View Poll Results: Do you want Tim to be Robin again?

Voters
149. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

36 24.16%
  • No

88 59.06%
  • Depends

25 16.78%
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Tim has been on record that he's always there for Bruce if he needs him, even if Bruce doesn't want Tim to spend so much of his life trying to be there for Bruce so he pushes Tim away.

I'm not sure if Tim has actually said on-panel if he'd be willing to become Robin again. I feel like Tynion might have written something to that effect, but I can't recall exactly.

I know Tynion prefers him as Robin so he might have had a hand in this.
    Tynion should have a big hand on that, because DC doesn't seem so interested on Tim.

I have seen the variant covers for Detective Comics 1027, where Batman appears along Dick, Barbara, Kate, Damian and Harley. However, Tim doesn't appear in any cover.
    Last edited by Konja7; 08-07-2020 at 09:36 PM.

No, I think it's silly he should move on from the title.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

I mean, they all share Bruce traits but some are more emphasized in certain individuals.
    And they can emphasize it all they want but it doesn’t make him particularly necessary or actually unique. They all do it. They could tell detective stories with any of them. Better ones too if I’m being honest as being the ‘best detective’ often just becomes a cheat to explain Tim inherently just knowing things.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 08-07-2020 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    And they can emphasize it all they want but it doesn’t make him particularly necessary or actually unique. They all do it. They could tell detective stories with any of them. Better ones too if I’m being honest as being the ‘best detective’ often just becomes a cheat to explain Tim inherently just knowing things.
    I enjoyed Dick's detective stories at Hudson U. And Black Mirror is probably the most notable detective story to come from any of the former Robins.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    I enjoyed Dick's detective stories at Hudson U. And Black Mirror is probably the most notable detective story to come from any of the former Robins.
    This. So much This.

We are constantly told that Tim is a detective. The best next to Bruce but we never actually get stories of Tim actually BEING a detective. Fans defend this by noting examples like; finding out B&R's identities which boils down to memory and convenience.

Tim single handedly looking for and finding Bruce when he was lost. He didn't. They all worked to find him. Dick was the one to find the 1st clues the one to find any sort of scientific evidence that Bruce was still alive.

All Tim had was a feeling no evidence just a feeling. Guess he's also a psychic

Ra's calls Tim a Detective the fans lose their minds like it's something that's never happened. Most Tim fans actually claim it to big something that's never happened. Big Fat lie. It's just another thing that originally was Dick's that now borrowed for Tim.

Ra's has called Dick Detective Twice by the time he used the name for Tim.

There's nothing in story that shows that Tim is a better detective. Quite the opposite is true in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Okay I've seen what fans want, what does Tim want? Would he want to be Robin again? Counting every characterization. I want what makes sense for the character.
    Tim said he wanted to be Robin because there was no one else. Lies since Nightwing is Right there.
    Tim later admitted to Jor-El that he believed he was the ONLY one that could help.
    It HAD to be him
    He wanted to impress them. He admits he wanted to impress them

Tim said that Batman needs a Robin to stop him from getting too dark - Rubbish. batman was already dark and the 90's was the era batjerk was at it's peak.

The only Robin that ever brought light to Batman's world was Dick Grayson whose intro led to light Batman stories.

Tim is still dressed as Robin 2 replacement sidekick's later and keep's asking Bruce if he can help [code can I come back]

Tim wants to be Robin. He is a fan who saw an opening to insert himself into the lives of his heroes and he exploited it.

Yes Tim still wants to be Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Agreed, the costume was designed for Dick as a general update for Robin. he also wore versions of it in high profile stuff like BTAS and Batman Forever in addition to the Titans cartoon, so I'd say he has equal claim to the costume as much as Tim.
    Animated Series Robin was Tim, not Dick.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    I marked depends. But here is why. I've not read every Batman comic, but has Tim ever had the "This is why I'm no longer Robin" storyline? Bruce died, Damian came around and became Robin. But did Tim ever really get closure on no longer being Robin?
    Did Jason?

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Animated Series Robin was Tim, not Dick.
    No, Tim joined in The New Adventures of Batman. BTAS initially featured Dick in the role.

Quote Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
    Tim had a normal family, school and social life outside of being Batman's sidekick. You cannot tell the Robin stories they did Tim with Jason, Dick or Damian, they were one and all raised in the world of supers where Tim still had one foot in the normal world.
    Okay but you can with Carrie. The original Robin with a normal life, the original 3rd Robin and the first female Robin.

I still would just have 3 because imo The Batman universe shouldn't contain any stories of a kid sneaking out to help batman without parental consent.

Looking at it from a business POV and I really wanted to tell stories of a Robin with a normal life juggling school, Robin and lying to the folks then I'd bring in Carrie who is Tim but much more inclusive. She also has a very refreshing bubbly personality.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Okay but you can with Carrie. The original Robin with a normal life, the original 3rd Robin and the first female Robin.

I still would just have 3 because imo The Batman universe shouldn't contain any stories of a kid sneaking out to help batman without parental consent.

Looking at it from a business POV and I really wanted to tell stories of a Robin with a normal life juggling school, Robin and lying to the folks then I'd bring in Carrie who is Tim but much more inclusive. She also has a very refreshing bubbly personality.
    Small detail: Carrie's stories take place in the farflung nightmarisch future of Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns. And people are far more familiar with a male Robin. If you want to do the Spider-Man thing of having to hide your superhero identity from your own family and school life with one of the most recognisable heroes DC has to offer in the main continuity, Tim Drake is best bet. If you prefer other Robins that's understandable but he's got plenty to offer from a business POV.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post

Honestly, there is no many possibilities for Carrie.

Tim will be the choice for a "normal life" Robin, although he will need some retcons to return to his "normal life" aspect. The character will need to recover his school life (and maybe his father).

If they want a female Robin, they will likely use Stephanie in that case. They just need to use her characterization in her Batgirl run, you will even have the "normal life" aspect.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
    Small detail: Carrie's stories take place in the farflung nightmarisch future of Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns. And people are far more familiar with a male Robin. If you want to do the Spider-Man thing of having to hide your superhero identity from your own family and school life with one of the most recognisable heroes DC has to offer in the main continuity, Tim Drake is best bet. If you prefer other Robins that's understandable but he's got plenty to offer from a business POV.
    As I said, Tim will need many retcons to recover in his "normal life" aspect in comics.

Outside comics, I really doubt they will use "normal life" Robin. They seem to prefer the orphan aspect or the son of Batman aspect for Robin, since he is usually Batman's supporting character (or leader of Teen Titans).

The only place where the "normal life" Robin (where he needs to hide his identity from his parents) could work is a series where Robin is the main protagonist.
    Last edited by Konja7; 08-08-2020 at 05:05 AM.

Incredible Member Light of Justice's Avatar

I don't really see Dick and Duke as being too similar to Peter Parker (well, maybe in terms of the jokes with Dick and their reputation with the ladies).

I get why Dick did it, and it worked out in the end, but it was still a jerk thing to do to his brother on such a short notice.
    Cut him some slack, it's not like Dick had many times on his behalf after Bruce's death. Tim and Jason fight for the cowl, burden of Batman and Gotham, Bruce's allies and contacts, and 10 years old twerp running wildly on Gotham, he barely had time to mourn Bruce properly. He tried his best to fill Bruce's absence, but he certainly didn't have enough time to do 'sit down and explain'.

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Find it hard that Snyder has said there are too many allies when he, himself, introduced two more in the form of Duke and Harper. But Gotham is ridiculously overpopulated with allies. Ideally, they would move most out like they did with Nightwing. The problem with that, is that it makes it hard to do crossovers when everyone is spread out. It's they made Bludhaven so close to Gotham.

As for Tim's skills? He was a gifted detective, yes. But he was adept with computers as well. More so than the Robins previous. The only Batfamily member better with computers is Babs.

I get what you mean. Because Snyder did at one point want to create the next Robin or nightwing

https://comicbook.com/dc/news/snyder...l-star-batman/

So he is contradictory. Maybe it's not crowded when it's his own personal creations that inhabit Gotham

Here are the first few links I can find where Snyder say's it's Crowed in Gotham [will upload the specific interview I was referencing if I find it. It was a Wondercon interview if anyone else has it bookmarked]

https://io9.gizmodo.com/scott-snyder...ess-1786698776

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/batman...-gotham-by-day

looking at all these several bad thing's that he want's to avoid or was advised to guard against
    Not just another body
    Taking a role that is already been filled
    Taking another mantle

These are all Tim

In this interview Snyder [Batman has too many sidekicks, editorial wants Batman solo and has done for a while, Tomasi's work was about Bruce and Damian emotionally connecting

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/why-...an-wayne-much/

The last link I included because it answers a couple of questions, clears up misconceptions that are often brought up re Robin's absence in the batman titles, Batman and Robin and batman has just far too many Robins it's time for something Better.

No he isn't the Best or even 2nd best when it comes to computers. Damian hacked Tim age 10. Hacked the JL aged 13. What was Tim doing at age 10 and 13 that show he is better or even is anywhere in Damian's league?
    Harper is a whiz How can you show me he is better than Harper

They are all detectives everysingle one and again there is no story evidence that shows us that Tim is any better than all the others. Just writers saying it isn't enough.

Jason doesn't get called the best detective but I am yet to see a story where he calls a Robin to help him because he sucks at investigations.

His day to day involves investigation and deduction, collecting evidence and interpreting info and he manages to do this for years now so I assume that he has those skills covered.

They all have exceptional detective skills and a few of them have been shown to be tech whiz kids so they all have those same skills
    Last edited by dietrich; 08-08-2020 at 06:13 AM.