View Poll Results: Do you want Tim to be Robin again?

Voters
149. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

36 24.16%
  • No

88 59.06%
  • Depends

25 16.78%
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

I've been interested in that for years. Ever since they stopped hating each other. That little interaction we got from the two of them in the Robin Anniversary was really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Admittedly Morrison seemed to prefer Tim as Bruce's partner than he did Damian, but of course back then Damian was partnered with Dick, so...
    I think we can count on one hand how many times Morrison wrote Tim. So I’m not sure that’s true.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    I think I stand by my original idea. Team him up with Damian. Damian is popular but he really doesn’t need to lead a book, Tim can actually be the “star” of the book and a writer can experiment to develop some going with him while having a strong dynamic to play off of.
    Not seeing what Damian gets out of being support to Tim.

To be honest i'm fine with him retiring and Jack Knight into the sunset, is not like it would be out of characther for him, he mentioned many times that he didn't plan to be a costume vigilant forever. But i want one last good run, a solo run, maybe a mini before that happens, but my expectations are low at this point i'm just expecting his total dissaperance.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

The Robin anniversary special went with Bruce deliberately acting in a way to make Dick leave so he could become his own man
    I was talking about Post-Crisis only, but yeah that one is better.

Admittedly Morrison seemed to prefer Tim as Bruce's partner than he did Damian, but of course back then Damian was partnered with Dick, so...
    I don't think that Morrison cared much for any of the Robins outside Dick and Damian, he didn't dislike then or anything, but his take on then is nothing special, his Tim was fine, he was a competent, self assured crime fighter but nothing that really stands out, his Jason....that one speak for itself.

Frankly, i would bet that Dick is the one and only partner for Bruce as far as he is concerned.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

I don't think Morrison like or dislike any of the Robins, to be honest.

Dick become Batman not because Morrison like him, but because he is the only option available and quite frankly the most suited for the role at that time. Damian become Robin basically to die and make it matter. Morrison wrote Jason the way he did to serve the plot, not because he dislike him.

As for OP's question, indifferent. I don't care much about the Robin mantle and whoever take it.
    “Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving.”
    – Dale Carnegie

Astonishing Member

DC had a great thing going with Red Robin before the New 52 derailed it. I was never big on the name, but I dug the costume and mindset Tim was in. I grew up with him and he is my favourite "Robin". But he has moved on from that title and should be his own man. All they need to do is ditch the "Drake" codename (which was incredibly lazy even for Bendis) and come up with a costume that mixes his pre-New 52/New 52 one. Once that's done, come up with a new name for him (Sparrow, Redbird, Night Glider, Hummingbird).

Love the character and want to see more of him but with Damian around it's time for him to move on. Not too crazy about "Drake" though... Never especially liked "Red Robin" either but I much prefer it.

Incredible Member Light of Justice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    DC had a great thing going with Red Robin before the New 52 derailed it. I was never big on the name, but I dug the costume and mindset Tim was in. I grew up with him and he is my favourite "Robin". But he has moved on from that title and should be his own man. All they need to do is ditch the "Drake" codename (which was incredibly lazy even for Bendis) and come up with a costume that mixes his pre-New 52/New 52 one. Once that's done, come up with a new name for him (Sparrow, Redbird, Night Glider, Hummingbird).
    Hummingbird is already taken by Marvel telepath character. Redbird is Damian's temporary codename on Batman Inc (awful costume Dami btw), besides after Red Robin then there's Red Hood, he needs a name that's not started with Red. Night Glider sounds similar with Nightwing, makes you think, this one has wing and this one has glider? Sparrow is fine perhaps, I don't recall anyone use that name yet.

Tim really needs to establish his own direction by establishing himself as an independent hero with a bird name that's not Robin. Surely that's unique and original and will provide him a chance to stand out a succeed.

Honestly Hummingbird, Sparrow, etc. is only a demotion as it puts him in the same subordinate role as Robin with similar themed costumes but without the iconography
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Really Bruce firing Dick is a pick your poison situation, you either go for Bruce being massively condescending and treating Dick like a kid, because now that he almost die figthing the Joker as an adult now makes you realize that putting a child in danger is bad, or you go the Year One route and Bruce being an *******. Neither of those takes are particurlay great.
    I pick the third and original option, which was pre-Crisis and wasn't nearly as bad as those two

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I would say those "just as good, if not better" takes probably were building off what Dixon did in some form or another.

On average I don't think his Bruce was that bad aside from certain instances.
    For Babs maybe, because we got the Birds of Prey because of him. Dick? Eh, not so much. The Bludhaven era lasted a while but also didn't contribute that much. Best of Dick comes before or after it.

His Bruce is average at best, incredibly obnoxious at worst. In general his work never rises above workmanlike to me when I'm not being annoyed by it (like Nightwing Year One).

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    I think we can count on one hand how many times Morrison wrote Tim. So I’m not sure that’s true.
    I think you could swap out Tim for Dick (even as Nightwing) in some of the early scenes and you wouldn't notice a difference. It may actually work better for the story if Dick and Damian encounter each other earlier and have friction.

Tim vanishes after Bruce 'dies" and it's really not even that noticeable.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Dick Grayson was my first Robin but Tim is my favorite Robin, that being said, I dont want to see him going back to that. When I hear Drake, I dont think of a dragon, I think of a duck. Combine that with an entirely boring costume...this was a huge mistep for the character. They could do so much better.

I got no desire to see Tim as Robin again.

I feel like, unless we're talking about a We Are Robin kind of situation, the Robin mantle is a "one at a time" gig; no need for multiple people using the name at once and I'm quite content to let Damian remain Robin for the foreseeable future.

I thought the Drake name and costume were serviceable enough; nothing to get excited about but not as awful as some here consider it. I'd be fine with him going by something else and writing "Drake" off as a failed experiment, but I don't want him taking up a moniker that's too recognizable. Dick took the name of a Kryptonian god that's a deep cut of Silver Age Super lore, and Jason took an equally deep cut from Bat history for the Red Hood name. If Tim doesn't get a brand new and unique codename, I'd rather see him do as his older "brothers" did and take a moniker that's mostly forgotten, rather than one people instantly recognize like the Question or Dr. Mid-Nite.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Light of Justice View Post
    Hummingbird is already taken by Marvel telepath character. Redbird is Damian's temporary codename on Batman Inc (awful costume Dami btw), besides after Red Robin then there's Red Hood, he needs a name that's not started with Red. Night Glider sounds similar with Nightwing, makes you think, this one has wing and this one has glider? Sparrow is fine perhaps, I don't recall anyone use that name yet.
    Very few people remembers Aracely at this point, I think. I mean, as a fan of Kaine's troupe, I wouldn't mind Tim taking the ID in DC. When was the last time she showed up, anyways? New Warriors, many years ago was the last time, right?

On the other hand, I like Kingfishers more, if we go for small badass birds. Or Wrens.

Edit: but a name that has nothing to do with birds would be nice too.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 08-06-2020 at 08:47 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    Very few people remembers Aracely at this point, I think. I mean, as a fan of Kaine's troupe, I wouldn't mind Tim taking the ID in DC. When was the last time she showed up, anyways? New Warriors, many years ago was the last time, right?

On the other hand, I like Kingfishers more, if we go for small badass birds. Or Wrens.

Edit: but a name that has nothing to do with birds would be nice too.
    Yeah... Robin was named after Robin HOOD anyway. (which is why Dick's costume looked the way it did), so if Tim MUST be named after a flying animal, why not another mammal like a Colugo or something?

As for my answer to the question at hand, no. At this point it'd be regressing the character. The thing is, unlike the previous two Robins he hasn't yet found a decent identity for himself outside of it... (Red Robin doesn't seem to be its own thing the way Nightwing and Red Hood are).