View Poll Results: Do you want Tim to be Robin again?

Voters
149. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

36 24.16%
  • No

88 59.06%
  • Depends

25 16.78%
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Maybe an amalgamation of Tim Drake and Jason Todd would be best? Just mix Jason's gruff persona with Tim's detective skills. Instead of dying and coming back, just have him split over ideological differences. Becoming a more severe crime fighter.

They kind of blend surprising well if you think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Kate has sort of taken over the "independent Bat-female" niche anyway.
    Ehh, becoming debatable these days, Kate has been getting tied to Bruce more and more over the years. I mean, she takes orders from him now, and attends Batfamily events. Used to be they were pretty much the same age too, but she's gone from 32 to 27, wouldn't be surprised if she gets de-aged again later so she's closer to Dick's age group.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Maybe an amalgamation of Tim Drake and Jason Todd would be best? Just mix Jason's gruff persona with Tim's detective skills. Instead of dying and coming back, just have him split over ideological differences. Becoming a more severe crime fighter.

Sort of a lite version of the evil-alternate-future-Tim? Maybe. IMO I find Jason and Damian both more interesting than Tim.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Is it really a blend at all though? From the sounds of it you are essentially suggesting keep Jason as is except no more dying and putting greater emphasis on his detective abilities.

In Tynion's run on Detective Comics, he had Tim get an acceptance letter from Ivy Town University. So my pitch would be to go explore that option for a bit and see how people take to it. I'd even work in the name change to "Rook" or "Cardinal" but thats not essential.

Honestly I wouldn't be interested in him being Robin again but other people might. There isn't one set path for most characters to follow, you just gotta take a guess and see what happens.

Seeing that we are just throwing possible directions at this point i'm just gonna post what i said in the Tim thread, as Robin/Red Robin/Drake or whatever name that sounds decent:

-Either i would go for a detective noir type of book when it comes to him, when he takes every type of case, from typical murder cases to really weird misteries that you can only find in superhero comics. Nobody in the batfamily is doing Noir right now, so he might as well use it.

-Or i will retire him, but i will aim for a last good run before it happens, maybe he is trying to figuring out where he wants to take his life while doing one last superhero job, maybe a loose end for his previous solos, like that "Voice" from Red Robin #25 or stopping Ulysses Armstrong of creating a secret army aiming to throw thw world into chaos. Plus i will bring his parents back to life and i will actually give him a little sibling (i leaning more to girl than boy, but i'm still undecided), he never has to be the big brother before, so i want him to learn what is to take care of another person that relies on you. It wouldn't be out of characther for him and at least we get an ending, that's a better deal than most DC characthers these days, could be an ongoing, could be a mini or maxi of 8 to 12 issues.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    That’s not the point, the point is being the best at flips doesn’t actually make’s Dick genuinely special or unique. It doesn’t actually create situations or particular kinds of stories that are unique to him. This is the problem with trying to use general traits to define a character. At the the end of the day they all can flip.
    And there's more to Tim than just being a detective, just like Dick's acrobatics don't define him.

So basically just do what the DCAU did, more or less?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    Ehh, becoming debatable these days, Kate has been getting tied to Bruce more and more over the years. I mean, she takes orders from him now, and attends Batfamily events. Used to be they were pretty much the same age too, but she's gone from 32 to 27, wouldn't be surprised if she gets de-aged again later so she's closer to Dick's age group.
    The Bad Blood animated film made them childhood friends (and Dick joked about flirting with her when they were kids before he knew better).

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Is it really a blend at all though? From the sounds of it you are essentially suggesting keep Jason as is except no more dying and putting greater emphasis on his detective abilities.
    If you wanted to add more 'Tim Drake' stuff to the Jason/Tim amalgamation that's fine too. I'm not saying that the way I presented it is the only way, but Jason has held his own book and the role of an ideologically opposed Bat-character seems to fit a niche really well in Batman's world so that's worth keeping IMO.

A lite version of the future Tim we saw, with Jason's street smarts from the jump. He can still have figured out Batman and Robin's secret IDs and gotten them to train him, but just somewhere along that road he breaks off that path and goes his own way.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 08-08-2020 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

So basically just do what the DCAU did, more or less?
    Yeah, pretty much.

