Incredible Member

Default Complete Mayors of Gotham City

So some people here may find this interesting. I recently finished chronicling what I believe to be every appearance of a mayor of Gotham City in the mainline continuity comics. Some interesting trivia came to light such as the fact that Gotham's mayor during Batman's earliest days was apparently a Falcone. Here is the list, and I'm very interested to see if anyone knows of any others, especially in peripheral sources like RPG sourcebooks, novelizations, newspaper comics, etc. There are tons of unnamed mayors in the pre-Crisis era so I won't list all of them but they are in the post I will link at the end.

PRE-CRISIS:
    • An unnamed caricature of Fiorello La Guardia from Batman #12 and Detective #68.
    • Carfax - Detective #121 and possibly other titles.
    • Bradley Stokes - Detective #179.
    • Sheppard - World's Finest #69 and seemingly Detective #277.
    • Taylor - mentioned in Detective #375.
    • Hayes - Batman #207 and possibly other titles.
    • Hamilton Hill
    • George P. Skowcroft

POST-CRISIS + POST-FLASHPOINT:
    • Theodore Cobblepot - late 1800s (Gotham Underground, All-Star Western)
    • unnamed mayor killed by Court of Owls in 1914 - Batman and Robin #23.2
    • Archibald Brewster - Great Depression era (Daily Planet Guide to Gotham City)
    • Thorndike - killed by Made of Wood killer in 1948 (Detective 784-786)
    • Aubrey James - associate of Thomas Wayne (Legends of the Dark Knight 204-206)
    • Jessop - mayor shortly after the Wayne murders (Return of Bruce Wayne 5)
    • Falcone - Mayor during Year One mansion scene. Confirmed in script from Absolute edition + Secret Origins #50.
    • Wilson Klass - LotDK stories Prey, Heat, Infected, Idols, Duty; possibly Batman: Ego.
    • Hill - mayor during aftermath of Joker's debut; Batman Confidential #22-25.
    • Gill - Irresistible (LotDK 169-171)
    • unnamed man in Batman Annual #14 (might be Falcone)
    • Grogan - Two-Face Year One
    • unnamed man in Robin Year One (looks like Gill)
    • unnamed man killed in Gotham After Midnight
    • Charles Chesterfield - Gotham Knights #18
    • unnamed man in Huntress: Year One
    • unnamed man who is killed in Batman: The Cult
    • Donald Webster - Batman: The Cult and possibly Run, Riddler, Run
    • Julius Lieberman - Batman vs. Predator; possibly the unnamed man with different hair color in Detective 626.
    • Goode - Robin II, Annual 1, possibly Justice Society of America #1
    • unnamed African American man from Detective #648; possibly a miscolor of Goode.
    • Armand Krol - early-mid 90s
    • Marion Grange - mid-late 90s
    • Daniel Danforth Dickerson III - post-No Man's Land
    • David Hull - Gotham Central, et al.
    • Seamus McGreevy - City of Crime
    • unnamed woman referenced in Detective #817, possibly former DA Karen Willis
    • Sebastian Hady
    • Muir - Councilwoman who served as interim mayor in Birds of Prey Manslaughter arc.
    • Michael Akins - James Tynion IV's Detective Comics
    • Atkins - Batman vs. Ra's al Ghul
    • Dunch - James Tynion IV's Batman
    • Christopher Nakano - Anti-vigilante candidate who wins election in a landslide, according to solicit for Detective #1033.

Well, that's all I've got. I think it's fascinating there have been so many and it was so inconsistent over the years. I like to imagine all ~three dozen of these mayors of Gotham being canon to Batman's current history. Anyway here is a four-part series I did with more details:
    https://therealbatmanchronologyproje...yors-part-1-2/
    https://therealbatmanchronologyproje...mayors-part-2/
    https://therealbatmanchronologyproje...mayors-part-3/
    https://therealbatmanchronologyproje...mayors-part-4/
    Last edited by PurpleGlovez; 09-11-2020 at 02:12 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleGlovez View Post
    So some people here may find this interesting. I recently finished chronicling what I believe to be every appearance of a mayor of Gotham City in the mainline continuity comics. Some interesting trivia came to light such as the fact that Gotham's mayor during Batman's earliest days was apparently a Falcone. Here is the list, and I'm very interested to see if anyone knows of any others, especially in peripheral sources like RPG sourcebooks, novelizations, newspaper comics, etc. There are tons of unnamed mayors in the pre-Crisis era so I won't list all of them but they are in the post I will link at the end.

