Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Well Avengers servers are still up. There has to be a really low player count for them to shut down the servers, which at that point it doesn't really matter as people aren't really playing the game anyway. Its 2023. Everything is online. You guys are basically arguing for Blockbuster.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Well Avengers servers are still up. There has to be a really low player count for them to shut down the servers, which at that point it doesn't really matter as people aren't really playing the game anyway. Its 2023. Everything is online. You guys are basically arguing for Blockbuster.
    The campaign for Avengers will still be playable when the games servers shut off. It can still be preserved. That's not the case for games that are online only.

We're arguing for actually being able to own the things you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The campaign for Avengers will still be playable when the games servers shut off. It can still be preserved. That's not the case for games that are online only.
    Yes - that is the specific problem with this game being online.

Even if it’s a great game, in a decade or so it will likely have a small pool of players, and if servers shut down it won’t be playable again because you literally can’t play it without its servers.

I don’t mind if they never turn the servers on if the gameplay is actually just what was shown.

The game has been delayed again due to fan backlash
    https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/st...uq43-aLff7vIKw

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The game has been delayed again due to fan backlash
    https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/st...uq43-aLff7vIKw
    Wow, I didn't expect it to get this bad.

I can’t imagine what they could do in that time that would make it at all appealing. Horse armour?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That was my reaction when they first showed footage of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    I can’t imagine what they could do in that time that would make it at all appealing. Horse armour?
    Only as DLC

But seriously it's impossible to make wide sweeping changes in that time frame. I read it somewhere else but it was supposed to release in close proximity to some other high-profile games. This looks to me like an attempt at maybe polishing some things but to mainly to release in a less contested time frame because they have become worried of getting buried and overshadowed.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    To be fair apparently the delay was to polish the game. There's not much they could do with that time.

I've not really been a fan of the Rocksteady games just because I can't get over the art style I just find it really unappealing. This however looks like a dropped ball of previously unforeseen magnitude.

It looks like they had a corporate brief to make a leader shooter and just attach whatever IP they thought was going to be hot at the time to it. Nothing about this screams suicide Squad. It's just a generic anthem-like shooter attached to the suicide Squad IP.

I hope it bombs so studios can pull their heads out of their respective behinds and consider that there's only enough oxygen for so many games as a service.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Has any GAS outside Fortnite and Destiny truly had legs? Even Overwatch (which this game evidently takes some inspiration from) and Fall Guys have waned lately. It’s simply not a practical game type for release unless you are prepared to constantly have new content, and SS gives every indication that it will follow the same format of Avengers as half heartedly releasing a character every three to six months and a dash of gameplay, likely with increasing lack of polish as the money they expect from cosmetics doesn’t materialise like they hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Has any GAS outside Fortnite and Destiny truly had legs? Even Overwatch (which this game evidently takes some inspiration from) and Fall Guys have waned lately. It’s simply not a practical game type for release unless you are prepared to constantly have new content, and SS gives every indication that it will follow the same format of Avengers as half heartedly releasing a character every three to six months and a dash of gameplay, likely with increasing lack of polish as the money they expect from cosmetics doesn’t materialise like they hope.
    Valorant, League of Legends, Dota 2, and Hearthstone off the top of my head. What's crazy about Overwatch is that the new monetization is so bad it has fans wanting loot boxes back.

Publishers are finding out the hard way that people don't have infinite time and money for a business model that requires people to treat their games like a second job.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Has any GAS outside Fortnite and Destiny truly had legs?
    Seriously? Apex, Genshin Impact, Warzone, FF XIV, Warframe, Path Of Exile, ect...

GAS are some of the most successful games in the world. This is one of the problems with todays giant development widows though, these games are taking so long to make that by the time the release sentiment and trends change from conception to release.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Seriously? Apex, Genshin Impact, Warzone, FF XIV, Warframe, Path Of Exile, ect...

GAS are some of the most successful games in the world. This is one of the problems with todays giant development widows though, these games are taking so long to make that by the time the release sentiment and trends change from conception to release.
    I don’t recall the last time most of those have been talked about regularly the way Fortnite and Destiny are, but fair point. I think a lot of people just hate the way studio now chase such trends at the expense of every other kind of game, knowing full well none of them are going to maintain the cultural epoch and niche that Fortnite has, or the fact that we have developers seriously advocating play to earn over fun.

Plus rushing these kinds of games out guarantees the double burnout effects for developers and play-testers (crunch for months up to release and more crunch to fix all the bugs they could have avoided by not rushing whilst also needing constant new updates to maintain attention).