Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

I am loving this weeks contest, don't know how I will pick one to vote for.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I am loving this weeks contest, don't know how I will pick one to vote for.
    Admittedly, I wasn't sold on the idea at first, but I got onboard and found a good entry. And yeah, there are a lot of terrific entries which will make choosing a winner difficult.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

There are so many options for covers. Some pretty well known characters who've not yet been chosen! It is a great contest so far.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I am loving this weeks contest,
    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Admittedly, I wasn't sold on the idea at first, but I got onboard...
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    It is a great contest so far.
    So....hats off to Greg Hatcher, then?

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post

Chaykin did 2, maybe 3, covers for Marvel’s The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones book, and interiors on one issue for certain. I can’t remember if he did interiors on more, though.
    Chaykin did layouts on #6, with finished art by Terry Austin.

Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    Chaykin did layouts on #6, with finished art by Terry Austin.
    Yeah! And a good looking issue that was.
    Covers for that issue, 8, 9, and 10 were also by Chaykin. Michael Golden did a few lovely covers, and of course John Byrne did the scripts/layouts for the first two issues (and an awesome in-house ad for the book that gave us a look at Indy’s office).
    The creative teams on that book were pretty inconsistent though, which I’m sure led to its demise.

Yeah! And a good looking issue that was.
    Covers for that issue, 8, 9, and 10 were also by Chaykin. Michael Golden did a few lovely covers, and of course John Byrne did the scripts/layouts for the first two issues (and an awesome in-house ad for the book that gave us a look at Indy’s office).
    The creative teams on that book were pretty inconsistent though, which I’m sure led to its demise.
    I have to agree with you.

In particular, Steve Ditko was entirely the wrong artist to illustrate Indy's pulp-style adventures.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

In particular, Steve Ditko was entirely the wrong artist to illustrate Indy's pulp-style adventures.
    Considering the fantasy aspects of RotLA and its sequels, the writers could have easily written stories that played better to Ditko's strength, like like psychedelic illusions brought on by toad poison in the Amazon or hypnotic manipulation by the medicine men of some lost tribe. Wasted opportunity.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

I like Steve Ditko. I did NOT like him on this book.
    One artist that stood out to me back then was Kerry Gammill. I think he had a real sense of what made Indy work; his style evoked the pulp era feeling while being really crisp and fresh. I enjoyed his body of work on the book.

My blushes. I was just trying to think of something not-superhero, so it would be a bit more of a challenge, and as it happened this collection was sitting by the desk here in the office, which got me thinking about private eyes. But that seemed too easy, and then I thought of the hat thing. So there you have it.

It certainly has been a lot of fun. You all have really surpassed my expectations. It's going to be a difficult choice!
    You can find a bunch of books I wrote stories for here. The weekly column is here.

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Admittedly, I wasn't sold on the idea at first, but I got onboard and found a good entry. And yeah, there are a lot of terrific entries which will make choosing a winner difficult.
    Me too: this week I wanted participate, but then I suddenly remembered about Leo Pulp (an Italian parody of the detectives like Dick Tracy) so… here comes my entry!

Or am I late?

Fedoras weren't originally a private eye thing. That's something that has come out afterwards, out of film noir. Originally, the first popular user was Sarah Bernhardt, and up until the mid-20s it was primarily a woman's headgear, and specifically a signum of early feminism and the suffragette movement.

Which means I have a little list of characters I'd like to see rocking fedoras…

(This also means one of the few fashion mistakes in the Wonder Woman movie. It's not Steve who should wear a fedora—it's Diana, or even better, Etta!)
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])