Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I'm leery of Vanya being a bullet timer. I'd chalk that more up to her powers being activated as the trigger was pulled, and some bad cinematography for how fast bullets move in relation to people. I've seen clips like that before where normal people are shown throwing arms up and the like while a bullet is in flight, and Vanya really isn't presented as particularly super human in physical stats. (Five is another matter. He's presented as extremely fast and dangerous in hand to hand, so I'm more inclined to accept his speed blitz scene at face value, even if it is absurd.) Quite the opposite actually. Not that it matters here, she just nukes the whole warehouse.

Also, am I the only one who felt like Diego's bullet bending felt like a new power they made up on the fly that he really should have used earlier if he had it all along?
    You are not alone. I felt like it was made up out of nowhere. There is some justification since he seems to be able to make knives move in impossible directions after he has already thrown them. He also has displayed aim dodging against multiple bullets though maybe the idea was that he was also moving them away from himself. What I found to be total P.I.S. was that, if he can do stuff like that, a bunch of normal people shouldn't be able to hold him in a facility for five minutes if he decides he's leaving.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post

Klaus vs Jessica Jones

I guess we'd have to give Klaus the ability to summon ghosts who interfere in the fight otherwise there is no fight. This is more a question of whether Ben can manifest enough to beat her. But she only has to land one hit on Klaus so I'm betting on her.
    Klaus is really a prep-time character. He needs to find a ghost and convince it to help him. He's basically powerless in non-prep situations, it's just that most of the time he has prep, since he's always socializing, both with the living and the dead. Since this is non-prep, she just backhands him like she did Hellcat.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

You are not alone. I felt like it was made up out of nowhere. There is some justification since he seems to be able to make knives move in impossible directions after he has already thrown them. He also has displayed aim dodging against multiple bullets though maybe the idea was that he was also moving them away from himself. What I found to be total P.I.S. was that, if he can do stuff like that, a bunch of normal people shouldn't be able to hold him in a facility for five minutes if he decides he's leaving.
    I honestly didn't understand what was happening when he first started doing it, so foreign did the ability seem.i thought it was just time slowing down, or Vanya joining the fight already. I did not get why Diego went into that weird pose for either thing. It didn't help that that scene, and the one with siblings trying to reach the convulsing Vanya, added very little when Vanya and Ben were the only ones who mattered.

Like, I could have dug it if Diego tried using the power in the hospital fight against the Swedes and realized he was too loopy from the drugs still. But I don't even recall that. Not that I didn't thoroughly enjoy the season, mind you.
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 08-23-2020 at 06:58 AM.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

That, to me, was just evidence that they follow rumbles and decided to give a good feat. I can't explain it otherwise.

But yes, I loved the season and binged it in a day and a half I think.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

I'm leery of Vanya being a bullet timer. I'd chalk that more up to her powers being activated as the trigger was pulled, and some bad cinematography for how fast bullets move in relation to people.
    Indeed, Vanya is plenty powerful already, let's not give her comicbook DD level speed just yet.

As for the fight, can Scarlet witch still use her mindcontrol thingie she did in Ultron?

Then again...Vanya bloodlusted can just do a army leveler shockwave and basically kills everyone including her team mates assuming scarlet witch can't use a forcefield or something

Quote Originally Posted by Oswin View Post
    As for the fight, can Scarlet witch still use her mindcontrol thingie she did in Ultron?

Then again...Vanya bloodlusted can just do a army leveler shockwave and basically kills everyone including her team mates assuming scarlet witch can't use a forcefield or something
    Yep. AoE destruction is the shortest way many rumbles end outside of speed blitz, especially in team fights.

Vanya also seems to have enough control now to blow up everyone but her family. Not that this matters in a bloodlusted rumble.

She flat out bulle times 3 times - in the initial fight, she does it to a freaking tank gun, which is MUCH faster than a bullet, and she does it two other times to bullets AFTER they are fired. It's the definition of bullet timing here, and it's really clear as day.
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Spectacular Member

About Deigo curving bullets; I'm pretty sure that the farm fight was the first time that he'd tried it. You can see him try to stop them dead before redirecting them instead, so it didn't look like something he'd practiced before.

