Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 80
  1. #31
    Fantastic Member llozymandias's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    My single most complete and encompassing controversial Luthor opinion is this: the idea that Luthor is an irredeemable bastard who is the worst humanity can offer is eye-rollingly stupid and dull to me, compared to the complexity of sympathetic, even semi-heroic Luthor, whether he's eventually fated for redemption as Elliot Maggin wrote, well-intentioned but misguided to begin with as in Young Justice animated, or just forever doomed by his own pettiness. Either way, a Luthor without redeeming characteristics is frankly, just boring as hell to me.

    Here's my old collection of Silver Age panels showcasing Luthor's better nature that I put together when I was in college, haha!



    Hey my favorite character is Lex Luthor not Snidely Whiplash. Yes, he does have some good qualities. It's just that when he is in villain mode, his evil nature takes over. A Luthor who is no real threat to anyone, is totally pointless as a character.
    John Martin, citizen & rightful ruler of the omniverse.

  2. #32
    Fantastic Member llozymandias's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Here's another one.

    Elliot Magin's Luthor sucks and is a terrible take on the character.



    Magin's stories had some good moments, but too often he did watered down retellings of Jerry Siegel's work.
    John Martin, citizen & rightful ruler of the omniverse.

  3. #33
    Astonishing Member marhawkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    3,299

    Default

    Luthor should get into more fights with other villains. doesn't make sense for them to be cool with some of his schemes.

  4. #34

    Default

    Lex Luthor was a better POTUS than Trump.

  5. #35
    Fantastic Member witchboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberstrike View Post
    Lex Luthor was a better POTUS than Trump.
    I've been saying that for a long time.
    Byrne's Trump influenced reboot of Luther, combined with both of them becoming President, is really odd now in retrospect.

  6. #36
    Fantastic Member llozymandias's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    353

    Default

    Most of the crimes that put Lex in prison (silver/bronze age) were ones he commited before he bacame an adult. Most of the "crimes" he commited after that were not crimes until after he did them. Many of his crimes were believed (by just about everyone) to be absolutely impossible. Then he does those things. Which leads to them being made into crimes. You only outlaw things that can be done.
    John Martin, citizen & rightful ruler of the omniverse.

  7. #37
    Fantastic Member witchboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by llozymandias View Post
    Most of the crimes that put Lex in prison (silver/bronze age) were ones he commited before he bacame an adult. Most of the "crimes" he commited after that were not crimes until after he did them. Many of his crimes were believed (by just about everyone) to be absolutely impossible. Then he does those things. Which leads to them being made into crimes. You only outlaw things that can be done.
    I have read a lot of Silver Age comics lately, and every once in awhile Lex will try to rob a bank. I really hate it, as I feel it's beneath him to do something so common, but I think of it as him needing seed money for something more ambitious. So he was definitely committing real crimes. Plus there's all those attempted murders of Superman.

  8. #38
    Astonishing Member marhawkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    3,299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by llozymandias View Post
    Most of the crimes that put Lex in prison (silver/bronze age) were ones he commited before he bacame an adult. Most of the "crimes" he commited after that were not crimes until after he did them. Many of his crimes were believed (by just about everyone) to be absolutely impossible. Then he does those things. Which leads to them being made into crimes. You only outlaw things that can be done.
    The laws actually have pretty broad definitions for "catch-all" crimes. I remember one supervillain who was billed as coming from a future where tech had been invented that let him do things that aren't technically crimes. One example was using a fancy teleporter to extract the gold from underneath an area where no one was mining gold.

    Well it fits the general concept of stealing, and also mineral rights. Realistically it'd be considered mining even if you're using fancy tech and not excavators.

  9. #39
    Fantastic Member llozymandias's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    I have read a lot of Silver Age comics lately, and every once in awhile Lex will try to rob a bank. I really hate it, as I feel it's beneath him to do something so common, but I think of it as him needing seed money for something more ambitious. So he was definitely committing real crimes. Plus there's all those attempted murders of Superman.

    I could think of two reasons Lex would have had for robbing banks. He has a new anti Superman weapon. Easy way to get Superman's attention was to rob a bank. Make the authorities think that his finances come from crime. Most of his money came from his minor inventions. He would patent & sell/license them through alternate identities. He did not want that investigated.
    John Martin, citizen & rightful ruler of the omniverse.

  10. #40
    Fantastic Member llozymandias's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    The laws actually have pretty broad definitions for "catch-all" crimes. I remember one supervillain who was billed as coming from a future where tech had been invented that let him do things that aren't technically crimes. One example was using a fancy teleporter to extract the gold from underneath an area where no one was mining gold.

    Well it fits the general concept of stealing, and also mineral rights. Realistically it'd be considered mining even if you're using fancy tech and not excavators.



    I was thinking of times he did things like "steal" the sun. Or when he invented two rays; an evaporation ray & a precipitation ray.
    John Martin, citizen & rightful ruler of the omniverse.

  11. #41
    Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Cairo, Egypt
    Posts
    561

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by llozymandias View Post
    I could think of two reasons Lex would have had for robbing banks. He has a new anti Superman weapon. Easy way to get Superman's attention was to rob a bank. Make the authorities think that his finances come from crime. Most of his money came from his minor inventions. He would patent & sell/license them through alternate identities. He did not want that investigated.
    I like how Maggin retcon his crimes like robbing banks were all just a ruse to get Superman's attention while he used fake identities to create businesses to finance his schemes.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

    Credit for avatar goes to zclark

  12. #42
    Mighty Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    WGBS
    Posts
    1,861

    Default

    Speaking of Maggin, I don't get why he thinks Lex would be obsessed with Einstein. That has to be Maggin just sharing his own obsessions.

  13. #43
    Astonishing Member Adekis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by llozymandias View Post
    Hey my favorite character is Lex Luthor not Snidely Whiplash. Yes, he does have some good qualities. It's just that when he is in villain mode, his evil nature takes over. A Luthor who is no real threat to anyone, is totally pointless as a character.
    Well hey, I never said that Luthor shouldn't be a threat to anyone, but I think he'd kill a cop, but not a bystander, he's that kind of crook. He'd never stoop so low as to take a hostage, in my view. I mean, in the decades of Luthor stories, I'm sure he's taken hostages before, but you know what I mean. I don't think he'd try to blow up the whole world either, even though there's definitely stories where he's done that.

    Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    I like how Maggin retcon his crimes like robbing banks were all just a ruse to get Superman's attention while he used fake identities to create businesses to finance his schemes.
    I love those fake identities, those are a lot of fun. It also makes sense to me that they're the reason he's never considered that Superman might be Clark Kent. Luthor himself has so many secret identities, and he's not attached to any of them, so it'd just never occur to him that his rival's secret identity is the love of Superman's life - the exact opposite approach.

    Tired: Luthor thinks Superman would never have a secret identity so he never has to stop showing off his powers.

    Wired: Luthor thinks Superman has dozens of secret identities, none of which matter to him.
    WHEN YOU DON'T VOTE, IT ISN'T REBELLION, IT'S SURRENDER!

    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

  14. #44

    Default

    Supergirl's Jon Cryer is the best live action TV show version of Lex Luthor combining the elements from more recent comics, TV shows, movies, and real world people to create a believable and frightening version of the character.

    Gene Hackman is still the best movie version of the character.

  15. #45
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,413

    Default

    Lex Luthor should always be the smartest guy in the room. That should be the reason why he is able to stay out of prison because he is always two steps ahead of Superman. Superman knows Lex is bad but Lex should always be smart enough to not leave any proof lying around that can prove it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •