Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 145
  1. #106
    Extraordinary Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    6,485

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Interestingly, the fact that he rarely shares his accomplishments, except shady government entities that are probably trying to kill Superman, he really hasn’t advanced science that much.
    Agreed, natch. Real scientists share their work, submit to peer review, and discuss their findings.

  2. #107
    Extraordinary Member manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    5,611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    There's nothing wrong with doing stuff for yourself or that you want to do, but if it is out of pure selfishness and without care for others or for ultimately evil ends, it's less forgivable. Nothing is wrong with Lex being passionate about science, just how he uses said passion.

    I don't think Clark is a Superhero for adulation or to make himself feel better beyond feeling good by doing good, but he still does stuff for himself.
    Define pure selfishness?if you mean scientific ethics and morality when you say disregard of other people.Sure,but then clark has broken time barriers,created a physical plain in phantom zone...etx done some of the destructive things disregarding consequences.heck!if you go by chaos theorey and butterfly effect superman's existence throws a monkey rench into the system and causes things to go out of wack.

    Well,what happens when clark does'nt feel good by doing good?there is difference between doing the right thing and doing good.Sometimes,you don't feel good.They say he likes writing.i have'nt seen that expanded at all.His muscles are hot air.As researcher,collector and assembler of technology,artifacts,even preserver of endangered species .i guess,clark does good work.Even then that's more silverage and bronze age kal el superman ,not postcrisis clark kent superman.Even then kal does not share a damn thing.He is just like lex.His knoweledge,tech..etc are shoved in fortress amd that's that.As said,Clark and lex are'nt really different
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 10-13-2020 at 09:18 PM.

  3. #108
    Fantastic Member llozymandias's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    If that's so why did NASA hire Braun and consult him if all he did was just touch up Goddard's work without addition. The reason is that Braun invented the V2 rockets using camp inmates as slave labor, killing more constructing it, and then the rockets themselves ever did when it was shot across England and Holland.

    It's a pretty cheap way to dodge the comparison.



    And Luthor doesn't do that? Like in 52 where a year without Superman, when he had a chance to be a hero among people, he revealed himself to be a true a--hole.



    And Luthor doesn't do that? Luthor's experimented on people, cloned people, tortured clones and so on and so forth, and has also killed many innocent people. That puts him in company with the Tuskegee Doctors and Mengele certainly.


    Surprised that you even know Goddard existed. Too many people give von Braun all the credit for rocketry.



    With his intellect Lex can create new better drugs. Yes i know, those new drugs are almost always treatments, instead of outright cures. That is because Lex wants people to be dependant on him.



    Lex does scientific & tecnological research. The tuskegee doctos & mengele were doing half assed "research" in order to "prove" crackpot racist nonsense.



    Btw i am aware that Lex does not advance science. He is not a real person. At least not in our universe.
    John Martin, citizen & rightful ruler of the omniverse.

  4. #109
    Astonishing Member DochaDocha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,315

    Default

    With the spate of bad Nobel prize winners (mostly in the "Peace" category) throughout the years, maybe Luthor should have won a Nobel himself. We talk a lot about the exceptionalism of the Superman cast, and Luthor is certainly the most exceptional outside the Man of Steel himself: exceptionally brilliant, exceptionally bad, exceptionally bald.

    Not originally intented to make all those Bs...

  5. #110
    Death becomes you Osiris-Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    7,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    With the spate of bad Nobel prize winners (mostly in the "Peace" category) throughout the years, maybe Luthor should have won a Nobel himself. We talk a lot about the exceptionalism of the Superman cast, and Luthor is certainly the most exceptional outside the Man of Steel himself: exceptionally brilliant, exceptionally bad, exceptionally bald.

    Not originally intented to make all those Bs...
    On the Supergirl TV show Lex Luthor did win the Nobel Peace Prize.


  6. #111
    Astonishing Member DochaDocha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    On the Supergirl TV show Lex Luthor did win the Nobel Peace Prize.

    That's some spot-on satire.

  7. #112
    Extraordinary Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    6,485

    Default

    The Nobel Peace Prize isn't the same as the Nobel prizes for physics and chemistry and other sciences.

