Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is Maxwell Lord Diana’s #3 nemesis?

How did we get here? Somehow Maxwell Lord is not only the big bad in the current WW arc but the new movie as well. As much as it pains me to say it, Max May legitimately be Diana’s #3 arch nemesis.

How did he surpass all of her other rogues? And is it just me or is he just a better looking version of Dr. Psycho?

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    How did we get here? Somehow Maxwell Lord is not only the big bad in the current WW arc but the new movie as well. As much as it pains me to say it, Max May legitimately be Diana’s #3 arch nemesis.

How did he surpass all of her other rogues? And is it just me or is he just a better looking version of Dr. Psycho?
    I'm going with 'hell no'

I think the only reason we're seeing him in the comic at the moment is *because* he's in the movie. If everything hadn't been delayed, the movie would have been out in June and (I think) this arc in July.

How did he surpass all of her other rogues? And is it just me or is he just a better looking version of Dr. Psycho
    DC had her kill him a provocative fashion in the lead-up to a massive event, something that had more eyes on it than any normal individual WW issue would, and in-universe fallout from it. So Max arguably has a bigger "win" over Diana than any of her more traditional foes such as Cheetah, Circe, or Ares can claim.

But yes, removed from that he doesn't bring anything to WW's rogues gallery bench than others like Psycho don't already and I don't consider him a WW villain (let alone her #3). Hopefully once the movie comes and goes, Max does too.
    Last edited by Gaius; 08-08-2020 at 09:34 AM.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    I'm going with 'hell no'

I think the only reason we're seeing him in the comic at the moment is *because* he's in the movie. If everything hadn't been delayed, the movie would have been out in June and (I think) this arc in July.

I'm not disagreeing with you here but I wonder why they chose Max Lord for the movie instead of Dr. Psycho or even the Duke of Deception? Max and Diana fought once before this while Diana has had numerous altercations with Dr. Psycho and the Duke of Deception.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I'm not disagreeing with you here but I wonder why they chose Max Lord for the movie instead of Dr. Psycho or even the Duke of Deception? Max and Diana fought once before this while Diana has had numerous altercations with Dr. Psycho and the Duke of Deception.
    I'm going to guess we have Geoff Johns's involvement with the movie to thank for that.

Maybe Patty Jenkins would've used Max anyway, but I'd wager it was Geoff who brought him to the table since he was a big part of the 'Diana kills Max' story to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Honestly, you could flip the genders and still keep the corrupt CEO character by making him Veronica Cale. Especially since Cheetah and Cale since Rebirth have had their stories intertwined in ways.

He is not even close. The number of stories where he's a personal villain to her can be counted on one hand. You need way more than that to be a number 3 rogue let alone 1 and 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    I'm going with 'hell no'

^^^Makes sense.

And speaking just for myself, if Max is going to be anyone’s nemesis, it should be Ted Kord. The guy who’s brains he blew out.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    I'm going to guess we have Geoff Johns's involvement with the movie to thank for that.

Maybe Patty Jenkins would've used Max anyway, but I'd wager it was Geoff who brought him to the table since he was a big part of the 'Diana kills Max' story to begin with.

Well then, I guess it could have been worse. They could have picked the Mad Hatter and Catwoman for this movie's villains....
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Max will need to have many more stories told about him before that ever happens.

Fantastic Member

I don't think Maxwell Lord is going to be Diana 3 Nemesis!! Their telling the story of WW redeeming him!! after she thinks he has changed, but he hasn't. she will fall in love with him!! Maxwell Lord will replace Steve as her new love interest!! A Story writers love, putting a good woman with a Bad guy!! Dark times are ahead for WW!!!
    Last edited by lotchj; 08-08-2020 at 06:26 PM.

Incredible Member

Personally, I hope it happens. As I've said in other threads, Max and Diana just works as rivals, andI could see him being a top 4 rogue for Diana: Ares, Circe, Cheetah and Maxwell Lord. I hope we continue to get more stories for the two of them. I think the movie will only solidify him as a Wonder Woman villain.

No. Next question, please.

Whether Wonder Woman fans like it or not, he’s now a Wonder Woman villain (movies reach a far bigger audience than any comic ever could) plus he went against her in a huge and iconic DC event! I wouldn’t say he’s in her top 5 yet (Cheetah, Ares, Circe, Giganta, DR Psycho have those spots locked) but he’s definitely ahead of the others (Dr Poison, Silver Swan, Veronica Cale, Paula Van Gunther...etc)

Max Lord was the center of a Wonder Woman-based story that generated a lot of emotions among fans and started a debate (Was it OOC? Was it necessary? Should we blame Diana or the writers? Did her JLA colleagues judge her too harshly? What would Superman have done? What would Batman have done? And so on...) that continues on to this very day.

Without that story (and setting aside a movie that hasn't been released yet), he doesn't rate as a "nemesis" of Wonder Woman at all. And since I thought that story was a dreadful gimmick - clickbait ca. 2005 - I would have been happy to forget about him altogether.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/