Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultas...h=24997856b76f

Good explanation of why Live Service games need to die…
    Good article and there's something in it that stood out, the writer suggested that a single player Superman game could have sold tens of millions and I agree. In the last year alone, we saw a number of single-player triple A games sell millions of copies, there's a clear disconnect between the execs at the top and audience want.

A good to great triple A single-player game with the JL (or at least one of the big 3 DC characters) could have sold millions. If a Miles Morales game can sell over 10 million copies (a timed PS exclusive game mind you), then I really don't see how a JL game (a good one that is) with some of the most popular characters in the world can't be super successful. Instead, we got a live-service Suicide Squad game with a harsh and borderline disrespectful storyline that apparently a lot of people have zero interest in.

Considering how much games cost these days, this SS kill the JL probably cost hundreds of millions of dollars to produce and is looking to be another live service bust. At this point, these companies need to analyze how much exactly they want to devote to this live service stuff. I know these companies have to please shareholders, but the live service model is basically going after an easy buck when a little more effort could bring in a lot more.

I realize I'm kinda late to the party, but yeah, this is just an insulting mess. I was never going to play this game. As soon as it was announced, I found the entire premise revolting. To be fair, its a personal preference thing. I don't like playing a bad guy/villain.

But this game seems to revel in it. Most gamers are upset at how Batman was killed. I was angry at how they treated The Flash after he was killed. Pissing on his corpse? Really?

Maybe its just me, but I feel like there is an open hostility to goodness and anything it represents in certain creative circles. I want no part of it.
    Life is but a dream

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Memo to stuffed suits everywhere: if a game studio knock three Batman games in a row out of the park, you let them do whatever the hell they want next. Let them make the Inception of video games.
    It is a good idea, here's the problem, the people who made those three games? They left and from what i heard are opening or have opened their own studio which means all that's left was a bunch of newbies who did not have anything to do with the previous 3 games...and that is another things because the game says from the team that made the Arkham games, which is a lie.

So just heard the game is, get this, already on sale and doing worse than Marvel's The Avengers game from SQE.

Also the studio is asking gaming journos to promote the fact that at the end of the game there is a tribute to Kevin Conroy, which just smells of desperation.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Good article and there's something in it that stood out, the writer suggested that a single player Superman game could have sold tens of millions and I agree. In the last year alone, we saw a number of single-player triple A games sell millions of copies, there's a clear disconnect between the execs at the top and audience want.

A good to great triple A single-player game with the JL (or at least one of the big 3 DC characters) could have sold millions. If a Miles Morales game can sell over 10 million copies (a timed PS exclusive game mind you), then I really don't see how a JL game (a good one that is) with some of the most popular characters in the world can't be super successful. Instead, we got a live-service Suicide Squad game with a harsh and borderline disrespectful storyline that apparently a lot of people have zero interest in.

Considering how much games cost these days, this SS kill the JL probably cost hundreds of millions of dollars to produce and is looking to be another live service bust. At this point, these companies need to analyze how much exactly they want to devote to this live service stuff. I know these companies have to please shareholders, but the live service model is basically going after an easy buck when a little more effort could bring in a lot more.
    To play devil's advocate I can kind of see why making a game centered around certain members of the JL (Superman, Flash, GL) would seem daunting considering their powersets (it's probably partially why Wonder Woman is the only one confirmed to get a solo game).

Even Avengers struggled trying to balance all the members of the team in my opinion.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I find it hilarious that apparently for Season Two the two characters that will theme the gear unlocks (like Bane currently and both Two-Face and Scarecrow in Season One) will be Captain Cold and Killer Frost to fit the cold villains theme alongside Ms Freeze. Two villains that probably would have made way more sense as additional playable characters over a gender swapped Freeze, but I guess Freeze is more popular and it gets them some female LBGT rep (apparently she is still married to Nora)?

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    So just heard the game is, get this, already on sale and doing worse than Marvel's The Avengers game from SQE.

Also the studio is asking gaming journos to promote the fact that at the end of the game there is a tribute to Kevin Conroy, which just smells of desperation.
    Well as one insider claims on reddit (its a claim...not gonna say its a fact) the support for the game will likely be pulled after 2025. Due to the bad sales and how its just ...there.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Wow, superhero games are mostly having a bad run, lately. I did hear that the GotG and Spider-Man games are supposed to be good though, so I might have to check them out some time. After Suicide Squad and Gotham Knights I wonder what is next from DC, and if it will actually be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    It is a good idea, here's the problem, the people who made those three games? They left and from what i heard are opening or have opened their own studio which means all that's left was a bunch of newbies who did not have anything to do with the previous 3 games...and that is another things because the game says from the team that made the Arkham games, which is a lie.
    I do wonder how true it is that the original Arkham devs didn’t have much to do with this game

Sefton Hill and Jamie Walker (studio heads) did leave, but it was only a few months before the game was supposed to originally release. A few months after that announcement, they announced the delay to 2024. I have heard that a lot of Arkham devs feature in the SSKTJL credits in prominent roles, but idk if anyone can confirm that?

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    Wow, superhero games are mostly having a bad run, lately. I did hear that the GotG and Spider-Man games are supposed to be good though, so I might have to check them out some time. After Suicide Squad and Gotham Knights I wonder what is next from DC, and if it will actually be fun.

It’s been a pretty good run overall I think, minus this, Gotham Knights and Avengers. 3 Insomniac Spider-Man games, GotG, Modnight Suns, MUA3. Granted, DC haven’t got a lot on there (ironic as they were doing better than Marvel a decade ago with Arkham and Injustice).

Coming up we have Wonder Woman, Wolverine, Blade, Iron Man, Black Panther, Captain America/Black Panther - AND the leaked Insomniac titles. And everything appears to be single player - so fingers crossed we have good times ahead.

I wish DC would tell us what else they have on the way though. I hope they aren’t just sticking with studios inside WB, as that will definitely limit what they can do

Guardians and Midnight Suns did not do well.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Yeah, which is sad. I really enjoyed Guardians and a friend loves Midnight Suns.

They both deserved more attention.

I think everything is feeling the comic exhaustion.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    I thought we were talking about quality as opposed to sales in this case - and to be fair, I think GotG’s sales failure was more to do with it being made by the same company as Avengers, which led to it being written off from the first trailer - they really needed marketing to pull it out of the bag and they just didn’t. Such a pity

Either way, I’d like to think that publishers are beginning to notice these games being received very well critically and by the public that have played them, as opposed to the GAAS games which perform badly critically and financially
    Last edited by Jack The Tripper; 02-06-2024 at 06:32 AM.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Allegations are coming out that Steam is possibly (possible...) removing negative reviews of the game.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.