  8. #113
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    I agree that he should have multiple angles. But to me, his scientist side should be almost his "main" angle as I think Lex being one of the worlds smartest people and best scientists is something that should genuinely make him happy. Business is business but I think science is something that Lex should truly pride himself on. But as I said, he can also have the businessman angle to facilitate his science and sometimes to use to fight Superman
    I disagree with that. Lex has definitely been very happy with his business acumen and shady dealings. And he's the arrogant man who takes pride in all he does. It doesn't matter if it's science or business to Lex because they're no different to him. In order to have more or less value there must be a difference between them. For us fans there's an obvious difference, but think about it, to Lex they're puzzles to solves, paths to power, means to an ends, ways to impress, platforms to show his superiority, and weapons against his alien foe. The differences only stand out to us readers, and being the nerdy guys we are we prefer the science fiction gadgets and the mad scientist. But to Lex he doesn't care about science or business in and of themselves, but how they can serve his ego or meet his ends. They're tools employed to showcase his greatness.

    Or at least, that's how I view it or prefer it. The truth is he can easily love or prefer or rely on one or the other easy depending on the writer, and whether it's science or business either one is in character for a decades old malleable icon. Neither of us are right, that's the nature of comics like this. But for me, there's something about the scheming Lex who uses all these fields as nothing more than tools to feed his own ego and fight Superman that just appeals. Sometimes he's more scientist, sometimes more businessman, sometimes the two are more blended, but they all work to showcase the fiendish and diabolical intellect and cunning we love so well.

  9. #114
    Mighty Member Waterfall's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,594

    Default

    I don't like the whole "he's actually a good guy" angle with him. He's a billionaire and like all rich people he's not a "nice dude". I want him to be extremely a political character and a comment on just how far capitalism is willing to go.

  10. #115
    Courage looks like this Powerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Agreed, natch. Real scientists share their work, submit to peer review, and discuss their findings.
    That's a criticism valid for all comic book scientists and gadgeteers. Reed Richards invented the flying car in 1961. Where's mine?

    I think that, in order to keep the world essentially the same as in reality for the everyday person, writers never change the world as it should really change based on the existence of super science.
    This is what courage looks like.

  11. #116
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    2,099

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Waterfall View Post
    I don't like the whole "he's actually a good guy" angle with him. He's a billionaire and like all rich people he's not a "nice dude". I want him to be extremely a political character and a comment on just how far capitalism is willing to go.
    I think the reason why they do that is because that in itself is a cliche.

  12. #117
    Astonishing Member DochaDocha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I think that, in order to keep the world essentially the same as in reality for the everyday person, writers never change the world as it should really change based on the existence of super science.
    There are a lot of things that'll make it hard for the MCU to keep the momentum rolling, but I think it's going to be harder to tell Earth-bound stories when you combine all of the technological advances that have gone in in the movies, particularly Black Panther, as well as the time jump. Of course, COVID-19 essentially got us one year closer to 2023 where the MCU left off... But specific to tech, BP ended with T'Challa saying he's going to share Wakanda tech with the world. It's easier to tell these stories when tech is limited to a small handful of guys like Tony Stark.

  13. #118
    Astonishing Member Tzigone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2,750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Waterfall View Post
    I don't like the whole "he's actually a good guy" angle with him. He's a billionaire and like all rich people he's not a "nice dude". I want him to be extremely a political character and a comment on just how far capitalism is willing to go.
    I hate the "good guy" angle too. Not because capitalism (or science, as I do like him with science and tech focus) is evil, but because Lex is evil. He's selfish and egocentric and petty and enjoys watching people squirm and bending them to his will and being the most powerful person in the room.

  14. #119
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    5,887

    Default

    I like the good guy angle... but only because Lex is that proud and narcissistic. He wants to be seen as the hero of the people, he wants human to be supreme to gods, and he's the best human ever, so he should be the best good guy every, at the top.

    So he will do good, but out of that sense of superiority, not altruism, and it's something that can fall apart when he needs to be genuinely heroic because his sense of self-preservation and goal to be the leader of humanity triumphs over the need to help people.

    Like, nah, I'm not gonna sacrifice myself to kill an evil god, I need to lead the survivors. Superman, you do it.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 10-20-2020 at 04:57 AM.

  15. #120
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    2,099

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I like the good guy angle... but only because Lex is that proud and narcissistic. He wants to be seen as the hero of the people, he wants human to be supreme to gods, and he's the best human ever, so he should be the best good guy every, at the top.

    So he will do good, but out of that sense of superiority, not altruism, and it's something that can fall apart when he needs to be genuinely heroic because his sense of self-preservation and goal to be the leader of humanity triumphs over the need to help people.

    Like, nah, I'm not gonna sacrifice myself to kill an evil god, I need to lead the survivors. Superman, you do it.
    As always, it depends on how the story is written. Anything can work.

    Personally, it’s more important that Superman is a good guy than Lex is a bad guy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •