Default Geoff Johns Flash Rebirth and Beyond...(speculation)

So I am not a fan of Johns Flash Rebirth...I feel like there is lots wrong with it but the Flash universe he was settling up had potential to be good. (stupid New 52!)

Anyway I was just thinking about some things that the seeds were planted for and was wondering what peoples thoughts were.

So, when Brightest Day #0 came out there was a page where they showed future images for different characters and the Flash image showed a bunch of Reverse Flashes (adult and young) running on cosmic treadmills. The speculation then was that FLASHPOINT was to be the Flash version of Sinestro Corp War. Less DC event/more Flash event. Even Geoff discussed it on his old Comic Bloc forums. It did not seem like the story we ended up getting. Which makes sense considering how much Flash Rebirth mirrors Green Lantern Rebirth. (just not in quality IMO)

So my first question is does anyone else think that the Thawne killing Barry's mom plot point was meant to be temporary? At the time I thought it might be something that ultimately would have been reversed at the end of Johns run. Kind of like when Zoom killed the twins in Blitz and that was accidently fixed in Rogue War.

Shame. I would have liked to see what he did with Zoloman. Doctor Alchemy and Wally's kids.

Thoughts?

Also, Question about the current Flash series. Do I remember correctly and Hunter Zolomon was revealed to be the Judge/Leader of the Renegades? If so, did Williamson say if that was something he thought of or was it something Johns never used and maybe he shared the idea with him?

I think the problem with Johns run is ultimately it became something it wasn’t meant to be, I’ve heard on numerous accounts that Flashpoint was just supposed to be a flash story and not a universe rebooting event. That’s why we ultimately saw images or teases of plans that should have been that never came to fruition, like a Flash force book starring the Flash family from the end of Flash: Rebirth.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hol View Post
    So I am not a fan of Johns Flash Rebirth...I feel like there is lots wrong with it but the Flash universe he was settling up had potential to be good. (stupid New 52!)

Anyway I was just thinking about some things that the seeds were planted for and was wondering what peoples thoughts were.

So, when Brightest Day #0 came out there was a page where they showed future images for different characters and the Flash image showed a bunch of Reverse Flashes (adult and young) running on cosmic treadmills. The speculation then was that FLASHPOINT was to be the Flash version of Sinestro Corp War. Less DC event/more Flash event. Even Geoff discussed it on his old Comic Bloc forums. It did not seem like the story we ended up getting. Which makes sense considering how much Flash Rebirth mirrors Green Lantern Rebirth. (just not in quality IMO)

So my first question is does anyone else think that the Thawne killing Barry's mom plot point was meant to be temporary? At the time I thought it might be something that ultimately would have been reversed at the end of Johns run. Kind of like when Zoom killed the twins in Blitz and that was accidently fixed in Rogue War.

Shame. I would have liked to see what he did with Zoloman. Doctor Alchemy and Wally's kids.

Thoughts?
    No. The second they killed Barry's mom she was always staying dead. The purpose wasn't for anything else but to give him a "more modern" backstory. And by more modern they mean more like Batman. It's why Superman's parents were dead when they rebooted him in the New 52. It was all monkey see monkey do.

Quote Originally Posted by Hol View Post
    Also, Question about the current Flash series. Do I remember correctly and Hunter Zolomon was revealed to be the Judge/Leader of the Renegades? If so, did Williamson say if that was something he thought of or was it something Johns never used and maybe he shared the idea with him?
    Yes. Williamson basically took a lot of Johns' dangling plot threads and stitched them together in the DCURebirth continuity. Much of it disappointingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    No. The second they killed Barry's mom she was always staying dead. The purpose wasn't for anything else but to give him a "more modern" backstory. And by more modern they mean more like Batman. It's why Superman's parents were dead when they rebooted him in the New 52. It was all monkey see monkey do.

Yes. Williamson basically took a lot of Johns' dangling plot threads and stitched them together in the DCURebirth continuity. Much of it disappointingly.
    To be fair, the Kents were also dead Pre-crisis.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    To be fair, the Kents were also dead Pre-crisis.
    Sure, but not for the same reason as they were in the New 52. It's not some kind of coincidence that they decided to do some parent killing to both Barry and Clark in short succession.

Astonishing Member

I have some doubts that Johns' original Flash Vs Zoom story was supposed to be continuity-changing. But I have no doubts that it was supposed to be an event on the same scale of Blackest Night, and it would involve most DC heroes as well.
    Johns' Flash was probably a flawed concept from the very beginning. He had already used most of his Flash ideas on his previous run and he had to find some new concepts not to make it look too repetitive; IMHO that's why villains he hadn't focused much on like Alchemy and Kadabra were apparently up to become major players in the Flash universe. The problem is, most of the rogues had already had their definitive spotlight in the previous run and there weren't many classic villains left. That's when he came up with the Renegades, who are basically a variation on the Rogues. And yes, the Zoom story was basically Sinestro Corps for The Flash family.
    Also - Green Lantern Rebirth is entirely about Hal Jordan's return. But Barry Allen had already come back in Final Crisis. So Flash Rebirth is in fact Zoom Rebirth.
    Williamson's run may not the definitive Flash run, but I have to give him credit - he really tried to take up a lot of loose threads and conclude most of previously unfinished storylines.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Spectacular Member

Im not a fan of Flash but they seem nice for me, it is not that and right?