At minimum, that's the first time he's done it on purpose.

As for Vanya's speed, I think that what's going on is that her powers activate extremely quickly, so that she only has to flinch when she sees a muzzle flash for something to happen. Borderline autoshields in other words, but I don't think that she can do anything precise or complicated that quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    She flat out bulle times 3 times - in the initial fight, she does it to a freaking tank gun, which is MUCH faster than a bullet, and she does it two other times to bullets AFTER they are fired. It's the definition of bullet timing here, and it's really clear as day.
    Having watched the awesome intro again....she actually DOES react after the round is fired lol (raising her hands when it's close)

Maybe when she is in white violin mode she is hyper aware of projectiles or something, but she never shows these amazingly fast reflexes aside from when it comes to bullets apparently..

One a side note: when i think of a bullet timer i'm thinking about people like cassandra cain and dare devil, which Vanya is not.
    Last edited by Oswin; 08-25-2020 at 12:51 PM.

Well, yeah, I'm not suggesting that she can dance her way through automatic gunfire à la Danny Rand, but yeah, she clearly, repeatedly shows that she can react at extremely solid bullet-timer levels with her powers. She does it several times, ranging from relatively close range with a freaking tank shell, to almost physical contact range to bullets. It's just this thing that she does, whether it really "makes sense" or not. Cass Cain and Matt Murdock hit that level simply through training, as silly as that already is, and we accept that. She at least is a stupidly powerful metahuman - believing that this grants her the ability to react to bullets precisely after they are fired seems just fine and dandy to me, especially given that she doesn't have bunches of feats where she fails to so react. There's the one, where the Handler guns them all down, but that was PIS, basically, designed to let us see Five's growth.

She also gets clocked by a cop with a the butt of a gun, and fails to activate her powers fast enough to prevent the nurse from cloroforming her or the agent from electrocuting her. Yeah, PIS is a thing, but when the contrast is this extreme and there isn't enough history to establish a consistent trend, we can't simply ignore the low stuff. That's part of why presentation is important, and she's presented as someone that can be physically overpowered easily before she gets her powers up and running.

It is possible that there's another explanation at play, of course. Maybe her weird sonic/vibration powers are triggered by the sound of a gunshot or the velocity of a bullet. An automatic response, kind of like the force fields in Dune. So she can be slowly smothered into dream land by Luther, but will shred bullets mid flight. That could be giving the writers too much credit, but it works better than "can react to bullets in flight but not county sheriffs clubbing her."

She also gets clocked by a cop with a the butt of a gun, and fails to activate her powers fast enough to prevent the nurse from cloroforming her or the agent from electrocuting her. Yeah, PIS is a thing, but when the contrast is this extreme and there isn't enough history to establish a consistent trend, we can't simply ignore the low stuff. That's part of why presentation is important, and she's presented as someone that can be physically overpowered easily before she gets her powers up and running.

It is possible that there's another explanation at play, of course. Maybe her weird sonic/vibration powers are triggered by the sound of a gunshot or the velocity of a bullet. An automatic response, kind of like the force fields in Dune. So she can be slowly smothered into dream land by Luther, but will shred bullets mid flight. That could be giving the writers too much credit, but it works better than "can react to bullets in flight but not county sheriffs clubbing her."
    In fairness, the clubbing was from behind I think. She never saw it coming. Not that I'm denying the point. She's inconsistent and in a way that feels more than just P.I.S. It's about 50-50.
    Power with Girl is better.

Diego vs Bullseye

I have not seen MCU Bullseye. Diego is quite the anomaly or maybe P.I.S. He can do superhuman things with knives, mostly put a curve on his throw. But we also see he can have some sort of telekinetic effect on other small objects. Plus he dodges bullets or at least aim dodges which makes it serious P.I.S. that a group of normal humans could capture him or hold him. Still, pass on the fight.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

In fairness, the clubbing was from behind I think. She never saw it coming. Not that I'm denying the point. She's inconsistent and in a way that feels more than just P.I.S. It's about 50-50.
    The clubbing was most definitely from outside of her field of vision.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate