Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham citizen View Post
    ... here comes my entry!
    ...or am I late?
    Not by my calendar.
    You can find a bunch of books I wrote stories for here. The weekly column is here.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Fedoras weren't originally a private eye thing. That's something that has come out afterwards, out of film noir. Originally, the first popular user was Sarah Bernhardt, and up until the mid-20s it was primarily a woman's headgear, and specifically a signum of early feminism and the suffragette movement.

Which means I have a little list of characters I'd like to see rocking fedoras…

(This also means one of the few fashion mistakes in the Wonder Woman movie. It's not Steve who should wear a fedora—it's Diana, or even better, Etta!)
    I find that very interesting and honestly don't know why.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Astonishing Member

Just curious - what is the name for the type of hat that Diana did wear in the movie? (Does it even have a name?)

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    I find that very interesting and honestly don't know why.
    ^^^Same!

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Just curious - what is the name for the type of hat that Diana did wear in the movie? (Does it even have a name?)

^^^i found this site...

https://vintagedancer.com/1900s/wond...1918-clothing/

...that went over her London wardrobe in some pretty good detail.

About her hat it said:

Diana’s hat was a simple blue brushed fur hat with a round crown, flat brim, and wide grosgrain band. It mimics the men’s derby or bowler hat (although with a wider brim) which was very common at this time. The blue also adds a bit of color to her otherwise gray London ensemble.

I think WW's hat would be considered a fedora, for the time. If you look at Sarah Bernhardt's hat, it was not like what we think of as a fedora. It just was a cloth hat with a brim.

Very interesting that the term Fedora came from a real-life person who was being portrayed in a play. From what I read, originally the "fedora" was a female thing, then a male and female thing, but over time it was co-opted as a symbol of masculinity, so much so much so that today it even gets shamed.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    I think WW's hat would be considered a fedora, for the time. If you look at Sarah Bernhardt's hat, it was not like what we think of as a fedora. It just was a cloth hat with a brim.

Very interesting that the term Fedora came from a real-life person who was being portrayed in a play. From what I read, originally the "fedora" was a female thing, then a male and female thing, but over time it was co-opted as a symbol of masculinity, so much so much so that today it even gets shamed.
    Hey, men got the fedora, women got high heels, who’s origins can be traced back to Persian men in the 10th century, who wore heels while on horseback so their feet would fit better in the stirrups.

I think we all came out winners!

Were the Scottish the originators of the skirt? Twiggy owes her fame to William Wallace?

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

The story is a little more complex: the "fedora style hat" was invented by the Italian hat manufacture Borsalino (in fact we don't use the term fedora, but the term "borsalino hat") in the 1859, then the female version of the borsalino hat became famous when it was used in the comedy "Fedora" by Sarah Bernhardt in the 1889. Instead the male variant of the borsalino hat start to become popular during the twenties, because it was used by the real gangsters first and then by the fictional detectives: it was elegant but allowed to (partially) hide the face of who wears it; for the same reason a borsalino hat variant was also used by Indiana Jones (at least this is what I read): it made more "rustic" the character and it hid the face of the stuntmen, when they took the Harrison Ford's place.

Astonishing Member

Thanks for that. I was thinking it looked like a bowler or derby, but with a wide brim. Apparently, that description is in fact the name for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Gotham citizen View Post
    The story is a little more complex: the "fedora style hat" was invented by the Italian hat manufacture Borsalino (in fact we don't use the term fedora, but the term "borsalino hat") in the 1859, then the female version of the borsalino hat became famous when it was used in the comedy "Fedora" by Sarah Bernhardt in the 1889. Instead the male variant of the borsalino hat start to become popular during the twenties, because it was used by the real gangsters first and then by the fictional detectives: it was elegant but allowed to (partially) hide the face of who wears it; for the same reason a borsalino hat variant was also used by Indiana Jones (at least this is what I read): it made more "rustic" the character and it hid the face of the stuntmen, when they took the Harrison Ford's place.
    Borsalino, I love it.

There wasn't a lot I liked about Elsa's character in the third Indiana Jones movie, but I did like that she wore this hat this way:

Couldn't find a photo of it, but she wore something much more like a fedora in Germany.

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Is this the hat?
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ALISON-D...-/153533997257

I hope Greg Hatcher will be happy to know I was able to narrow the covers among there will be the one I vote to 5 and the the voting day is tomorrow.

Most classic hats are like that: there were rather simple adjustments in details and in molding between various types of hats. But compared to a classic fedora, Diana's hat has some clear differences: The grosgrain band is very wide, and the crown is not meant to be shaped or creased. The brim is simple, and looks to be shaped in a permanent raised circle. It's more similar in style to a homburg (which is sort of intermediate between a fedora and Diana's hat).

I'm also unsure if the picture of Sarah Bernhardt online shows her with a fedora.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Were the Scottish the originators of the skirt? Twiggy owes her fame to William Wallace?
    Nah, not Wallace.
    The oldest skirt ever found was in Armenia, and was 5,900 years old.

A Will Eisner cover is always the thing to beat, and this time, no-one managed: Kirby101!

Honourable mention to Scott Taylor: fedoras were originally women's fashion.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Lots of great choices this week! I'm going with seismic-2 and the world's coolest archaeologist!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!