Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Empyre: X-Men #2 spoilers

What the f-word is going on here on this day?

Apparently the quiet council didn't do a very good job of warning their war generals that a group of dangerous old ladies who want to murder the entire planet could have access to the Krakoan gates, because Magik & co spend most of the time having no idea what to do with them. That leads to Angel and Madrox being mindcontrolled to help Hordeculture by some sort of special pheromones.

Magik wants to end the grannies for once and for all, but it all gets interrupted by another round of plants vs. zombies. In the fight, 'Yana calls for help from her demon friends, but that isn't enough to face the Cotati's "seedpod" from their warship, which turns the soil of Genosha itself as a weapon. The seedpod traps Monet, Madrox and two members of Hordeculture inside of it. From Krakoa, Black Tom senses that something is wrong and uses the dirt and pollen (!) that Warren carried with him to communicate with the team.

Black Tom, Magik and the remaining Hordeculture members come up with a plan using Krakoa's defensive mechanisms against the Cotati's invasive plants, but while it works to free Monet and Madrox from being trapped, it also leads to another problem as Krakoa feeds on psychic energy and knocks out Monet (serving Storm on X-Men: Gold realness). Due to that, Magik nicely convinces (sic) the Hordeculture ladies to fix the Krakoan gates and, as a war captain, calls for help from all the psychics on Krakoa - which means Kid Omega, the Cuckoos, Exodus, Lady Mastermind, Selene, Sinister, Mastermind... and the Shadow King??!!

tl;dr it's a huge f-wordČ mess.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Magik's characterization was off in the first two sections. The plot was a little too much for me, the writers were pretty clearly trying to keep getting bigger and more chaotic and it's not as entertaining as they think it is. Werneck's art was the highlight, everyone looked gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    Magik's characterization was off in the first two sections. The plot was a little too much for me, the writers were pretty clearly trying to keep getting bigger and more chaotic and it's not as entertaining as they think it is. Werneck's art was the highlight, everyone looked gorgeous.
    Pretty much this ^

I'm curious about the ominous telepaths gang.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

I thoroughly enjoyed the issue and liked how bada$$ Majik was in the issue. Looking forward to issue 3 and the whereabouts of Scarlet Witch.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

It has been very chaotic. I understand that for writers it can be fun to go from one to the other but the first number was definitely much more cohesive than this one.

I want to know if it's really Shadow King or just Amahl Farouk with body modification like Monet/Penance or Angel/Archangel.

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    I'm curious about the ominous telepaths gang.
    I have a feeling they're just there to juice Krakoa.

I do hope they follow up on the Scarlet Witch and don't drop it.

Shadow King on Krakoa raises questions.

Magik is bad ass no matter what. She has a more calmed internal chaos. So her cussing every 5 min seemed so high school.

And I agree the writers jammed a lot into this miniseries. But I guess Hickman isnt going to delve more into Hordeculture in X-Men. Don't know why else he would stick them in this other than the plant stuff? Just seems over bloated.

Wasnt bad but wasnt great.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    I have a feeling they're just there to juice Krakoa.

I do hope they follow up on the Scarlet Witch and don't drop it.

Shadow King on Krakoa raises questions.
    Yes, I think it is obviously for that. For Krakoa to beat the other plants needs all the psionic energy possible and telepaths have much more psionic energy than any other mutant.

Of course, some like Exodus or Sinister don't need telepathy to kick ass.

The use of Magik here really annoys me.

If you wanted to use Jubilee, use freaking Jubilee. Or Boom Boom! or Shark Girl or any other spunky X-Woman.
    Last edited by MYCMTSC; 08-05-2020 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    But I guess Hickman isnt going to delve more into Hordeculture in X-Men. Don't know why else he would stick them in this other than the plant stuff?
    It was Tini who added Hordeculture, from hearing how this thing was written it sounds like a writer did whatever they wanted in their pages and then handed it off to the next guy to deal with. I'm sure Hickman has his own plans for the murder grandmas.

well, this went downhill fast.

I think this idea of one writer going crazier that the other is good on paper, but this issue looked messy.

Duggan clearly wanted Magik's demons from limbo to be a big part in the next section, but Ben dropped it and they never showed again. Then Ben brought the big plant Cotati thing with Explodey boy, but Leah made it less important, and just an opportunity to show the X-men in chaos and to bring the telepaths to show more crazy stuff. Let's see what Brisson will make of it.

At least Hickman will finish this, and I trust him with the story, since the first issue was much better.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

I enjoyed this alright

Magik needed to be dialed down a bit, but there were elements I enjoyed with her (War Captain look!). Tossing the Soulsword too. Although they were fleeting, I did enjoy the Monet moments. The "clear thinking" thing was cool IMO. Nice to see her super intelligence at play, even if it wasn't super ground breaking what she did.

doesn't this make Black Tom Cassidy omega level?
    His powers have certainly increased and forming yourself from dirt on someone from across the planet is pretty omega...

It was refreshing to see Monet use her powers in combat and not the Penance form, but besides that I'm underwhelmed by her role in this event. She hardly got any lines, and with her being unconscious and all these psychics showing up I don't think she'll get to do much next issue. It's not a good look shoving the only woman of color in this cast into the background...