Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 LastLast
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    The Green Lantern's death wasn't great either - he got stripped to his underwear and mutilated at the same time (due to King Shark taking the ring). Still, all the mocking in the lead up to Batman's demise (if you watch the All Batman Scenes clip), spoilers:
    which as it turns out was unnecessary (they didn't even have to kill him),
    end of spoilers was indeed the nastiest of the bunch.

The men's deaths, for the most part, were played for laughs. If the writers were able to understand that mocking Wonder Woman would have been wrong, hence she was the only member of the JL the SS didn't kill - then they understood that mocking the others was wrong too. I suspect that whoever was in charge likely feared the backlash for WW more. I guess they underestimated how offended most of the fan base would be for the rest of the JL as well.

I think the reasoning for the choices are actually very clear - 2 males, 2 females. And yet they didn't want to go with original female villains that already exist, but instead legacy characters linked to males counterparts. They couldn't, for example, have used Killer Frost instead of Victoria Fries?
    The profiles written for the Justice League members are terrible too. I absolutely hate how John's dosser is written to make him out to be a uncle Tom. I have no idea why Deadshot was the one to write it. He's not his villain.

Lex Luthor being the one to write Wonder Woman's is pure bullshit. It's out of character for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The profiles written for the Justice League members are terrible too. I absolutely hate how John's dosser is written to make him out to be a uncle Tom. I have no idea why Deadshot was the one to write it. He's not his villain.

Lex Luthor being the one to write Wonder Woman's is pure bullshit. It's out of character for him.
    This is the same game where Lois Lane gives a sterling eulogy to Wonder Woman while villifying Superman.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Apparently a lot of this can be blamed on Sweet Baby Inc, which is a company game developers apparently use to pad out writing when they are too busy with other stuff, and apparently they are very ESG/DEI friendly so that explains stuff like Lex fawning over Amazon society and ‘toxic masculinity’…

If it was Lois I might believe that somewhat but Lex saying so is ridiculous and shows little understanding about his character traditionally.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Apparently a lot of this can be blamed on Sweet Baby Inc, which is a company game developers apparently use to pad out writing when they are too busy with other stuff, and apparently they are very ESG/DEI friendly so that explains stuff like Lex fawning over Amazon society and ‘toxic masculinity’…

If it was Lois I might believe that somewhat but Lex saying so is ridiculous and shows little understanding about his character traditionally.
    What does ESG/DEI have to do with this??

This is solely a case of bad corporate decisions, "Environmental, Social and Governance" and "Diversity, Equity and Inclusion" doesn't even factor into this.
    Last edited by Username taken; 02-06-2024 at 11:30 AM.

This Sweet Baby Inc stuff seems so out of proportion these days - we don’t know what actual effect they’ve had on the game’s script, but I’ve seen way too many of the ‘go woke, go broke’ click bait YouTubers drag them through the mud to actually believe they have as much influence on games as they think. Any time they’re brought up it’s usually to blame them for diversity or inclusion - is it hard to believe Rocksteady’s own writers came up with these elements? Are we really surprised that Harley is less sexualised in a post ‘me too’ era? Or that they decided a black Deadshot would synergise better with the movies’ rendition of the character? Or that toxic masculinity might play a part in a story about super villains and heroes?

The fact is, Rocksteady and WB Games are to blame for any story decisions, mechanics, designs etc in this game. Even if Sweet Baby Inc had a big say on this game and created every story beat that people hated, Rocksteady did not have to hire them or use their work. It’s an executive decision, and a question of good leadership, as opposed to an external company coming in and taking control of the project

Maybe Sweet Baby Inc did have as big a hand in bad characters and plot points, but it’s not their fault that the game is bad

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    This Sweet Baby Inc stuff seems so out of proportion these days - we don’t know what actual effect they’ve had on the game’s script, but I’ve seen way too many of the ‘go woke, go broke’ click bait YouTubers drag them through the mud to actually believe they have as much influence on games as they think. Any time they’re brought up it’s usually to blame them for diversity or inclusion - is it hard to believe Rocksteady’s own writers came up with these elements? Are we really surprised that Harley is less sexualised in a post ‘me too’ era? Or that they decided a black Deadshot would synergise better with the movies’ rendition of the character? Or that toxic masculinity might play a part in a story about super villains and heroes?

The fact is, Rocksteady and WB Games are to blame for any story decisions, mechanics, designs etc in this game. Even if Sweet Baby Inc had a big say on this game and created every story beat that people hated, Rocksteady did not have to hire them or use their work. It’s an executive decision, and a question of good leadership, as opposed to an external company coming in and taking control of the project

Maybe Sweet Baby Inc did have as big a hand in bad characters and plot points, but it’s not their fault that the game is bad
    Exactly.

WB and Rocksteady are to blame here for bone-headed decisions.

They literally had the final say on everything that messed up the game.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly.

WB and Rocksteady are to blame here for bone-headed decisions.

They literally had the final say on everything that messed up the game.

Rocksteady was forced more into this by WB. Its not a shocker that the people in charge mostly left once they were forced into creating this mess.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Rocksteady was forced more into this by WB. Its not a shocker that the people in charge mostly left once they were forced into creating this mess.
    I’m iffy on that tbh - I don’t think the WB from 9 or so years ago were as intent on live service games as they are now. I think it’s very plausible that Hill and Walker thought they could make a great live service game that could make their studio a great amount of money. I think if any studio had a bit of Lee-way to make whatever game they wanted, it was Rocksteady after Arkham Knight.

I know everybody wants Rocksteady to take as little blame as possible for this, but I don’t think they were as forced as people have implied. I think they wanted to make this game, and realised a bit too late that it wasn’t the best move, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    What does ESG/DEI have to do with this??

This is solely a case of bad corporate decisions, "Environmental, Social and Governance" and "Diversity, Equity and Inclusion" doesn't even factor into this.
    I think he’s trying to blame “woke cancel culture” for Suicide Squad being crap lol

Are we really surprised that Harley is less sexualised in a post ‘me too’ era?
    I mean, isn't Rocksteady who originally sexualized her? She was still wearing the traditional harlequin outfit when Arkham Asylum came out.

Make you sick, then sell the cure.

It’s been a pretty good run overall I think, minus this, Gotham Knights and Avengers. 3 Insomniac Spider-Man games, GotG, Modnight Suns, MUA3. Granted, DC haven’t got a lot on there (ironic as they were doing better than Marvel a decade ago with Arkham and Injustice).

Coming up we have Wonder Woman, Wolverine, Blade, Iron Man, Black Panther, Captain America/Black Panther - AND the leaked Insomniac titles. And everything appears to be single player - so fingers crossed we have good times ahead.

I wish DC would tell us what else they have on the way though. I hope they aren’t just sticking with studios inside WB, as that will definitely limit what they can do
    Ah, yet another possible reason Wonder Woman didn't get mocked like the other JL members.

Midnight Suns isn't the genre of game I usually play, but maybe I'll check out some reviews, but GotG definitely looks more my style. I've heard some mixed things about the Spider-Man games, so I'm not sure if I want to get invested.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    I mean, isn't Rocksteady who originally sexualized her? She was still wearing the traditional harlequin outfit when Arkham Asylum came out.

Make you sick, then sell the cure.
    I don't know much about this Sweet Baby Inc group, but they sound a lot like sensitivity readers - which reminds of the whole Roald Dahl situation a while back. But the game developer credited is Rocksteady, not Sweet Baby Inc.

The hypocrisy is weird though - yes, Harley is less sexualized, but there is a scene with the camera focusing on Deadshot's butt and Harley subsequently grabbing said butt. I'm not bothered by the scene, but it feels hypocritical that it's there given that this consultancy firm is apparently against such things (or you would think). Plus, the Green Lantern stripped to his underwear. It feels like much of the media listened to the complaints of the oversexualization of women and just said "Ok, we can't do that with female characters anymore - let's just do it to the males instead".

Personally, I think a blanket ban is the wrong approach - it should be a case by case basis depending on varying factors such as: intended audience, genre, the personality of the character and how they like to dress/present themselves (in the context of the sexualization in a dress/behavior sense, not the assault), the context of the situation etc But I'm going off into a rant now, so I'll stop.
    Last edited by Bat-Meal; 02-06-2024 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Clarification.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    BBL Harley aside, the Arkham Knight graphics were amazing for a game from the previous generation.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I think the facial capture is better overall with Suicide Squad but it is true that Arkham Knight is incredibly good in how it looks even after ten years. Really captured Gotham City in the way Gotham Knights turned out something far more generic.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    Ah, yet another possible reason Wonder Woman didn't get mocked like the other JL members.

Midnight Suns isn't the genre of game I usually play, but maybe I'll check out some reviews, but GotG definitely looks more my style. I've heard some mixed things about the Spider-Man games, so I'm not sure if I want to get invested.
    The Spider-Man games play like some of the older 3D games. You swing around New York and beat people up. SM1 has better use of their villains.
    "Cable was right!"