PRE-CRISIS:
    • An unnamed caricature of Fiorello La Guardia from Batman #12 and Detective #68.
    • Carfax - Detective #121 and possibly other titles.
    • Bradley Stokes - Detective #179.
    • Sheppard - World's Finest #69 and seemingly Detective #277.
    • Taylor - mentioned in Detective #375.
    • Hayes - Batman #207 and possibly other titles.
    • Hamilton Hill
    • George P. Skowcroft

POST-CRISIS + POST-FLASHPOINT:
    • Theodore Cobblepot - late 1800s (Gotham Underground, All-Star Western)
    • unnamed mayor killed by Court of Owls in 1914 - Batman and Robin #23.2
    • Archibald Brewster - Great Depression era (Daily Planet Guide to Gotham City)
    • Thorndike - killed by Made of Wood killer in 1948 (Detective 784-786)
    • Aubrey James - associate of Thomas Wayne (Legends of the Dark Knight 204-206)
    • Jessop - mayor shortly after the Wayne murders (Return of Bruce Wayne 5)
    • Falcone - Mayor during Year One mansion scene. Confirmed in script from Absolute edition + Secret Origins #50.
    • Wilson Klass - LotDK stories Prey, Heat, Infected, Idols, Duty; possibly Batman: Ego.
    • Hill - mayor during aftermath of Joker's debut; Batman Confidential #22-25.
    • Gill - Irresistible (LotDK 169-171)
    • unnamed man in Batman Annual #14 (might be Falcone)
    • Grogan - Two-Face Year One
    • unnamed man in Robin Year One (looks like Gill)
    • unnamed man killed in Gotham After Midnight
    • Charles Chesterfield - Gotham Knights #18
    • unnamed man in Huntress: Year One
    • unnamed man who is killed in Batman: The Cult
    • Donald Webster - Batman: The Cult and possibly Run, Riddler, Run
    • Julius Lieberman - Batman vs. Predator; possibly the unnamed man with different hair color in Detective 626.
    • Goode - Robin II, Annual 1, possibly Justice Society of America #1
    • unnamed African American man from Detective #648; probably a miscolor of Goode.
    • Armand Krol - early-mid 90s
    • Marion Grange - mid-late 90s
    • Daniel Danforth Dickerson III - post-No Man's Land
    • David Hull - Gotham Central, et al.
    • Seamus McGreevy - City of Crime
    • unnamed woman referenced in Detective #817, possibly former DA Karen Willis
    • Sebastian Hady
    • Muir - Councilwoman who served as interim mayor in Birds of Prey Manslaughter arc.
    • Michael Akins - James Tynion IV's Detective Comics
    • Atkins - Batman vs. Ra's al Ghul
    • Dunch - James Tynion IV's Batman

Well, that's all I've got. I think it's fascinating there have been so many and it was so inconsistent over the years. I like to imagine all ~three dozen of these mayors of Gotham being canon to Batman's current history. Anyway here is a four-part series I did with more details:
    https://therealbatmanchronologyproje...yors-part-1-2/
    https://therealbatmanchronologyproje...mayors-part-2/
    https://therealbatmanchronologyproje...mayors-part-3/
    https://therealbatmanchronologyproje...mayors-part-4/
    Awesome. There's just no way they can all be canon with a real-life frame of time applied. Obviously some of these titles themselves are non-canon material. And several were definitely "interim" types filling in after some sort of killing or assassination. Joker basically snipes Dickerson, right? Just for laughs.

But some of these are legendary figures in Batman lore. Also good to figure out what their fates all were. Hady, slaughtered by Lady Shiva's men, for instance. Hill exposed as corrupt I think? So on, so forth.

Nobody would want to be the Mayor of Gotham.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

only one woman? Only one African American (possibly)? curious.

what about the folks depicted in film or TV?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    Awesome. There's just no way they can all be canon with a real-life frame of time applied. Obviously some of these titles themselves are non-canon material. And several were definitely "interim" types filling in after some sort of killing or assassination. Joker basically snipes Dickerson, right? Just for laughs.

