Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast

But what if during the course of the game the objective of the suicide squad is no longer to kill the justice league (clones) but rather to find and free the real justice league members, including Superman so they can clear their names and defeat brainiac and his clones with the suicide squad?

I can only speak for myself, but I see a similar problem to why fans of MJ Watson hate seeing her getting kidnapped and having to be rescued. What does Superman add to the story that makes him a more interesting character? It's not like how Darkseid captured Superman in Justice League Heroes and the rest of the team freed Superman, and you get to play as Superman in the game. Brainwashed or in captivity, either way I don't feel excited to see Superman in the game.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dralokonda View Post
    But what if during the course of the game the objective of the suicide squad is no longer to kill the justice league (clones) but rather to find and free the real justice league members, including Superman so they can clear their names and defeat brainiac and his clones with the suicide squad?
    Then everyone would call it a cop-out. They established the goal of murdering heroes. It's a lose-lose. We're just doing Brainiac's work for him because we're stupid.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Just watched bits of the trailer. I feel like every time some guy gets his hands on a Superman, he thinks it'd be highly shocking to show Superman as something less than good and/or Super, as if some of us longer-time fans have never seen something like that before. At some point, the surprising thing is going to be a straight-up representation of Superman as a hero you'd want to be.
    I don't think it's aimed for superman fans in the first place. Granted, There might be those who pour money into it. (please guys! Stop destroying your own cause)

I remember when Arkham Knight was coming out, and there were all these wild theories about who the AK was. It was so obvious that it was Jason Todd that people convinced themselves it had to be a fakeout, there had to be a twist. Some people hypothesized that he was a clone of Bruce, and he would end up dying to fulfill Azarel’s prophecy. But nah it was just Jason Todd and Batman “dying” was a metaphorical death. With Rocksteady expect it to be a straightforward Superman is mindcontrolled by Brainiac.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I remember when Arkham Knight was coming out, and there were all these wild theories about who the AK was. It was so obvious that it was Jason Todd that people convinced themselves it had to be a fakeout, there had to be a twist. Some people hypothesized that he was a clone of Bruce, and he would end up dying to fulfill Azarel’s prophecy. But nah it was just Jason Todd and Batman “dying” was a metaphorical death. With Rocksteady expect it to be a straightforward Superman is mindcontrolled by Brainiac.
    Man, I remember those days. I was among those who felt it couldn't be Jason because that's just so uninspired. I'm convinced it should have been an android with the Batmobile's consciousness inside it, jealous that Bruce devotes more time to the city than to it. Because that's the only way the game could have been any more about that goddamn car.

Let's face it, i haven't seen the fervor at which people trashed man of steel or bvs against this portrayal. There should have been wildfire debates, unyielding in nature from both sides. But, nope! Nobody cares about another evil Superman story one way or another. Worse, there are people who is going to buy this. So, yah! Expect more of this treatment.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Let's face it, i haven't seen the fervor at which people trashed man of steel or bvs against this portrayal. There should have been wildfire debates, unyielding in nature from both sides. But, nope! Nobody cares about another evil Superman story one way or another. Worse, there are people who is going to buy this. So, yah! Expect more of this treatment.
    Superman's not doing this willingly and the game isn't out yet. There is no sides to this, Superman is evil in this depiction because he's under mind control.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Superman's not doing this willingly and the game isn't out yet. There is no sides to this, Superman is evil in this depiction because he's under mind control.
    Who the cares? If people really did cared about superman there should have been outrage like the time they made cap hydra agent. But, nope!nobody cares, as i said before. They dropped an entire promo where superman encinerates a guy and is the bad guy for the purpose of getting beat up. This would be more than apt time for any kind of debate.Picking on a some small sizable fanbase for their tastes in a mob mentality kind of way is easier huh? And Actually, fighting a giant corporation regarding the portrayal of the character that started it all during depression era is hard? So much for not liking bullies and fighting for the weak.
    I am personally stuck with a Superman that is a stooge, caricature messiah, the evil dictator, a personality less naive boyscout farmboy ... Etc. This is all i have to pick from.i choose none.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 08-24-2020 at 11:57 PM.

