Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Will we get a new Superman cartoon?

Superman hasn't had a cartoon of his own in 20 years. He's just about to get his own live actions how in CW. How long before we get another one? Superman TAS is what made me a Superman fan.

Astonishing Member

We're getting more animated movies, Man of Tomorrow this month and there will be slate of new projects at FanDome.
    Regarding animated tv-series, to be honest, I'm not sure. For some reason they aren't doing them even about Batman currently, who's more popular now. I have no idea why.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Personally, I don't think warner animations is competent to produce a greats superman animated movie or series. The character is better of being licensed of. I would only have faith if someone like Genndy Tartakovsky or brad bird is incharge.as for tas, timm didn't have a handle on the character. His best superman is for gods and Monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Personally, I don't think warner animations is competent to produce a greats superman animated movie or series. The character is better of being licensed of. I would only have faith if someone like Genndy Tartakovsky or brad bird is incharge.as for tas, timm didn't have a handle on the character. His best superman is for gods and Monsters.
    I don't know if they would want, but it would be cool to see Shankar Animation and the people involved in the Castlevania anime, do something with Superman.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Right now I don't think there's anywhere to air them. No network carries cartoons anymore and CN has made it clear it has no interest in that sort off thing. If they made one, it would probably be on their streaming service like Harley Quinn is. And even that's more "cartoony" than a traditional superhero show.
    Assassinate Putin!

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Right now I don't think there's anywhere to air them. No network carries cartoons anymore and CN has made it clear it has no interest in that sort off thing. If they made one, it would probably be on their streaming service like Harley Quinn is. And even that's more "cartoony" than a traditional superhero show.
    I mean, there is plenty of streaming services. Heck! Hbo max exists now. They would need content. People gobble up content like no tomorrow these days, anyway.

Not even Batman gets those anymore. I just don’t think enough kids watch them and buy toys for them these days. Maybe if WB decides it could use a Superman cartoon for HBO Max it will happen, but that seems a faint hope at best. Tim Daly and Clancy Brown are both on the DC Fandome List though, and I don’t see Kevin Conroy on the list, so hopefully we might get another animated movie starring those two (assuming they’re not reprising their roles for SS).

I'd love a new series, but the animation end seems totally focused on movies right now. Which is fine, the animated features are generally good too, but it'd be fun to have a serialized show to follow again.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

Probably not. I think it's the idea that characters like Superman and Batman are too big name to get straight up series anymore. It's similar logic as to why Green Arrow keeps on replacing Batman. The idea of a Superman show is "too overused".

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Probably not. I think it's the idea that characters like Superman and Batman are too big name to get straight up series anymore. It's similar logic as to why Green Arrow keeps on replacing Batman. The idea of a Superman show is "too overused".
    But Superman's been appearing on Supergirl for a while now and he's about to get another tv show on CW. WB is very confusing when it comes to embargoes.

It's simple, kids don't want or watch action cartoons anymore, or at least the execs think that. Cartoon Network won't air them, certainly not on a schedule that will allow them to survive. So there's two problems right there - 1) If you don't think kids will watch, it has to be aimed at adults, and adults don't buy toys which means no toylines to pay for the cost of animation. That's a big deal for action cartoon series and helped sink Young Justice for years until the revival. And 2) the only place that you can air such a cartoon is a streaming service, and the only service you can air a DC cartoon like that with DCU streaming site going out is HBO Max, which is very new and I hear somewhat new, muddled, and crappy.

So you need someone new in charge to say that action cartoons can be either be done without toylines or they believe kids will still watch quality action cartoons after all, and the streaming site needs to find it's legs.

Oh there's also 3) which is they may think adults only need the movies and TV shows so no push for a cartoon series.

Sad but I can see the point from their point of view.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Young Justice season 3 seems like it underwent a budget downgrade (choppier animation at times and I noticed a few of the celebrity voice actors didn't return), so that sounds about right.

Superhero Animation much like video games isn’t exactly thriving like live action tv and movies. Which is why I kinda pause whenever I hear complaints about there being no Superman games or cartoons. Besides Batman/Spider-Man games or TTGO or those forgettable MCU lite marvel cartoons, Superman isn’t exactly an odd man out. Those are just mediums where superheroes in general aren’t thriving.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    But Superman's been appearing on Supergirl for a while now and he's about to get another tv show on CW. WB is very confusing when it comes to embargoes.
    I feel like the fact that it's a Supergirl show supports my point.