Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    James Siegfield
    Doesn't work for Rocksteady.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    We got 3 Batman games from them. I was hoping for Superman or Justice league to come next.
    It's not a given that all characters and all genres will be of interest to the same development studio. Not everything is suited to the same style and approach. A Superman game for instance could not be done like the Arkham games, and ideally shouldn't be done as an open world game either (an Uncharted/Last of Us style linear narrative driven game is what works best with him, or alternatively something like Dishonored).

Rocksteadys least liked game Arkham Knight is still an amazing game imo
    I love Arkham Knight. It's their best.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post

You do get that journalists occasionally have contacts within the studio right? That’s how they hear things that aren’t said in scripted PR interviews. No one from Bioware ever came out and said why Anthem was a mess, but they sure did when Jason Schrier interviewed them anonymously for his Anthem postmortem. Everything Siegfield has said has come true so far, he clearly knows some people at Rocksteady.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    You do get that journalists occasionally have contacts within the studio right? That’s how they hear things that aren’t said in scripted PR interviews. No one from Bioware ever came out and said why Anthem was a mess, but they sure did when Jason Schrier interviewed them anonymously for his Anthem postmortem. Everything Siegfield has said has come true so far, he clearly knows some people at Rocksteady.
    There's a difference between Jason Schreier, actual journalist of real capacity who is devoted to the struggles and sufferings of low-paid overworked employees, and some guy who spreads rumors about upcoming games. The former is of actual importance to real people, the latter isn't.

Suicide Squad being in development by Rocksteady doesn't mean that every other rumor is concerned.

I will be extremely surprised if Rocksteady did pitch a Superman game and that pitch was rejected. WB didn't say no to Bruce Timm when they offered to do Superman after the success of BTAS, and they wanted Nolan to do Superman after he did Batman but not having affinity for the character, he offered to serve as executive producer (so that WB can use his name in promotion). I don't see how Rocksteady don't get to do a Superman game if they wanted to.

If you look at the games and their design philosophy, Suicide Squad does make more sense to them than Superman. They've always had an interest in villains more than heroes, and they like settings that deal with connections and conflict between law and order, going back to their first game Urban Chaos Riot Response. Like Nolan, they don't seem to have affinity for Superman.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 08-09-2020 at 03:16 PM.

There's a difference between Jason Schreier, actual journalist of real capacity who is devoted to the struggles and sufferings of low-paid overworked employees, and some guy who spreads rumors about upcoming games. The former is of actual importance to real people, the latter isn't.

Suicide Squad being in development by Rocksteady doesn't mean that every other rumor is concerned.

I will be extremely surprised if Rocksteady did pitch a Superman game and that pitch was rejected. WB didn't say no to Bruce Timm when they offered to do Superman after the success of BTAS, and they wanted Nolan to do Superman after he did Batman but not having affinity for the character, he offered to serve as executive producer (so that WB can use his name in promotion). I don't see how Rocksteady don't get to do a Superman game if they wanted to.

If you look at the games and their design philosophy, Suicide Squad does make more sense to them than Superman. They've always had an interest in villains more than heroes, and they like settings that deal with connections and conflict between law and order, going back to their first game Urban Chaos Riot Response. Like Nolan, they don't seem to have affinity for Superman.
    I mean, WB has enough of a track record of mis-managing the Superman brand that I wouldn't rule out anything past them.

I don't think we really have enough of an inkling to say they don't have an affinity for Superman. They made enough references to him without needing to in their games to begin with.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Modern WB treats Superman like a redheaded step child. They don't seem interested in giving Superman any major projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Modern WB treats Superman like a redheaded step child. They don't seem interested in giving Superman any major projects.
    They approved a few animated films for this year and gave him his own show on the CW, at the very least.

It's not a given that all characters and all genres will be of interest to the same development studio. Not everything is suited to the same style and approach. A Superman game for instance could not be done like the Arkham games, and ideally shouldn't be done as an open world game either (an Uncharted/Last of Us style linear narrative driven game is what works best with him, or alternatively something like Dishonored).

I love Arkham Knight. It's their best.
    arkham knight wasn't nearly as universally loved as the first two. Arkham city is considered a master piece. And while i loved Arkham knight too , its still the least popular of the 3.