Astonishing Member

Who the cares? If people really did cared about superman there should have been outrage like the time they made cap hydra agent. But, nope!nobody cares, as i said before. They dropped an entire promo where superman encinerates a guy and is the bad guy for the purpose of getting beat up. This would be more than apt time for any kind of debate.Picking on a some small sizable fanbase for their tastes in a mob mentality kind of way is easier huh? And Actually, fighting a giant corporation regarding the portrayal of the character that started it all during depression era is hard? So much for not liking bullies and fighting for the weak.
    I am personally stuck with a Superman that is a stooge, caricature messiah, the evil dictator, a personality less naive boyscout farmboy ... Etc. This is all i have to pick from.i choose none.
    Context changes things. There was immense controversy when Marvel made Cap HYDRA, and it remains. Many, many people cared about that. Like I said, the context doesn't carte much debate, there's nothing grey in that trailer. Even the Suicide Squad knew that. Yeah, and they got the right reaction: everyone knew it was a bad thing Superman did and that he's not in his right mind so the Squad need to stop Brainiac ASAP. Nothing complex there. The Snyder fanbase? They're not small and they're very capable of dishing it out. But they won? That's why Snyder's releasing his movie on HBO. But Superman does fight for the week, he fails people are going to die or be enslaved on a massive scale. That's why him being Brainiac's is so bad, he failed. Which he does sometimes. Except we know you like Golden Sage Superman and Snyder's. This Superman isn't one of them since he's a brainwashed proxy for Brainiac.

Context changes things. There was immense controversy when Marvel made Cap HYDRA, and it remains. Many, many people cared about that. Like I said, the context doesn't carte much debate, there's nothing grey in that trailer. Even the Suicide Squad knew that. Yeah, and they got the right reaction: everyone knew it was a bad thing Superman did and that he's not in his right mind so the Squad need to stop Brainiac ASAP. Nothing complex there. The Snyder fanbase? They're not small and they're very capable of dishing it out. But they won? That's why Snyder's releasing his movie on HBO. But Superman does fight for the week, he fails people are going to die or be enslaved on a massive scale. That's why him being Brainiac's is so bad, he failed. Which he does sometimes. Except we know you like Golden Sage Superman and Snyder's. This Superman isn't one of them since he's a brainwashed proxy for Brainiac.
    There is no context difference.There should have been outrage that Superman was made a stooge. There should be outrage that suoerman is an evil mind controlled zombie for people to beat up. How many snyder superman fans are here? I call 3 or max 8. There is a reddit with snyder fanbase even if we take all of them. They aren't as sizable as superman fanbase. The only reason they "won" is because the cast, the charity things, relentless pressure and the way orginised things. Not because of the size. Mate! Don't assume things about me.Sure enough i am a fan of siegel and shuster's superman.yeah!as if making a zombie superman is way better than Snyder's superman. Stop making excuses for yourself.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Man, I remember those days. I was among those who felt it couldn't be Jason because that's just so uninspired. I'm convinced it should have been an android with the Batmobile's consciousness inside it, jealous that Bruce devotes more time to the city than to it. Because that's the only way the game could have been any more about that goddamn car.
    I wasn't sure if it's Jason or not but when Arkham Knight's first line before he even reveals himself is "time to die, old man" I immediately went "yep. That's Jason" lol

But what if during the course of the game the objective of the suicide squad is no longer to kill the justice league (clones) but rather to find and free the real justice league members, including Superman so they can clear their names and defeat Brainiac and his clones with the suicide squad?
    I foresee them preparing an out. Just like when the first Injustice game came out and the first thing they did after establishing Superman Kills Now is to assure players that this is an Alternate Earth

I don't think they're clones, I think they're the real Leaguers, but I think what's gonna happen is the Squad couldn't beat the League after each boss fights and decided that they have to destroy the mind control. None of the Squad that is shown in the trailer are equipped to take down a Leaguer, even when they make Boomer a speedster. There's no Killer Frost to absorb Superman's heat or Enchantress to penetrate his defenses. At least they need to find a Kryptonite, but that's just Superman. There's still Aquaman and Wonder Woman.

They're set up to fail, and have to find another way.

