Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Results 91 to 104 of 104
  1. #91
    Extraordinary Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    5,867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    You're thinking like a comic book fan, and not a general audience gamer.
    General Audience Gamer would largely be playing mobile games. That's the biggest casual market for games by far.

    AAA games have a much smaller portion of "General Audience" than that, and even then games by Nin-ten-do -- Animal Crossing for instance, or stuff like Halo or Call of Duty, will always be a bigger deal than the Batman games.

    Heck Spider-Man PS4 is the bestselling superhero title and that was released on just one platform.

    Ask yourself this: You're tangentially aware of superheroes and comics, but you don't read them. You see the movies. But you love video games. And along comes this game, with some characters you've heard of because movies, called Suicide Squad. It's from a studio you know makes kick ass superhero games, like Arkham. But no Batman in this one. And they make clear you get to fight some villains who you've maybe heard of, because movies. Are you hyped? With no gameplay revealed? Really?
    That doesn't, work when games with new IP like Horizon Zero Dawn tear up the landscape. Games without hype and so on can do pretty well and pre-established licenses aren't always guaranteed for success as you make out to be.

    Now instead, you hear about a similar game. But now you get to fight Superman.
    What gamers really want is to be Superman, and definitely not to fight him.

  2. #92
    The Future is Now WebSlingWonder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    2,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    That's a fair hit.

    Yeah, dropping the trailer for this game at DC Fandome kind of feels a little desperate. WB Games, the department which owned Rocksteady was on the chopping block for a few months with AT and T considering to sell it off. They did an about face but it seems that DC Editorial got the axe instead. So I think dropping the trailer was a way to tell "we are still here" to investors and others and get excitement about their most respected studio.

    It also serves Rocksteady because they got to distract people from some sexual harassment claims made by the former writer of this game and complaints about toxic workspace.
    Yeah, Rocksteady has some problems to deal with before they can focus on this game. Namely, like you mentioned, the sexual harassment claims (which I thought they shared an open letter about), and this...game.
    Catching thieves just like flies for 58 years!!

  3. #93
    The Future is Now WebSlingWonder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    2,054

    Default

    And yeah, Jack is right: I'd rather play a RS Superman game, than to fight yet another evil Superman. Especially for an overexposed and mediocre team.
    Catching thieves just like flies for 58 years!!

  4. #94
    Extraordinary Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    5,867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    And yeah, Jack is right: I'd rather play a RS Superman game, than to fight yet another evil Superman. Especially for an overexposed and mediocre team.
    I mean people have wrong ideas in thinking that the gaming audience is the same as grimdark comics' nerd-dom. The gaming audience includes stuff like Minecraft, Animal Crossing New Horizons, Super Mario Odyssey, Horizon Zero Dawn. Games with bright colors, fun gameplay, strong stories, and fantasy would do pretty well.

    I mean Spider-Man PS4 outsold the Arkham games despite being a console exclusive. And 50% of those who bought that game didn't complete the story, they just loved webswinging a bright colorful New York City. Because the game offers a ludic fantasy of playfulness. If they do a Superman game where you can be Superman and use all his powers, it will sell better than the hot cakes that Luthor once stole.

  5. #95
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Bronx, New York
    Posts
    8,800

    Default

    WWE wrestler Samoa Joe is voicing King Shark
    https://comicbook.com/wwe/news/wwe-s...g-shark-voice/

  6. #96
    The Future is Now WebSlingWonder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    2,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I mean people have wrong ideas in thinking that the gaming audience is the same as grimdark comics' nerd-dom. The gaming audience includes stuff like Minecraft, Animal Crossing New Horizons, Super Mario Odyssey, Horizon Zero Dawn. Games with bright colors, fun gameplay, strong stories, and fantasy would do pretty well.

    I mean Spider-Man PS4 outsold the Arkham games despite being a console exclusive. And 50% of those who bought that game didn't complete the story, they just loved webswinging a bright colorful New York City. Because the game offers a ludic fantasy of playfulness. If they do a Superman game where you can be Superman and use all his powers, it will sell better than the hot cakes that Luthor once stole.
    The problem is WB. They have this weird, unnecessary aversion to actually showing their Super-Heroes as superheroes, which is unlike Spider-Man where he is the primary superhero through and through. WB/DC isn't comfortable showing that for some reason.
    Catching thieves just like flies for 58 years!!

  7. #97
    The Future is Now WebSlingWonder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    2,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    WWE wrestler Samoa Joe is voicing King Shark
    https://comicbook.com/wwe/news/wwe-s...g-shark-voice/
    I could've sworn it was Fred Tatasciore...
    Catching thieves just like flies for 58 years!!