Pretty sure we're not gonna know what works best for a superman game untill we finally get one that's good. I can definetly see an open world game working. Also just because Rocksteady cracked the Code with Batman doesn't mean they wanna make a similar game next. **** Akrham knight kept the fighting mechanics and such but they made 50% of the game revolve around the botmobile. I'm sure if they worked on it they could crack Superman, werent they working on a superman game that got scrapped? Or was that some internet made up nonsense. They clearly had interest in superman they left a bunch of Easter eggs towards him. But in all Honesty a Wonder Woman game with a limited open world like God of war and i prefer the more complex GOW fight mechanic too the Arkham games. Which out great but very simple, kinda whats great about them anyone can pick it up. Aquaman could also be cool, it would lend itself to some breathtaking underwater visuals. Again Suicide squad aint in my top 5 choices but im not mad at it. And I'm 98% sure ill be pre-ordering it.

BANNED

arkham knight wasn't nearly as universally loved as the first two. Arkham city is considered a master piece. And while i loved Arkham knight too , its still the least popular of the 3.
    Arkham Knight sold very well and is still a high seller. The PC version once they fixed it started getting decent reviews on Steam. I think AK fell victim to a sense of anti-consumer revolt because the launch PC port had those bugs (and wasn't even done by Rocksteady).

Likewise, the Batmobile sections which I love, made Arkham Knight vulnerable to a certain subsection of sagames criticism, i.e. attacking games for feature creep and so on. It's not true or valid but it sounds true and valid so that gave license to a gaggle of hack critics and their prejudices.

Pretty sure we're not gonna know what works best for a superman game untill we finally get one that's good.
    That's called a tautology. The fact is that there have been many attempts at a Superman game. There have been attempts at an open world game (Shadow of Apokolips the Superman Returns game tie-in) and it's all been unsatisfying. The open world map doesn't feel big enough for someone with Superman's powers and abilities, you don't always have the freedom to fully play with Superman's powers because unleashing Superman's powers with the open world freedom of GTA would look like the fight at the end of Snyder's Man of Steel. They've put a health meter on the city so that Superman has to move fast to save bystanders and civilians but that gets tedious and removes the joy of the open world sandbox.

To do Superman in an open world sandbox where you have all of Superman's powers would mean stuff like you can use your X-Ray vision on every building, every street, every pavement, every road except for parts covered in lead. That's an impossible amount of detail to consider. To accommodate flight, you need scale on a level no open world video-game has done. For instance, most buildings and cities in open world games are compressed. Rockstar's GTA games if you compare them to real life cities they are parodies of aren't quite as big and wide in terms of space and architecture. The Assassin's Creed Unity game famously featured a recreation of Paris' Notre Dame cathedral that was 1:1, i.e. the game's render is the same size, height, and width as the cathedral. That became possible thanks to advances and the fact that the Cathedral is all things considered not a very big building by modern standards. To do a Superman game right, you need to do Empire State Building 1:1 in a game, at minimum and open world games aren't there yet. You need a building that tall, a sky that far away from the street to have some sense of what Superman flying in an open-world city feels like in scale.

Spider-Man PS4 recreated Manhattan but it was quite small and compressed and certainly not 1:1 and it works for Spidey, in the same way the full Gotham of Arkham Knight works for Batman because both characters have a powerset and skillset that can accommodate a smaller sense of scale than Superman.

**** Akrham knight kept the fighting mechanics and such but they made 50% of the game revolve around the botmobile.
    It's not 50%, not even close. It's just the new obvious thing so that's what everyone focuses on but it's still balanced properly.

I'm sure if they worked on it they could crack Superman, werent they working on a superman game that got scrapped? Or was that some internet made up nonsense.
    Seems like that for now.

They clearly had interest in superman they left a bunch of Easter eggs towards him.
    They left easter eggs for all characters across the DC Universe -- Green Arrow, Constantine, The Flash, and also for Suicide Squad (Cadmus Labs, Iron Heights penitentiary.

Pretty sure we're not gonna know what works best for a superman game untill we finally get one that's good. I can definetly see an open world game working. Also just because Rocksteady cracked the Code with Batman doesn't mean they wanna make a similar game next. **** Akrham knight kept the fighting mechanics and such but they made 50% of the game revolve around the botmobile. I'm sure if they worked on it they could crack Superman, werent they working on a superman game that got scrapped? Or was that some internet made up nonsense. They clearly had interest in superman they left a bunch of Easter eggs towards him. But in all Honesty a Wonder Woman game with a limited open world like God of war and i prefer the more complex GOW fight mechanic too the Arkham games. Which out great but very simple, kinda whats great about them anyone can pick it up. Aquaman could also be cool, it would lend itself to some breathtaking underwater visuals. Again Suicide squad aint in my top 5 choices but im not mad at it. And I'm 98% sure ill be pre-ordering it.
    I prefer Arkham Knight to City, as the bigger world and being able to seamlessly switch between gliding and driving is superb - but even then I think a lot of the tank battles are way too long. +1 for "Botmobile".

Arkham Knight sold very well and is still a high seller. The PC version once they fixed it started getting decent reviews on Steam. I think AK fell victim to a sense of anti-consumer revolt because the launch PC port had those bugs (and wasn't even done by Rocksteady).

Likewise, the Batmobile sections which I love, made Arkham Knight vulnerable to a certain subsection of sagames criticism, i.e. attacking games for feature creep and so on. It's not true or valid but it sounds true and valid so that gave license to a gaggle of hack critics and their prejudices.

That's called a tautology. The fact is that there have been many attempts at a Superman game. There have been attempts at an open world game (Shadow of Apokolips the Superman Returns game tie-in) and it's all been unsatisfying. The open world map doesn't feel big enough for someone with Superman's powers and abilities, you don't always have the freedom to fully play with Superman's powers because unleashing Superman's powers with the open world freedom of GTA would look like the fight at the end of Snyder's Man of Steel. They've put a health meter on the city so that Superman has to move fast to save bystanders and civilians but that gets tedious and removes the joy of the open world sandbox.

To do Superman in an open world sandbox where you have all of Superman's powers would mean stuff like you can use your X-Ray vision on every building, every street, every pavement, every road except for parts covered in lead. That's an impossible amount of detail to consider. To accommodate flight, you need scale on a level no open world video-game has done. For instance, most buildings and cities in open world games are compressed. Rockstar's GTA games if you compare them to real life cities they are parodies of aren't quite as big and wide in terms of space and architecture. The Assassin's Creed Unity game famously featured a recreation of Paris' Notre Dame cathedral that was 1:1, i.e. the game's render is the same size, height, and width as the cathedral. That became possible thanks to advances and the fact that the Cathedral is all things considered not a very big building by modern standards. To do a Superman game right, you need to do Empire State Building 1:1 in a game, at minimum and open world games aren't there yet. You need a building that tall, a sky that far away from the street to have some sense of what Superman flying in an open-world city feels like in scale.

Spider-Man PS4 recreated Manhattan but it was quite small and compressed and certainly not 1:1 and it works for Spidey, in the same way the full Gotham of Arkham Knight works for Batman because both characters have a powerset and skillset that can accommodate a smaller sense of scale than Superman.

It's not 50%, not even close. It's just the new obvious thing so that's what everyone focuses on but it's still balanced properly.

Seems like that for now.

They left easter eggs for all characters across the DC Universe -- Green Arrow, Constantine, The Flash, and also for Suicide Squad (Cadmus Labs, Iron Heights penitentiary.
    Lol

As someone who owns the PC version they didn't fix it. The most they did was fix the game breaking bugs and glitches. They didn't touch anything else. It's still a buggy, glitchy and unoptimize piece of ****. They did the same with Arkham City. The game's DX11 mode never got fixed.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Okay now I'm excited.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

This is probably the last panel of the day I'll be able to watch before sleep will likely overtake me. But so worth it. (Though there is a repeat at 9am my time, but the Superman animated movie is on at the same time...)

Will Arnett is kind of random, but okay .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Will Arnett is kind of random, but okay .
    Not unless he's voicing a member of the Squad.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Which members do you think are most likely? Clearly Harley and Deadshot seems inevitable and assuming that the Arkham connection is there I suppose Bronze Tiger and Deathstroke makes sense too...