Astonishing Member

There is no context difference.There should have been outrage that Superman was made a stooge. There should be outrage that suoerman is an evil mind controlled zombie for people to beat up. How many snyder superman fans are here? I call 3 or max 8. There is a reddit with snyder fanbase even if we take all of them. They aren't as sizable as superman fanbase. The only reason they "won" is because the cast, the charity things, relentless pressure and the way orginised things. Not because of the size. Mate! Don't assume things about me.Sure enough i am a fan of siegel and shuster's superman.yeah!as if making a zombie superman is way better than Snyder's superman. Stop making excuses for yourself.
    Sure there is. What Snyder's doing is nothing like this since brainwashing takes the agency away from this Superman. He's not doing this because he likes it, he's doing something because someone is ordering him and he can't stop himself doing it. This is why mind control is so feared and creepy, it makes people into meat puppets. It's also an idea that has been a genre trope in fiction longer then most people in this forum have been alive. It's a tradition in super-hero comics. Injustice Superman, he everyone hates and you're supposed to. He's a dictator in a Superman costume, and he chooses every decision he makes - like murdering Captain Marvel. Nobody brainwashed him to do that. Those are just the fans you know about, and you're not counting social media or people who don't post much online about it. But they did win, of course it wouldn't be easy. Things like that aren't given just by asking nicely, there must be demand which convinces WB to do something. Why's won in quotes? Snyder's working on releasing his movie as we speak and it's going to be on HBO Max. I'm not assuming anything, we've been talking to each other about Superman for a while now. We've both established our opinions to each other on Superman. No excuses here, just facts.

Sure there is. What Snyder's doing is nothing like this since brainwashing takes the agency away from this Superman. He's not doing this because he likes it, he's doing something because someone is ordering him and he can't stop himself doing it. This is why mind control is so feared and creepy, it makes people into meat puppets. It's also an idea that has been a genre trope in fiction longer then most people in this forum have been alive. It's a tradition in super-hero comics. Injustice Superman, he everyone hates and you're supposed to. He's a dictator in a Superman costume, and he chooses every decision he makes - like murdering Captain Marvel. Nobody brainwashed him to do that. Those are just the fans you know about, and you're not counting social media or people who don't post much online about it. But they did win, of course it wouldn't be easy. Things like that aren't given just by asking nicely, there must be demand which convinces WB to do something. Why's won in quotes? Snyder's working on releasing his movie as we speak and it's going to be on HBO Max. I'm not assuming anything, we've been talking to each other about Superman for a while now. We've both established our opinions to each other on Superman. No excuses here, just facts.
    So, what? Superman can't have accidents that cause distruction, fight an uphill battles? He can be stooge, he can be mind controlled zombie, evil dictator.. Etc. Are you listening to yourself? I wasn't talking from a character point of view. In case, that is'nt obvious. I was talking from story point of view. Everyone might hate injustice superman but he sells and he isn't dragged through the mud. There should have been debates on the viability of the character itself . There isn't any ott debate for injustice to not be made. Snyder's movies on the other hand had that discourse . Please, most people are just curious that What Snyder's movie is because Whedon’s nonsense was trash.Nothing more and nothing less.Moreover, the virus is the only reason these guys got what they want. But, i do commend them for their relentless pursuit. That's not something i can say about the fandom as whole. You guys had no problems saying superman shouldn't be written in a way that he doesn't have an out, in regards to killing zod. Yet, you condone superman being put in a position where he doesn't have agency, where he is written as a stooge, where he is an evil dictator ... Etc. The fervor was so much they did listen, the movies were mired with toxicity in social media and it impacted the sales of the movie. Ofcourse, Snyder's own limitations as storyteller contributed largely.But,"the conversation " contributed just as much. If you guys can do that. You should be able to put an end to evil Superman, dictator superman, stooge superman... Etc. If not, it's just bullying. Picking on the weak and being too scared to take on someone your own size or bigger. It's just that because shere dumb luck or existence of a higher being or karma snyder fans got what they want. You guys on the other hand are left with no superman at all.

Moore might be right about the industry, I wouldn't know. I am not an insider.

"The superheroes themselves – largely written and drawn by creators who have never stood up for their own rights against the companies that employ them, much less the rights of a Jack Kirby or Jerry Siegel or Joe Shuster – would seem to be largely employed as cowardice compensators, perhaps a bit like the handgun on the nightstand.”

But, i do believe comics fans especially superman fans should be better than that.Both reddit, twitter, Facebook, YouTube .. Etc nothing absolutely zilch on the treatment of superman.Now, that's the real shame.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 08-25-2020 at 07:41 AM.

