Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Fanto.mx View Post
    This is Morrison:

I’ll never understand how writers completely missed what was written in those panels, especially Remender. It is almost as if they didn’t read the actual issues that Morrison wrote and just liked the very superficial aspects of the character. That is why I’ll never be a fan of Remender’s version of the character.
    Last edited by Technopriest; 08-10-2020 at 03:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    Xavier? That would be interesting.
    There was a theory going around a few years ago that that was actually the case, considering that even his real name/designation is Charlie Cluster-7, and it would also explain why he looked like Xavier when he took over his body.

The only other writer that seemed to actually understand the concept of the character was Jason Aaron in Dark Reign: Wolverine-The List. I actually believe he was probably the only one to bother to read the issues that Morrison wrote and do his research. That issue actually encapsulated the essence of the character beautifully.

Quote Originally Posted by gambitxremy View Post
    Who is fantomex a clone of
    Xavier? That would be interesting.
    I took that little sequence to show an iterative process, rather than the Sinister-like process of mashing known mutants together. So Fantomex (and his double, Ultimaton) wouldn't be a clone of anyone but each other, built from scratch, with one little change. Part of this is in the actual text of GSF1, but part of it is that the iteration with tiny changes is The World's entire schtick.

Quote Originally Posted by Technopriest View Post
    One of the aspects that I enjoyed the most of Morrison’s Fantomex was the unreliable narrator, where Fantomex was not only was working the characters within the comics but also the readers of the comic, it was all very meta. Sadly later writers completely misunderstood that and took the stuff that were supposed to be part of his misdirection powers as actually real (like how Remender took the mother, the mansion and his background as a thief as being real when it was quite clearly laid out as part of Fantomex misdirecting Jean and Xavier.
    Fantomex made his lies real; it wasn't a mistake. And there was a full explanation about his "mother" in the book.

Also want to drop this in here:

Seems like I may not have missed anything and the mystery of Fantomex's resurrection is still a mystery.

Fantomex made his lies real; it wasn't a mistake. And there was a full explanation about his "mother" in the book.
    When did this happened? Because, granted the mansion could have been eventually built and he could run around Europe trying to earn that reputation, but his mother was never meant to be real, and unless Remender actually explained that in X-Force that always was to me a misinterpretation of the character (and he got a lot of the concept wrong, which is why I am not a fan of his version of Fanto).

Yes. I think that Remender will be ignored since it set Fanto as half mutant and half sentinel while Hickman said he's not a mutant specifically, like Morrison intended.

The timeline for last issue was all messed up though.
    Yes, I prefer Fanto as the super sentinel/enhanced/evolved human through technology over the half mutant/half sentinel that we got with Remender. If anything, I think Fantomex will probably be connected to the CotV, considering how similar their origins and explanations for powers are, and how The World and The Vault are pretty much the same concept. I can see it the same way Morrison set up Weapon X to be an offshoot of the Weapon Plus program, with the CotV being an offshoot of the Weapon XIII experiment.
    Last edited by Technopriest; 08-10-2020 at 09:40 AM.

Would anyone be interested in doing a Fantomex book club kind of thing? Something like 3 issues a week, moving from first appearance to now?

Back to the big topic:

Is Giant Size Fantomex a retcon? Implanted memories? An artifact of Secret Wars and Franklin Richards? Time shenanigans due to the wibbly wobbliness of The World? Something else?

Would anyone be interested in doing a Fantomex book club kind of thing? Something like 3 issues a week, moving from first appearance to now?
    I recently did a full reread. It was fun.

A lot of the pages from Giant Size Fantomex are up as artist proofs here: https://www.essentialsequential.com/..._1645-1-4.html

I bought two of them, pages 8 and 29. Seems like they're going pretty fast.

With Giant-Size Fantomex coming out, it's time for a Fantomex thread!

I do want to dig into the fun and beauty of the book (and character) but right now I have one major question:

How is Fantomex alive? The book skips over the whole possessed-by-Xavier-and-then-shot-in-the-head-and-therefore-apparently-dead part. And there are indications in the book that it wasn't The Five, since he's sitting outside the gate when the other X-Men arrive, and that's ignoring the fact that he's not really a mutant at all.

Big Question #2: Where's EVA?
    Just got caught up on this, so it's a bit late.

But yeah, I was hoping for some kind of explanation about how Xavier and Fantomex got separated. I guess you can infer that they just cloned Xavier a new body off panel sometime early in the chain of events with Krakoa, allowing Fantomex to take over his own body again, but it would have been nice to see that. And yeah, it was a bit odd they mentioned EVA not even once.

All in all it kinda posed more questions than answers, and then ended on a cliffhanger, which I presume will be answered in X-Men, and as a result it kinda felt like maybe it should have happened in the main book instead?

but it was interesting, and I love Reis' art, so it was very pretty to look at, and some of the eastereggs they slipped in were fun, though often very obscure.

https://scoobydoo.fandom.com/wiki/Ba...e_Humungonauts
    https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Mr._Pebbles
    and so on.

Oh, and yes, Gunn's team sounds super fun.
    Last edited by Raye; 08-19-2020 at 01:27 AM.

BANNED

So, if Fantomex is an artificially evolved human-mutate with three brains, a external nervous system and 'nano-active blood' -- can he be brought back through the Resurrection Protocols if he dies again? I mean since there just happens to be a vat of molten Adamantium on the island for Logan's resurrection -- is there a store of 'Nano-active blood' on the island for Fantomex too? Moreover, since he constantly wears that ceramic anti-telepathy headpiece does he even have a Cerebro profile on file?

Considering he is back bc he likely went through the Resurrection process, I think the answer is yes

BANNED

Umm... Okay? I thought Fantomex was killed in Uncanny X-Force #27 when the Skinless Man ripped out his heart and was cloned and reborn in #35 at the White Sky Facility.
    Last edited by Micabe; 08-20-2020 at 06:51 AM.