View Poll Results: Do you want Tim to be Robin again?

Voters
149. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

36 24.16%
  • No

88 59.06%
  • Depends

25 16.78%
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

i just remembered that Bendis made him Robin again at the beginning of his Young Justice run and then came up with the Drake persona. And now he is going back to Robin again.

Tim is all over the place.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    i just remembered that Bendis made him Robin again at the beginning of his Young Justice run and then came up with the Drake persona. And now he is going back to Robin again.

Tim is all over the place.

Apparently, Tim was Red Robin at that time. This was mentioned in Young Justice #8.

That's why he never directly say he is Robin.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    Apparently, Tim was Red Robin at that time. This was mentioned in Young Justice #8.

That's why he never directly say he is Robin.
    But that kid does, and he has the single R...man, this is messy.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    DC had a great thing going with Red Robin before the New 52 derailed it. I was never big on the name, but I dug the costume and mindset Tim was in. I grew up with him and he is my favourite "Robin". But he has moved on from that title and should be his own man. All they need to do is ditch the "Drake" codename (which was incredibly lazy even for Bendis) and come up with a costume that mixes his pre-New 52/New 52 one. Once that's done, come up with a new name for him (Sparrow, Redbird, Night Glider, Hummingbird).
    Quote Originally Posted by Light of Justice View Post
    Hummingbird is already taken by Marvel telepath character. Redbird is Damian's temporary codename on Batman Inc (awful costume Dami btw), besides after Red Robin then there's Red Hood, he needs a name that's not started with Red. Night Glider sounds similar with Nightwing, makes you think, this one has wing and this one has glider? Sparrow is fine perhaps, I don't recall anyone use that name yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

I thought the Drake name and costume were serviceable enough; nothing to get excited about but not as awful as some here consider it. I'd be fine with him going by something else and writing "Drake" off as a failed experiment, but I don't want him taking up a moniker that's too recognizable. Dick took the name of a Kryptonian god that's a deep cut of Silver Age Super lore, and Jason took an equally deep cut from Bat history for the Red Hood name. If Tim doesn't get a brand new and unique codename, I'd rather see him do as his older "brothers" did and take a moniker that's mostly forgotten, rather than one people instantly recognize like the Question or Dr. Mid-Nite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Yeah... Robin was named after Robin HOOD anyway. (which is why Dick's costume looked the way it did), so if Tim MUST be named after a flying animal, why not another mammal like a Colugo or something?

As for my answer to the question at hand, no. At this point it'd be regressing the character. The thing is, unlike the previous two Robins he hasn't yet found a decent identity for himself outside of it... (Red Robin doesn't seem to be its own thing the way Nightwing and Red Hood are).
    No Bats, Hoods, Nights, Reds or Wings in Tim's new name.

Also, not any bird name will do; Golden Eagle is available (with a good-enough costume)...but I don't think it's right for Tim.

Ascended: good point about his brothers' names...I hadn't considered.

Gotham is available since Claire's brother is deceased. This name works if Tim gets powers...

I think we should start another thread about Tim's new name...after all we did it before.
    Last edited by scary harpy; 08-06-2020 at 11:47 AM.

Im fond of "Cardinal" or "Rook" myself.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I love the name Rook for him as both a bird themed nod as well as a chess piece.
    However, if we are looking at obscure DC character names to revive, how about sticking with reappropriating Super names...Valor? It means courage in the face of Danger. DC used it for Mon-El briefly. It certain fits Tim...

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    I think we can count on one hand how many times Morrison wrote Tim. So I’m not sure that’s true.
    He was a pretty frequent presence in the first half of Morrison's run, and then Incorporated. There was even a scene where Tim asked "am I still your partner?" and Bruce basically goes "yup."

He appeared as much as you would expect Robin to appear in a Batman book.
    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    For Babs maybe, because we got the Birds of Prey because of him. Dick? Eh, not so much. The Bludhaven era lasted a while but also didn't contribute that much. Best of Dick comes before or after it.
    Not just BoP but Batgirl Year One.

I think Dixon helped define Dick's personality as Nightwing and his place in the Batfamily.
    His Bruce is average at best, incredibly obnoxious at worst. In general his work never rises above workmanlike to me when I'm not being annoyed by it (like Nightwing Year One).
    I think his Bruce is actually really reminiscent of Bronze Age or B:TAS Bruce, at least for the main comics.
    I think you could swap out Tim for Dick (even as Nightwing) in some of the early scenes and you wouldn't notice a difference. It may actually work better for the story if Dick and Damian encounter each other earlier and have friction.
    I don't think it would've worked with Dick because so much of Damian's resentment toward's Tim were based around the Robin mantle and Tim taking his "place" as Bruce's kid. That wouldn't really have worked with an adult Dick Grayson living on his own as Nightwing.

