Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Yet, I'd argue its very similar to the "Oh no, Catwoman's been kidnapped! Oh no! Oracle's been kidnapped! Oh no, Robin's been kidnapped! Oh no, Gordon's been kidnapped! Oh no, Nightwing's been kidnapped! Oh no, Jason's the badguy because he got kidnapped! Oh, also, Jack Ryder got kidnapped, too," plot-line of most of Arkham Knight's main story and side missions.

Rocksteady's in-house game "plotters" (not necessarily writers) are 100% more likely to just choose a lazy narrative shortcut in game construction without thinking about how it reflects on the characters.
    Is that what happened? It's been so long since I played them I mostly only remember the boss fights.

Now, with the Telltale Batman and sequel I remember the characters a lot more (of course there was no actual combat per say but quick time events).

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I saw that in the Superman in video games thread and I couldn't believe it. The fact that Batman, who's paranoid, and Green Lantern, who deals with alien criminals like Brainiac, agreed to that is horrendous writing. Injustice looking real good right now.

James Gunn isn't going to be monitoring the video games and other media for incompetence. Just give projects to people who know what they're doing.
    With Gunn running the show over what he plans ahead and how it’s going to work , he has to really get WB games and Rocksteady back on track after this failure. He originally claimed that they would be more in Arkhamverse ahead.

With this game basically bombing out of the gate he’s going to have to get this fixed.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Rocksteady Dev has come out to clarify Sweet Baby Inc’s role in SSKTJL

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultas...ry-theory/amp/

Hopefully it can be put to rest that they are the reason why the game’s story isn’t to everyone’s tastes

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    Rocksteady Dev has come out to clarify Sweet Baby Inc’s role in SSKTJL

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultas...ry-theory/amp/

Hopefully it can be put to rest that they are the reason why the game’s story isn’t to everyone’s tastes

I think the damage is likely done for them sadly. I never blamed them for this game (I put blame on Warner Bros and Rocksteady). I do think after this were gonna see game companies approach games more with an idea...."Will this work for our audience ? Is this fitting our game studio ?"

After high profile falures from Warner Bros and Square Enix I think were gonna see more of a ...ok , what can we not do to piss off our gaming audience. Its not just right wingers that tore down Suicide Squad and caused it to tank on arrival. The news sites (IGN) and others all seemed to take apart the repetitive missions , the always online aspect etc.

One ex-developer at Bioware who was there during Anthem mishap details how Bioware had people wanting to do something new. Instead of listening to what its core audience wanted. They wanted more games in old school Mass Effect , Dragon Age mold. Bioware felt they could do live service and failed because they strayed from what the people wanted.

This strayed from what people wanted. Now Rocksteady has to stumble awhile and look at where they failed. And they have to hope they can course correct and Warner Bros better realize...no one wants a live service Wonder Woman game either. If your gonna pour millions into another loss then go ahead. No one wants some live service sh-t.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    One ex-developer at Bioware who was there during Anthem mishap details how Bioware had people wanting to do something new. Instead of listening to what its core audience wanted. They wanted more games in old school Mass Effect , Dragon Age mold. Bioware felt they could do live service and failed because they strayed from what the people wanted.
    The audience for games like Destiny is fundamentally different than the one for Dragon Age or Mass Effect. I think that's more of a problem than trying something outside their established wheelhouse.

Horizon and Ghost of Tsushima would have failed if the issue were devs trying something new.

This strayed from what people wanted. Now Rocksteady has to stumble awhile and look at where they failed. And they have to hope they can course correct and Warner Bros better realize...no one wants a live service Wonder Woman game either. If your gonna pour millions into another loss then go ahead. No one wants some live service sh-t.
    With Zaslav still as the head, very unlikely for WW not to be live-service also :P
    (can we please get rid of the guy, somehow?..)

Quote Originally Posted by TheMaker1610 View Post
    With Zaslav still as the head, very unlikely for WW not to be live-service also :P
    (can we please get rid of the guy, somehow?..)
    I believe the devs for WW did confirm it’s single player, and implied it isn’t live service, after Zaslav’s comments about WB’s gaming division

Hopefully that remains true

After high profile falures from Warner Bros and Square Enix I think were gonna see more of a ...ok , what can we not do to piss off our gaming audience. Its not just right wingers that tore down Suicide Squad and caused it to tank on arrival. The news sites (IGN) and others all seemed to take apart the repetitive missions , the always online aspect etc.
    And yet those same sites praise games like Helldivers despite being nothing but that. Helldivers is also one of the most popular games right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    And yet those same sites praise games like Helldivers despite being nothing but that. Helldivers is also one of the most popular games right now.
    I think what helped Helldivers II is that Sony grew that into what we see today. It’s also likely a reason XBox will do releases on PlayStation as Helldivers was published on that system in 2015.

The game also has a single player mode and getting good critical reviews thus far.

Helldivers 2 has no single player mode. You can play online solo same as SS. I also don't think most playing Helldivers 2 even played Helldivers 1. I do think i has a lot to do with expectations and target audience, but a lot of what SS got hammered for in reviews Helldivers is getting a pass. Which is rather interesting.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 02-15-2024 at 06:02 PM.

Helldivers 2 has no single player mode. You can play online solo same as SS. I also don't think most playing Helldivers 2 even played Helldivers 1. I do think i has a lot to do with expectations and target audience, but a lot of what SS got hammered for in reviews Helldivers is getting a pass. Which is rather interesting.
    Helldivers 2 is a new IP that hasn't taken a dump on any popular characters though.

I don’t know much about helldivers at all, but it was considerably less expensive at launch which I’m sure is taken into account - but yes, I’m sure SS got bad reviews based on it being a known IP and part of a well received game universe - which I still think is fair, personally

Should have been Suicide Squad kills the Injustice League where Waller sends them in to infiltrate the IL to stop them from helping Brainiac defeat the JL.

I think this would've been better if it was a game about Brainiac taking over Batman and the rest of the League has to stop him. Could have been very 'Tower of Babel'. Also, the sequence where Boomerang is looking for Batman shows just how scary it would be if Batman was hunting you. Just my 2 cents.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

I didn't play the game, nor did I watch the full game movie on Youtube, but based on the footage I have seen online, while I don't think this game would have been wildly succesful no matter what (to me, it looks like a Fortnite clone with a Suicide Squad skin), it would have been nowhere near as hated as it is if they didn't make it canon to the Arkhamverse.

This is like making Deadpool kills the Marvel Universe canon to the 616 universe. It ruins a continuity and a character (Arkhamverse Batman) that people have attachment to for the sake of a gimmicky premise.