Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Default Which is bigger: Metropolis or Gotham?

DC's two inaugural Everyburgs. Metropolis was descended from Cleveland, but rapidly became New York. Gotham was implicitly New York from Day One. In spite of the "by day/by night" view, the towns have since diverged. So, being as they're separate, which is larger?

Metropolis is around 4-6 million population wise, we have any numbers for Gotham? No clue which covers more land area though.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    DC's two inaugural Everyburgs. Metropolis was descended from Cleveland, but rapidly became New York. Gotham was implicitly New York from Day One. In spite of the "by day/by night" view, the towns have since diverged. So, being as they're separate, which is larger?
    That is a good question. And anyone who states it's a good question usually doesn't have an answer.

My quick thoughts would say that Gotham has a larger population within the strict limits of the city, but Metropolis has a more populous metro area with more suburbs since Metropolis seems like more of a commuter city and Gotham has inner city decay and stuff. Also keep in mind, I pulled this out of my @$$ and it has NO actual evidence for or against.

I've tended to view Metropolis as the New York City of the two, with Gotham being closer to New Jersey cities or even Chicago because of the Nolan films. So I'd say Metropolis.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Not sure, but one interesting idea introduced in the DCEU is that they are sister cities across a bay from each other.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

...or maybe the DCEU didn't introduce the idea. Looks like the idea dates back to the Bronze Age:

Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Mighty Member

Gotham always appears older and more sprawly, while Metropolis comes off as a newer more modern city, but I have no definitive answer to that question.

That idea was continued in the DC Heroes rpg form Mayfair games which contained this map...

showing the proximity of Metropolis (in Deleware) and Gotham (in NJ).

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    ...or maybe the DCEU didn't introduce the idea. Looks like the idea dates back to the Bronze Age:

What issue is this from?
    Last edited by Agent Z; 08-05-2020 at 01:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    That idea was continued in the DC Heroes rpg form Mayfair games which contained this map...

showing the proximity of Metropolis (in Delaware) and Gotham (in NJ).

-M
    Cleghorn is halfway between 16 and 22 and deserves to be on this map.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I always imagined Gotham in CT (geographically Bridgeport, just sprawling and with actual industry) or NJ (Jersey City but gothic and sharing more architectural tissue with Manhattan).

Metropolis is on the Great Lakes, probably Illinois.

Not sure which is bigger. Metropolis is more modern, Gotham is an older port city with deep roots.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 08-06-2020 at 02:30 PM.

I say Metropolis just because theres more room for Superman to fight superhumans, giant robots, giant apes, etc... meanwhile Gotham I think tries to feel a bit claustrophobic with the dark atmosphere (even with amusement parks and hideouts).

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    I say Metropolis just because theres more room for Superman to fight superhumans, giant robots, giant apes, etc... meanwhile Gotham I think tries to feel a bit claustrophobic with the dark atmosphere (even with amusement parks and hideouts).
    I like that explanation!

Incredible Member

Gotham's population is usually given as 8 million in various comics and multimedia throughout all eras. In James Tynion's Batman and Detective Comics runs, he bumps it up to 9 million and refers to Gotham as the largest city in the country. Interestingly, an old issue of All-Star Comics (#35) makes this claim as well. So, Gotham is definitely bigger.

Extraordinary Member

I’ve kind of always thought of it as a similar deal to New York and Boston. Two major, historical, East coast cities that are only a few hours apart (New York to Boston is less than a 4 hour drive), both have a similar aesthetic, both on the water and have a commercialized harbor, one is thought of as the landmark city of the country and the other is a more historical major city that is recognizeable.

Not that they need to be exact analogies, but the dynamic is the same. Very much different shades of the same thing.

I’ve always viewed Central and Keystone as more midwestern cities like Chicago or KC (maybe St Louis). Coast City definitely feels like San Diego. So Cal but not as glitzy as LA. Opal feels like an obvious Baltimore allusion being in Maryland.