Although the animated adaption had Dick and Damian meeting first (the quality of said meeting being up to personal taste).
    Tim vanishes after Bruce 'dies" and it's really not even that noticeable.
    What? No he didn't. He had his own series and helped spearhead the search for Bruce in that Return mini-series. Cass is the one who vanished.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Im fond of "Cardinal" or "Rook" myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I love the name Rook for him as both a bird themed nod as well as a chess piece.
    However, if we are looking at obscure DC character names to revive, how about sticking with reappropriating Super names...Valor? It means courage in the face of Danger. DC used it for Mon-El briefly. It certain fits Tim...

Plus, he would add this villainess to his rouge's gallery...

I marked depends. But here is why. I've not read every Batman comic, but has Tim ever had the "This is why I'm no longer Robin" storyline? Bruce died, Damian came around and became Robin. But did Tim ever really get closure on no longer being Robin?
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    I marked depends. But here is why. I've not read every Batman comic, but has Tim ever had the "This is why I'm no longer Robin" storyline? Bruce died, Damian came around and became Robin. But did Tim ever really get closure on no longer being Robin?
    I would say the Red Robin solo really focus on him as a independent hero. At the end, it seemed impossible that he could be Robin (or a sidekick) again.

However, retcons and bad writing in New52 shattered the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    I would say the Red Robin solo really focus on him as a independent hero. At the end, it seemed impossible that he could be Robin (or a sidekick) again.

However, retcons and bad writing in New52 shattered the character.
    Thanks, I think that is what I missed reading then.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Amazing Member

I agree with an idea that always tends to get brought up when this discussion comes around, that he needs to distance himself not only from the Robin name, but role.
    I as well enjoyed the pre52 Red Robin series, and it's characterization (costume not-withstanding) but I think we need to build off of that and take him out of the combat/costumed role.
    The investigator/strategist side of him has been more his "niche" since the inception, so it would make sense for him to slide over more to the "private detective" model, still active with the Young Justice / Titans crew, but less combat focused, let's be honest, he got his training and has is signature bo-staff, but that was never his forte.
    Push him more into the detective role, and it allows for him to distance himself from Gotham more naturally, globe trotting mysteries, or stick with the "teen detective in college route with Stephanie"

Quote Originally Posted by Light of Justice View Post
    Hummingbird is already taken by Marvel telepath character. Redbird is Damian's temporary codename on Batman Inc (awful costume Dami btw), besides after Red Robin then there's Red Hood, he needs a name that's not started with Red. Night Glider sounds similar with Nightwing, makes you think, this one has wing and this one has glider? Sparrow is fine perhaps, I don't recall anyone use that name yet.
    Sparrow was the name of the Tim and Jubilee merger in Amalgam Comics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    Very few people remembers Aracely at this point, I think. I mean, as a fan of Kaine's troupe, I wouldn't mind Tim taking the ID in DC. When was the last time she showed up, anyways? New Warriors, many years ago was the last time, right?
    Champions #6 last year, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingin' It View Post
    But that kid does, and he has the single R...man, this is messy.
    "That kid" is Jinny Hex.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    So, as I'm sure that everyone knows by now, Tim Drake is featured wearing his Robin costume again in the pages for Batman #100 and the cover for Young Justice #19 and #20, with Brian M Bendis labeling him as such on his Instagram post of the cover of 20:

Both issues (Batman 100 and YJ 20) are releasing in October, I believe, meaning that by the time October comes around Tim will be Robin again.
    Batman #100, yes. But it's Young Justice #19 in October. That cover for #20 hasn't been solicited yet! Out in November, presumably.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 08-06-2020 at 06:45 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Voted yes. Time just seems right as robin as his title. They never really moved him over to a different name and I think both him and damian can keep the title. If we can have like 6 different spider-man's over at marvel, we can have 2 robins in the DCU. Especially if it means that Time could get a solo book. His robin solo book was still the best it has gotten for the character and there is no way in hell, he is getting a solo series that will last named drake or red robin. Have him go back to being robin get a solo book.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Champions #6 last year, actually.
    Ohhhh, I guess I was wrong. I had no idea about that Champions issue.