Astonishing Member

So, what? Superman can't have accidents that cause distruction, fight an uphill battles? He can be stooge, he can be mind controlled zombie, evil dictator.. Etc. Are you listening to yourself? I wasn't talking from a character point of view. In case, that is'nt obvious. I was talking from story point of view. Everyone might hate injustice superman but he sells and he isn't dragged through the mud. There should have been debates on the viability of the character itself . There isn't any ott debate for injustice to not be made. Snyder's movies on the other hand had that discourse . Please, most people are just curious that What Snyder's movie is because Whedon’s nonsense was trash.Nothing more and nothing less.Moreover, the virus is the only reason these guys got what they want. But, i do commend them for their relentless pursuit. That's not something i can say about the fandom as whole. You guys had no problems saying superman shouldn't be written in a way that he doesn't have an out, in regards to killing zod. Yet, you condone superman being put in a position where he doesn't have agency, where he is written as a stooge, where he is an evil dictator ... Etc. The fervor was so much they did listen, the movies were mired with toxicity in social media and it impacted the sales of the movie. Ofcourse, Snyder's own limitations as storyteller contributed largely.But,"the conversation " contributed just as much. If you guys can do that. You should be able to put an end to evil Superman, dictator superman, stooge superman... Etc. If not, it's just bullying. Picking on the weak and being too scared to take on someone your own size or bigger. It's just that because shere dumb luck or existence of a higher being or karma snyder fans got what they want. You guys on the other hand are left with no superman at all.

Moore might be right about the industry, I wouldn't know. I am not an insider.

"The superheroes themselves – largely written and drawn by creators who have never stood up for their own rights against the companies that employ them, much less the rights of a Jack Kirby or Jerry Siegel or Joe Shuster – would seem to be largely employed as cowardice compensators, perhaps a bit like the handgun on the nightstand.”

But, i do believe comics fans especially superman fans should be better than that.Both reddit, twitter, Facebook, YouTube .. Etc nothing absolutely zilch on the treatment of superman.Now, that's the real shame.
    The first sentence is really confusing, I'm not sure what you're getting at there. Sure Superman can have accidents and fight uphill battles, what does that have to do with anything I said? How is any of that from a character point of view? In story the Suicide Squad are scared because Superman who appeared has been brainwashed into a murderous super-villain, they'd react like anyone else in that situation. Fear and terror. Nobody cares that much about Superman being brainwashed into doing evil things because that's a cliche in comics. Every super-hero does that, it's an expected genre convention and they know it's not really Superman doing it. It's Brainiac using his body like a meat puppet. Whatever the real Superman thinks in that time frame is irrelevant since he's not in control of his body at that point.

They know Injustice Superman is an alternate Superman in that video-game's universe and he's presented as being evil. There is no debate. The game makes it very clear he's the bad guy. H even gets into fights with regular Superman.

Something like that won't be happening in the DCEU, maybe they might recast and fully reboot Superman and pretend everything in the Snyder movies happened in another way, like Whedon did with how he wrote Superman. But we do know Snyder didn't make Cavill Superman to be evil, he's supposed to be someone we're supposed to like and cheer for. He failed miserably, that's why that portal is controversial.

The debates aren't necessary when those very debates are happening in-story like that clip I linked. It's a plot point for the Injustice JLA became super-villains and the traditional versions are there to talk sense in them or fight them because they're super-villains. Not the same context as the DCEU.

Whedon's take being terrible didn't make whatever Snyder made as good, the last time he did that we got B vs S. Which hurt DCEU Superman more than Man of Steel. Curiosity is not endorsement. I'm curious about it and I hate how he writes these characters. Snyder's DCEU movies haven't finished, he gets another shot with the Snyder Cut - which gives us more material about Superman to have discourse about.

Yeah, the virus helped Snyder, so what? He still gets to make his movie like he wanted. That's a win. How those stories are written allow context that they're not really Superman, one Superman is evil and from another world who is the bad guy, the other is the bad guy because he's being mind controlled by a super-villain. There are story reasons why they're not the Superman we know, and why they must be fought. With Snyder we're supposed to be think he's the good guy and he hasn't got an excuse from being brain washed.

What? How does stopping Snyder Superman have anything to do with taking brainwashing out comics? Or evil versions of characters? Those characters and stories are made knowing you're supposed to hate and fear them, because they're not how Superman's supposed to act but are foils for Superman to fight against, They're enemies to fight in the DCU. It's got nothing to do with being scared of anything, and it's hypocritical when Snyder's very corporate himself. He's not an indy director working on a movie in his basement, he makes blockbuster movies with hundreds of millions with iconic super-heroes.

Of course we have our Superman, we have one in the CW right now who's about to get his own show. Whedon Superman is ours, as well. (In the scenes he directed.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uarSBaSJ8g

Moore's talking about comic creators who created characters and weren't properly compensated. That's not Snyder's position. He's a rich guy, does it look like WB isn't paying him well? Siegel and Shuster, and Kirby were penniless for their efforts, that's far from what Snyder's up to financially. He made two movies and his third was impacted by politics and tragedy - which is what all directors go though in those conditions. He's paid to do a job, and he did it. He's not owed movies by WB.