Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I never liked Metropolis and Gotham being so close. In my head cannon Metropolis being all bright and sunny and the fact that is is near the ocean and such i always place it in Florida. Gotham is where New York should be. And unless a story takes place in the real New York it just isnt there.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I never liked Metropolis and Gotham being so close. In my head cannon Metropolis being all bright and sunny and the fact that is is near the ocean and such i always place it in Florida. Gotham is where New York should be. And unless a story takes place in the real New York it just isnt there.
    Wait . . . you want Metropolis in the same state where Donald Trump is currently living?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Wait . . . you want Metropolis in the same state where Donald Trump is currently living?
    Eh, I like to pretend that in the DCU there is no Donald Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I dont even think about that when I read comics.

But looking at it I think of the alternate worlds theory. I mean in one world he has to be a good guy right? Hell there are good odds that in one alternate world he is a breakdancing clown filled with candy
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I dont even think about that when I read comics.

But looking at it I think of the alternate worlds theory. I mean in one world he has to be a good guy right? Hell there are good odds that in one alternate world he is a breakdancing clown filled with candy
    True - but Stephen King has already written all about that world...

Quote Originally Posted by NeathBlue View Post
    When I was reading comics as a kid in the 70’s, I always assumed Metropolis and Gotham were the DC equivalents of a sort, of Washington and New York.
    Their location has for whatever reason moved around over the years, but they seemed relatively close years ago.
    As I’m in work and can’t put my hands on it right now, but doesn’t Superman say something along the lines of there’s no Metropolis or Gotham in Justice League 153 when they arrive in New York on ‘our’ earth? Insinuating that both cities are in close proximity to New York.

Yes he did say something along those lines.
    John Martin, citizen & rightful ruler of the omniverse.

Quote Originally Posted by NeathBlue View Post
    When I was reading comics as a kid in the 70’s, I always assumed Metropolis and Gotham were the DC equivalents of a sort, of Washington and New York.
    Their location has for whatever reason moved around over the years, but they seemed relatively close years ago.
    As I’m in work and can’t put my hands on it right now, but doesn’t Superman say something along the lines of there’s no Metropolis or Gotham in Justice League 153 when they arrive in New York on ‘our’ earth? Insinuating that both cities are in close proximity to New York.
    There was also a line in JLA/Avengers where it's said that Marvel Earth is "less developed" with fewer cities than DC Earth. Although it's not stated that was because of no Gotham, metropolis, etc, I think that was Kurt Busiak's reasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Eh, I like to pretend that in the DCU there is no Donald Trump.
    Maybe he’s the equivalent of Lex...without the intelligence?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I'm not checking the lore, but I imagine it would be Metropolis since it's older and get to be a metropolis faster, also Gotham's landmass is limited to that three islands and only recently they expand to the mainland with Burnside

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I'm not crazy about that either, but what can you do. It makes zero sense for Superman as a character to ignore an entire section of his city, and there have since been walkbacks on what is extremely out of character for Clark, but I find it hard to believe that any major city like Metropolis doesn't have sectors of it which are just not that well-off.
    Not that well, off, sure. Even poverty-ridden and high-crime areas. But Suicide Slum was very extreme, of course, and the way it was used for Superman left it "tainted" to me for any association with him. Also, as I've said before, if Suicide Slum is going to have it's own hero, it needs to be not in Metropolis if that hero is going to grow (in a real-world sense) in his/her own right - elsewise, they'll always be at the whims of Superman storylines for big events in the city and I think it makes it more difficult for said hero to shine when (for the vast majority of casual fans), they hear the city name and expect Superman. Obviously, I think it can work sometimes (early Booster Gold in Metropolis and so not Superman, but well, he's meant to not measure up at that time), but not as it's typically used, where either the other hero stays in the shadow or the major hero of the city gets crapped on. I'm fond of other Bats leaving Gotham for similar reasons.

I'm not checking the lore, but I imagine it would be Metropolis since it's older and get to be a metropolis faster, also Gotham's landmass is limited to that three islands and only recently they expand to the mainland with Burnside
    Was that NML-thing? I mean, were the islands established then or earlier.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 02-02-2021 at 02:44 AM.

Keep in mind it's just my personal impression, but I feel that Metropolis is a lot less populated than Gotham. It's more a high-rise, high-profile kind of city, with a few slums yes, but most a bustling Central Business District, vast neighborhoods for rich folks and then the poor areas, with most people working there actually living n the metropolitan area instead of the city proper.

Gotham, and it's twin-city Blüdhaven seems to a be a lot older and filled to the brim with people. You've got old money and old towers, but also an insane number of poor people, ranging from recent immigrant backgrounds (with whole neighborhoods being basically ethnically segregated), poor US citizens since generations and then the ones on free fall from the social ladder. I feel that despite the nocturnal dangers, poor peoples would rather congregate in Gotham for a sort of protection by numbers while Metropolis is totally out of their reach, really/

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Was that NML-thing? I mean, were the islands established then or earlier.
    The map was created for NML. I don't know when exactly they started using the islands

BANNED

Gotham used to feel bigger when Batman was not really popular. It was the base of operation not only for human vigilante like Batman but also for Green Lantern Alan Scott and Black Canary.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post
    Gotham used to feel bigger when Batman was not really popular. It was the base of operation not only for human vigilante like Batman but also for Green Lantern Alan Scott and Black Canary.
    deleted. reading comprehension score, zero.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 02-02-2021 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post
    I must not have read that stretch of Green Arrow. I always thought his turf was Star City.
    Wait . . . where does Green Arrow come into this?