Spectacular Member

Default Defenders by J.M. Dematteis - is it any good?

I just discovered Marvel collected a bunch of this series from the 80s. I haven't heard anything about this run but it sounds really freaking cool and I like the team rosters, so I might pull the trigger on a bunch of the trades. Thoughts?

As a big fan of the Defenders and JM DeMatteis, I would say that his issues(essentially 92-131) were OK but not the strongest of his work nor the Defenders series.

I enjoy them and own them but have never recommended them to someone. There are lots of better choices for both.

If you enjoy comics of that era(early 1980s), pull the trigger. I suspect you will enjoy them but there will be little lasting impression.

I enjoyed the first two-thirds of DeMatteis's run at the time, and liked it much better than most issues after #50. Don Perlin's art tended to look pretty rough when inked by anyone except Joe Sinnott or Kim DeMulder. I didn't think much of DeMatteis' New Defenders (#125 up) or the storyline leading into it, which brought back Steve Gerber's Elf With a Gun.

I don't remember disliking it ... but honestly I don't remember the run much as a hole. So I guess that means it didn't leave much of an impression.

Astonishing Member

He had some interesting ideas -- especially the Six-Fingered Hand story, but Don Perlin just wasn't capable of making it work. Had the art team still been Buscema/Janson --- maybe. But I felt the series had run out of steam soon after Valkyrie went to Asgard. Ed Hannigan should have remained the artist -- and not switched roles to writer.

BANNED

I liked mutants like Angel, Iceman and Beast being members of the super hero team Defenders alongside non-mutant marvel characters REALLY wanna see this in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

A little bit too wierd for me, but I liked it. IMHO, it could have benefited from a stronger artist. Don Perlin wasn't bad, but, for me, too much meat and potatoes. He lacked that star factor.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    I liked mutants like Angel, Iceman and Beast being members of the super hero team Defenders alongside non-mutant marvel characters REALLY wanna see this in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
    Good times, good times... I miss these times when a mutant could be a normal person who just got powers from birth...