Spectacular Member SavageJudgeDredd's Avatar

Question Some good shorter stories from 90s-2000s?

Was looking for some Superman recommendations. Some well done shorter stories, one shots or up to 6 issue arcs or so. And preferably not elseworlds stuff, more a look at well done examples of a canon Superman adventure.

Was looking to fill in a bit of the era between say Death of Superman and the new 52. But I'm open to other recommendations as well. Preferably stuff that isn't too reliant on a larger continuity to make sense, but as a comic fan I can go with the flow. I looked at a lot of the top Superman stories lists, I'm all set on Moore and Morrison already etc. Just seemed there were some gaps, that there must be some more gems from that time frame. Thanks.

Incredible Member

the red glass trilogy

the brainiac trilogy

the supergirl saga - the intro of the matrix supergirl and the end of the pocket universe

the historic action comics 600 with the byrne/perez pairing.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D2JovQvUgAAiBr5.jpg

time and time again
    https://media.karousell.com/media/ph...00_progressive
    Last edited by marshal88; 08-26-2020 at 07:03 AM.

Cool, thanks! Do you like Panic in the Sky as well? I had that one on my list, takes place after the Brianiac trilogy I see.

For later comics (early 2000s), I'm thinking I'll read some Joe Kelly and Jeff Loeb stuff. Was just looking up that era tonight.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

There were a few Jose Luis Garcia Lopez-drawn stories in the mid 90s that are great for the art alone. If memory serves, they were written by Dan Jurgens.

He actually manages to make the mullet look cool.

And Joe Casey's pre-Infinite Crisis run was great because he set himself the challenge of writing Superman as a pacifist who never resolved the story's problem by resorting to violence, yet still managed to craft some fun exciting superhero comics.

Incredible Member

panic in the sky is okay , this was prior to jurgens jla run. this event was the excuse used to have superman joined the jla because there are some enemies that superman cannot handle alone. you could try the dominus effect or the follow up - king of the world storyline.

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Dominus_Effect

Extraordinary Member

Panic in the Sky is on the longer end and would probably be considered more of a big event story than a shorter story. Counting the prologue and the epilogue I believe it's 8 issues. It's a good fun story, but it doesn't fit in with your 'shorter stories' search. I really like Dominus effect and King of the world, but those were gigantic storylines. King of the world took up the entire first half of 1999 even with a new comic coming out literally every week.

Individual issues which stand out to me include these.

Superman 59. "Superman's Fiancee, Lois Lane!" A secret cabal gathers to discuss items that pertain to the death of an innocent man. Plus, this issue explores what it's like to be the fiancee of the most powerful and busiest super hero on Earth. Includes a 5-page excerpt from the Daily Planet by Lois Lane.

Superman 120. "To be a Superman!" Ever wonder what you'd do if you had the powers of Superman? Sure you have. Well in this issue, find out what the Last Son of krypton's closest friends and enemies would do if the possessed the power of Superman.

Superman 131. "Luthor and the Contessa have become proud parents! And when Lex promises his bouncing baby that "someday, all this will be yours," he's referring to Metropolis! What sinister plan does Lex have in mind to guarantee that the newest Luthor will be his successor?"

Superman 145. "Public Hearing!" We've seen the Man of Steel read and often answer letters before (see Superman (1987- ) #64 and 109) but how does he handle hate mail? Find out in this decidedly different adventure of Superman.

Most of these go to the heart of who Superman is, while the Luthor story gets to the heart of who he is. Issue 59 is partially a follow-up to the Time and Time again event, but it isn't necessary to read that beforehand and it's a good stand-alone story. 145 is a follow-up to King of the World, but it also stands on its own without having to read the big prior story.
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 08-27-2020 at 04:01 AM.

Incredible Member

there's the 3 part 'soul search' where superman fought the demoness blaze who was a huge thorn in superman side at the time.
    https://comicvine.gamespot.com/soul-search/4045-59243/

followed by the 2 part story 'night of the bat' of superman fighting an ancient vampire.

world's collide was the first superman/milestone crossover

the fall of metropolis

superman dead again which was after the death of superman

Thanks, all! Even the longer stuff I'll add to the list for later. Always good to know about these cool parts of the run.

Incredible Member

shame the dominus storylines were never collected. dominus is a cosmic entity and should be far and beyond superman ability.

there's also an interesting 4 parter ' the one man jla'.

there's the infamous first app of the elite - action comics 775, that issue has a cartoon over it, arguably joe kelly most famous issue 'What's So Funny About Truth, Justice, & the American Way?"

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I think the only collected things that come to mind not mentioned are Return to Krypton and Trial of Superman.

Anything by Schultz is probably a hidden gem by default. He's done some shorter story arcs like Gangs of Metropolis and Pantheon.

Jurgens went out on a good note with issues #146 and #148, and #150 including a two parter in the Superman second volume.

Ron Marz did both the one man League and the Kandor Monorail story. The original Kandor story post Crisis, Bottle City, is one of my favorites.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

You can always look up Superman Adventures. Comic series which was based on the animated show.

Mark Millar's run is considered an essential Superman run. You can look for '22 stories in a single bound' (#41), How much can a man hate (#27), if you want a taste of the series. They are pretty self contained.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 08-28-2020 at 06:26 AM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

There's that, too. The Adventures DCAU line was almost always good and self contained.

It was mentioned above already but I think Joe Casey hadn't been rivaled until Morrison actually came in with the new 52, so for main line comics it's my best bet
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES