Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

It’s not about being vindictive, but more that there would be an audience that would root for them to win under any circumstance. And would celebrate the underdog likable criminals triumphing over privileged heroes. Save for Wonder Women. In even simpler terms they thought there would be a generation of fans who like the SS more then the JL. DC can’t help but eat themselves with other media.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 02-01-2024 at 11:02 PM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    It’s not about being vindictive, but more that there would be an audience that would root for them to win under any circumstance. And would celebrate the underdog likable criminals triumphing over privileged heroes. Save for Wonder Women. In even simpler terms they thought there would be a generation of fans who like the SS more then the JL. DC can’t help but eat themselves with other media.
    The Suicide Squad haven't had enough years as being marketed as likable anti-heroes like Venom, Punisher and Deadpool for that to even work.
    "Cable was right!"

I don't play modern video games I'm an old schooler who likes Arcade type games and platformers, but I have watched on Youtube over the years the cut scenes from the Arkham games and Injustice Games like movies. So, I'm not in the loop with gaming but I heard about the backlash to this and watched the death scenes and I have one question. Who was this made for? Because I'm seriously at a loss to answer that question.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    The Suicide Squad haven't had enough years as being marketed as likable anti-heroes like Venom, Punisher and Deadpool for that to even work.
    Ya, ultimately it didn’t turn out that way. But at the time of conception they seem to have thought they would have, and the SS was going to be the next Deadpool/Guardians. The movie influence is very present in this game. It’s very apparent they were working based on the idea that DCs film universe was going to be more successful then it turned out to be.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 02-02-2024 at 03:44 AM.

Astonishing Member

Going by reactions to the story it sounds like it was written by an editor-less Garth Ennis.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    I think people had an expectation that Conroy's Batman , his iconic voice would be used in a better way. They saw this and felt betrayed and now WB is quickly back pedaling saying Conroy had 2 more projects before he passed as the voice of Batman.

They wanted more of this honestly. People are angry over how the entire league was made to look awful and be mocked as jokes.
    I get not liking the story, and wishing it was better, of course - I just don’t see it as disrespect to Kevin Conroy’s legacy. I think that him viewing it as worth his own time and talent is reason enough for it not to be disrespectful to him. Of course, if you find it disrespectful to this version of Batman, then that is fair, but I don’t think anyone on dev team did this with malice toward the voice actor, I also doubt they knew he would pass away before the game released

Did WB ever say SSKTJL was his last time as Batman? Or was it just assumed?

I found it just disrespectful to the JL in general.
    For a given definition of likeable...

Ultimate Member

It's odd how Batman gets killed these days in different mediums.

1. He got killed in SS kill the JL
    2. He got killed in the Gotham Knights game
    3. He got killed in that ridiculous Gotham Knights tv series.

I guess this is going to be the new "evil Superman" trope.

They're not triumphing over privileged heroes. They're murdering them.

If the Suicide Squad came to the rescue and knocked the JLAers out and locked them in a closet or something, nobody would have any issues with it.

Oops. Double post.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 02-02-2024 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    They're not triumphing over privileged heroes. They're murdering them.

If the Suicide Squad came to the rescue and knocked the JLAers out and locked them in a closet or something, nobody would have any issues with it.
    They're saving the world from them. The brainwashed heroes come off like they're in the Boyz. I think its a poor take, and a bad decision thats overshadowing the game. SS aren't that likable nor in a state where general audiences want to root for them over the likes of Superman and Batman. Especially Arkham Batman. Flash maybe as this Flash seems strait out of the movieverse. Im enjoying the game, but the boss battles and overall story goal isn't satisfying because part of me doesn't want to win. Despite the justification it presents, the game is having me kill characters i like more with characters i like less.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 02-02-2024 at 04:18 PM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    It's odd how Batman gets killed these days in different mediums.

1. He got killed in SS kill the JL
    2. He got killed in the Gotham Knights game
    3. He got killed in that ridiculous Gotham Knights tv series.

I guess this is going to be the new "evil Superman" trope.
    Pretty sure an alternate Bruce got killed in CW's Crisis too.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Pretty sure an alternate Bruce got killed in CW's Crisis too.
    That one was also played by Kevin Conroy.

It's a common device to justify why the characters selected are the protagonists.

Look at the DCAMU movies...pretty much every one featured the Justice League getting their asses kicked or possessed or taken prisoner in order for the Titans or JL Dark or whoever to be the save the day instead. It's why Dark Crisis opened on the premise of "The Justice League is dead!" because how else could the other heroes be the protagonists? Batman needs to get shuffled aside in order for Nightwing or the rest of the Bat-family to save the day.

It's tedious and hackneyed.

The Suicide Squad game, however, takes it a step further by trying to appeal to the edge-lord crowd. It severely overestimates how much the average fan regards the heroes as lame, stuck-up, square nerds that deserve to get taken down a peg and humiliated.

There's irreverence...stuff like Teen Titans Go and the Harley Quinn cartoon...and then there's this game which feels like Warner/DC effectively asking its audience "Hey, don't you hate our characters as much as we do?"

I've said this in other forums, but it's a testament to just how badly this game disrespects the heroes that Wonder Woman's treatment is getting singled out as preferential.
    Yeah, they mangled her origin/backstory, severely nerfed her powers, she gets her ass kicked by Superman and dies a failure, but at least she wasn't unceremoniously shot in the head by Harley and no one pissed on her corpse. Yay?

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

As a sign the game is DEAD on Arrival , Resetera clocked the stream users for the game. An underwhelming 7,000* users played the game in early access.

Bloomberg is claiming this game needs to sell 10 million copies to break even.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/sui...access.811479/
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.