The more I think about it the more Jason and Tim could easily be the same character and still appeal to fans of both individual characters. It works.

Yeah, pretty much.

The more I think about it the more Jason and Tim could easily be the same character and still appeal to fans of both individual characters. It works.
    I dunno, I think fans of them as individuals would probably prefer them as individuals for all their differences rather than try and merge the two. They are very much not the same character and have two totally different takes on the Robin mantle.

Like, you could hypothetically combine one popular character with another, but that doesn't mean fans of the individual character would actually want that fusion.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I dunno, I think fans of them as individuals would probably prefer them as individuals for all their differences rather than try and merge the two. They are very much not the same character and have two totally different takes on the Robin mantle.

Like, you could hypothetically combine one popular character with another, but that doesn't mean fans of the individual character would actually want that fusion.
    Fusing and amalgamating characters is a tricky business, as often one character’s aspects overwhelm the other’s - CW Barry Allen is very much Comic!Barry in spite of absorbing a bit of Wally West, while DCAU Wally is very clearly Comics!Wally, with DCEU Barry being maybe the only one that actually seems to be more of a true fusion... and maybe the least popular of the three is spite of Ezra Miller’s acting skill.

DCAU Tim is really just Comic!Jason Todd; there’s simply very little of Tim’s nebbishness, sometimes neurotic humility, mild paranoia and “colder” dark side.

It’s not really worth doing Tim if he doesn’t seem like he’d be the more aloof straight man with occasional stutters of dorky geekiness, or act as the “teacher’s pet” Robin; that’s one reason why I do think Young Justice has a handle on him in spite of how brief his appearances are.

Heck, part of the problem with the New 52 version of Tim was that they tried to amalgamate him with Dick a bit, and it mostly backfired. Confident acrobats who show any sign of smoothness with the ladies are charming when they’re in limited supply.

Tim going back to a more formulaic mystery/noir set-up would be a good idea; that was kind fo how the Red Robin book was structured, as were the early Dixon-penned miniseries. It doesn’t require treating Tim as the *better* detective than the others, merely as the one who’s MO starts more as a detective before developing into the conventional superheroics.

And again, I’m just saying, if you could break out the cowled suit, and see what Nicieza was up to, I don’t think that book would be dead on arrival...
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castiel View Post
    Batman Who Laughs now goes by the Darkest Knight now. There aren't that many "clowns" if you think about it.
    Darkest Knight is still a clown. He's just an annoying OP one that writers are pushing as a big multiversal threat at the cost of everything else.

How many threads like this have we had?
    How many times have fans and Management tried desperately for find a place for Tim Drake?

One of the biggest problem's with comics is that it's run by people who grew up reading comics.
    Nostalgia clouds judgement.

I hope the Rumours that AT&T are bringing in people from outside comics is true. The market should dictate who gets to stay not some fanboy.

Tim Drake belongs in the trash. DC should stop wasting time and resources on him.

Astonishing Member

I've always loved the idea of reviving Gotham Central with Tim in the lead role. Not as a costume hero, but as a detective. For me, it would just be interesting and at the same time unusual. And it just fits perfectly into his character. Before that, if they showed the future, they preferred to put Barbara as a replacement for Gordon, but Tim could work much better in this role. And it's good way to keep him around without killing or forgetting about him.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    I've always loved the idea of reviving Gotham Central with Tim in the lead role. Not as a costume hero, but as a detective. For me, it would just be interesting and at the same time unusual. And it just fits perfectly into his character. Before that, if they showed the future, they preferred to put Barbara as a replacement for Gordon, but Tim could work much better in this role. And it's good way to keep him around without killing or forgetting about him.
    No thank you.
    1, Jim is far more popular and suitable
    2, No one wants Tim leaving his stink of mediocrity all over a franchise that's about to get a tv series.

Tim should be killed of and erased. When you find yourself typing a line like 'it's a way to keep him around' then it's pretty clear you have a dud on your hands.

DC isn't a charity. It's a business.

BANNED

You can say that about Damian also that he would have never come back alive and is a worthless rubbish character and should never have been conceived beyond a gimmick character having limited shelf life and is a rotten character who spreads his rotten stench wherever he appears. He should have been forgotten on the trash heap instead of Tim who arrived before him and is a much better character than the little pest.