But some of these are legendary figures in Batman lore. Also good to figure out what their fates all were. Hady, slaughtered by Lady Shiva's men, for instance. Hill exposed as corrupt I think? So on, so forth.

Nobody would want to be the Mayor of Gotham.
    Tim Drake grew up from 12 years old when Jason died to 17-year old by the end of Post Crisis. I don't know what happened to each mayor, but if you do, you can tell if having all of them from Goode to Greevy in that period make sense or not ^^

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Tim Drake grew up from 12 years old when Jason died to 17-year old by the end of Post Crisis. I don't know what happened to each mayor, but if you do, you can tell if having all of them from Goode to Greevy in that period make sense or not ^^
    I've got a lot of love for Hamilton Hill. I liked that 70s era vibe and obviously remembered him from The Animated Series, like everyone from the Englehart run, the idea was a keeper and the connection to Boss Thorne was fantastic. Again, since TAS played with those characters, I felt like I had a good feel for them, and that was the same sort of era where like, Arthur Reeves (who turned up in Phantasm as well) and frankly, Harvey Bullock turned up. Cool characters in the books that became so fleshed out that it's always weird to read Batman books that don't use them as Gotham City institutions akin to Gordon or Thompkins. Hamilton Hill freaking SHOT Harvey Bullock and got it covered up. Constantly mucked with Gordon. And gets ****-canned right around CRISIS time during the Nocturna debacle, being ousted in disgrace, but is still presumably alive and in the era of TV punditry and whatever, we need him! (Terry McGinnis went to Hamilton Hill High School!). This guy is like the perfect "political commentator" for Gotham and I could really see them using him in this sort of Mike Bloomberg role, especially if he like buys the Gazette or something.

It was fantastic to see his son, Hamilton Hill Jr, even just for a really quick world-build in Tynion's Detective run following the long-awaited death of Sebastian Hady. Hady, I think, was what, mayor from One Year Later all the way through to Rebirth? He might have the longest mayoral run in canon.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Incredible Member

Hamilton Hill is a weird one. He's introduced as a businessman (what type of business is never specified) and old friend of Bruce's, and runs on a seemingly sincere platform of police reform. Even when his connection to Rupeet Thorne is revealed, the true extent of his corruption is unclear. It wasn't until Moench that his villainy was ramped up to 11 and he tried to have Harvey Bullock assassinated. Also, at one point they refer to him as Harrison.

Rupert Thorne made a return in Detective Comics #825, but Hamilton Hill to my knowledge has never re-appeared after his shuffling off in Moench's run. He is referenced in a 1988 Who's Who profile and 2000 RPG sourcebook, but Tynion's Hamilton Hill Jr. is the most overt reference to the character in canon since the mid-1980s.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    Hady, I think, was what, mayor from One Year Later all the way through to Rebirth? He might have the longest mayoral run in canon.
    I was surprised to see Hady in Post Crisis because I thought he's New 52 reboot mayor. If he started from One Year Later, then in canon timeline, he lasts 3 years, from when Damian was 10 then to 13 years old in Rebirth.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Hamilton Hill was the mayor in the animated series. The High School Terry McGinnis attends is named after him.

Incredible Member

So, per recent solicits of Detective Comics, namely #1033, an anti-vigilante mayoral candidate wins election by a landslide after Joker War and will play a significant part in the Bat-books. His name is Christopher Nakano and it looks like he's wearing an eyepatch. Kinda neat.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleGlovez View Post
    So, per recent solicits of Detective Comics, namely #1033, an anti-vigilante mayoral candidate wins election by a landslide after Joker War and will play a significant part in the Bat-books. His name is Christopher Nakano and it looks like he's wearing an eyepatch. Kinda neat.
    The eyepatch seems a little too extra, but I guess he loses it in Joker's attack.

Has Gotham had any pro-vigilante mayors?

Incredible Member

I personally think the patch is a nice touch. The old pre-Crisis mayors where friendly toward Batman, Hamilton Hill originally had no problem with him specifically, nor did Skowcroft; some of them start off antagonistic toward Batman but then relent after he saves them or their relatives from some danger (Klass, Krol, etc.) But I think most of the modern ones either dislike or are indifferent towards him. Marion Grange was pretty Batman-friendly.