Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Man, remember when Jim Gordon used the Mech-Batsuit??

Mind was wandering today while reading comics and for some reason I remembered when towards the end of the New 52 era after Bruce "died" and Gordon took over as Batman using the mechanical Batsuit.

Even though it happened, just saying it out loud sounds bonkers, ah comic books.

I think it, even before the Metals, was the perfect proof that "because comic books" doesn't work as a justification to do random, zany ideas for the sake of them in this era of drawn-out, high stakes comics. Fun for the one-and-dones of annuals or classic comics yes, but drawing the whole line into ridiculous and instantly dated status quo changed, no.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Batbunny for me holds up better than remembered (and it didn't go on for that long) while Death of the Family aged worse for me. DoF makes as much sense as your average issue of Spawn.

I mean it’s still canon, Joshua Williamson had Gordon use the mech suit on Superman during the infected/secret six story arc. So at some point they can still go back and say “hey remember when our police commissioner was Batman with a robot.”

Is it a bit silly and over the top? Yes, but it’s kind of fun.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Just recently read through that again. It's fun. Gordon giving the Bat a go. But in my head canon he's too old to want to be out and about that much. Enjoyed reading it though as Gordon is one of my favorite characters in comics.

I thought about adapting that as a Luke story for one of the animated movies. It just felt like Luke was an easier sell than Gordon.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I blocked it out of memory.

That was such a missed opportunity for Snyder to push Duke or Luke Fox
    I guess it didn't last that long but that period saw so many crossovers all over the DCU

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Gordon running’s round Gotham in a BatBunny Mech suit was one hell of a mid life crisis.

Incredible Member Light of Justice's Avatar

My thought exactly. Well, we can count on Gotham for some craziness.
    Last edited by Light of Justice; 08-08-2020 at 08:52 PM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    I guess it didn't last that long but that period saw so many crossovers all over the DCU
    They pushed Duke with We Are Robin. As for Luke, his series was just canceled so maybe they didn't dare to try it so soon.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Old ass Gordon all of a sudden became swole and fought crime; top tier Snyder foolery

Now this is my Gordon:

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Yeah totally, they could have had a real watershed moment with a Batman of color where he IS Batman.

I would have gone with Luke Fox since he is so closely tied to the Bat-Family as it is

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Old ass Gordon all of a sudden became swole and fought crime; top tier Snyder foolery
    Personally I wish we never learnt who was in the mech-suit, I found the parts of Superheavy that involved amnesiac Bruce and the idea of going into detail ofGotham coping with losing Batman while having a privately owned Batman fighting crime to be far more interesting than the Gordon portions. There was a lot of things set up during Gordon's time as Batman that never got followed through.
    I'm currently reading Batman, Detective Comics, DCeased: Dead Planet, Dark Knights: Death Metal, Daredevil, Thor, Nightwing, The Rise of Ultraman and Red Hood and The Outlaws. I'm also trade-waiting the Hickman-era of X-Men comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Westbats View Post
    Personally I wish we never learnt who was in the mech-suit, I found the parts of Superheavy that involved amnesiac Bruce and the idea of going into detail ofGotham coping with losing Batman while having a privately owned Batman fighting crime to be far more interesting than the Gordon portions. There was a lot of things set up during Gordon's time as Batman that never got followed through.
    I totally agree and it could've fit in to Morrison's Three Batmans with the police having a contingency just in case Bats died; especially since Snyder loves Morrison's Batman.

I also wish there was a bit more fleshing out of that Joker look alike (I still don't know what that was supposed to be) and Bruce's meeting
    Last edited by charliehustle415; 08-10-2020 at 08:07 PM.