  8. #98
    Extraordinary Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    5,867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    The problem is WB. They have this weird, unnecessary aversion to actually showing their Super-Heroes as superheroes, which is unlike Spider-Man where he is the primary superhero through and through. WB/DC isn't comfortable showing that for some reason.
    I mean I wouldn't mind if Marvel gave us say, an open-world Doctor Doom game. That would be a great game as a concept and I would love to play that.

  9. #99
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    55,693

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    The problem is WB. They have this weird, unnecessary aversion to actually showing their Super-Heroes as superheroes, which is unlike Spider-Man where he is the primary superhero through and through. WB/DC isn't comfortable showing that for some reason.
    I mean, WB releases plenty of material showing their heroes as heroes. It's just sometimes the non-hero depictions get a lot of discussion going.
    Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    I could've sworn it was Fred Tatasciore...
    Either him or David Sobolov.

    Deadshot sounds like Bumper Robinson.

  10. #100
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,514

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    The problem is WB. They have this weird, unnecessary aversion to actually showing their Super-Heroes as superheroes, which is unlike Spider-Man where he is the primary superhero through and through. WB/DC isn't comfortable showing that for some reason.
    There's no model for a decent Superman game. Not even the old school 2600 version.

    So I'm sure the thought is in some quarters that it can't be done. It's a bad sign when a character doesn't even have a decent NES game in its history and that was a try anything era.

    I'm not saying a decent Superman game can't be made. I'm saying there's never been one and Devs are acutely aware of it.

  11. #101
    Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Nottingham, England
    Posts
    5,057

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    There's no model for a decent Superman game. Not even the old school 2600 version.

    So I'm sure the thought is in some quarters that it can't be done. It's a bad sign when a character doesn't even have a decent NES game in its history and that was a try anything era.

    I'm not saying a decent Superman game can't be made. I'm saying there's never been one and Devs are acutely aware of it.
    Which is probably why people look to Rocksteady to doing it - they effectively created the perfect template for a Batman game with Arkham Asylum, so if the same teams approached Superman we’d have faith that they could do the same with him (as they might have if WB had not decided otherwise, for better or worse).

    It’s hard to know if they’re as interested in the SS as they are Batman (since they inherited it from WB Montreal as far as we can tell) but I can be fairly sure they will do a good job with them. If it allows us to see a open world version of Metropolis for the first time, even better.

  12. #102
    Incredible Member the nomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    686

    Default

    I knew Rocksteady would cop out somehow.

    THey can definitely do a Superman game but they're not interested in doing a full game with him bc of their obsession and success with Batman and so what do they do they try to play both sides. A suicide Squad game. A group composed mostly of Batman villians and they go after SUperman who will probably briefly be seen.

    We're never gonna get the SUperman game we deserve.

  13. #103
    Extraordinary Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    5,867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the nomad View Post
    We're never gonna get the SUperman game we deserve.
    I wouldn't say never. Just not from Rocksteady.

    Look, if Rocksteady have no passion for Superman, that's fair. That's cool. I think we all agree that a Superman game shouldn't be made with someone with no passion for the story.

    The issue is that they promote their new game and its premise on a negative projection of that character and market it that way, in a manner that definitely diminishes Superman for the purpose of prepping up Suicide Squad.

    It's fair to knock Rocksteady for the latter but not the former in my view.

    If it's a case that Warner Bros rejected their Superman game and they repurposed it into a Suicide Squad game, then obviously they can't be honest about that while promoting the game they made as a compromise, hypothetically.

  14. #104
    Incredible Member the nomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    686

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I wouldn't say never. Just not from Rocksteady.

    Look, if Rocksteady have no passion for Superman, that's fair. That's cool. I think we all agree that a Superman game shouldn't be made with someone with no passion for the story.

    The issue is that they promote their new game and its premise on a negative projection of that character and market it that way, in a manner that definitely diminishes Superman for the purpose of prepping up Suicide Squad.

    It's fair to knock Rocksteady for the latter but not the former in my view.

    If it's a case that Warner Bros rejected their Superman game and they repurposed it into a Suicide Squad game, then obviously they can't be honest about that while promoting the game they made as a compromise, hypothetically.

    You know. You've got a fair point. A Superman game should be made by a studio that has a passion for his character and his world. It's just frustrating that there hasn't been a game made for him since 2006 and when ppl think of Superman in games they either think about the atrocious N64 game or Injustice which showcased evil Supes.

    And now we get maybe a glimpse in Suicide Squad and it's evil supes again. I'm just tired of writers grabbing for the low hanging fruit when it comes to Supes, which is why I said we'll never get the game we deserve or want, like Batman fans.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •