Default When was the first time a story continued in a different title?

For example, you're reading a Batman book, and the "part 2" of the story arc continues in Detective Comics.

When was the first time they continued a story arc in a different monthly title? I imagine it was a while ago, and I think of those poor kids that might not have been able to get the next part of the story if by chance the drug store or newsstand where they bought their comics didn't carry that title that month.

An excellent question and I have NO idea, but along with the theme of the thread — as a young kid just getting into comics with a local grocery store as my only source to purchase, I was constantly confounded by the triangle era Superman books and early 90s Spider-Man titles. The local grocery wasn’t carrying Man of Steel or Adventures, or Web of or Spectacular. I was consistently getting half the story.

But hey! I stuck with it, and I’m still buying.

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    An excellent question and I have NO idea, but along with the theme of the thread — as a young kid just getting into comics with a local grocery store as my only source to purchase, I was constantly confounded by the triangle era Superman books and early 90s Spider-Man titles. The local grocery wasn’t carrying Man of Steel or Adventures, or Web of or Spectacular. I was consistently getting half the story.

Oh man, what a terrible time in comics to have to rely on a grocery store for all the issues!

Retired

Probably not the first, but the Captain Nazi story began in MASTER COMICS 21 (December 1941) in the Bulletman feature (guest starring Captain Marvel), then continued in WHIZ COMICS 26 (December 12 1941) in the Captain Marvel feature, which introduced Captain Marvel, Jr., then continued in MASTER COMICS 22 (January 1942) which introduced the new Captain Marvel, Jr., feature for that book.

The one I know best from my own experience was that Catwoman showed up at the end of the Batman feature in DETECTIVE COMICS 369 (November 1967) which teased that she was going to strike at Batman and Batgirl, but I never found the story where that happened, which wasn't in DETECTIVE but rather in BATMAN 197 (December 1967). Although the two parts of the story could be enjoyed independently, it still bugs me that I didn't find that issue at the drugstore.

Extraordinary Member

Not sure if it's the first time, but Zatanna's search for her father Zatara was in 1966/1967. It crossed over Hawkman, Detective Comics, Atom, Green Lantern, and Justice League of America.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Not sure if it's the first time, but Zatanna's search for her father Zatara was in 1966/1967. It crossed over Hawkman, Detective Comics, Atom, Green Lantern, and Justice League of America.
    Yes, I've heard of that one, thought that might be the first, but had a feeling there had to have been one before it.

Retired

Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster's ongoing Doctor Occult story in MORE FUN went from issue 13 (September 1936) of that title to issue 1 (it was a one-shot) of THE COMICS MAGAZINE (May 1936) published by a completely different outfit--Centaur a.k.a. Comics Magazine Company, Inc.--where Doc. Occ. was now called Dr. Mystic--and then back to MORE FUN 14 (October 1936). For anyone trying to get all the Occult series, they would have had to been psychic to know that this missing chapter actually had appeared in another publisher's magazine months before the story in MORE FUN.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Mandatory crossovers have got to be the worst part about these "shared universes" or narrative continuity.

Retired

Not a D.C. creation, but the story arc of the Claw is an early example of a massive crossover event.

Jack Cole created the super-villain the Claw for Lev Gleason's SILVER STREAK COMICS and he appeared in issues 1 (December 1939) and 2 (January 1940) then disappeared for a few issues. A teaser page in issue 5 promised his return in issue 6 (September 1940), where the Jack Cole "Claw Returns" cover presents the monstrous villain in all his awful gory. Also in SILVER STREAK 6, the Daredevil made his debut (created by Jack Binder). The following issue 7 (January 1941) began a five parter by Jack Cole called "Daredevil Battles the Claw." The fifth part, in SILVER STREAK 11 (June 1941), set up a huge event that would play out in DAREDEVIL BATTLES HITLER (July 1941).

DAREDEVIL BATTLES HITLER has Daredevil and other Lev Gleason heroes like the Silver Streak and Dickie Dean confronting the forces of Hitler and the Claw. Also appearing in this issue were Winston Churchill, Joseph Goebbels, Hermann Göring, Heinrich Himmler and Benito Mussilini.

You would think that would have ended the Claw's reign of terror, but that issue just served as a surrogate first issue for DAREDEVIL COMICS--as that title starts out at number 2 (August 1941)--where the Claw has his own ongoing feature for another thirty issues until he seemingly dies in issue 31 (July 1945).

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I started in just after the Golden Age, and this was the one that stuck in my mind. I think I liked it precisely because it was such an original and unexpected thing to do. Now, of course, you'd barely notice.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post

We must be the same person because except for me it was getting comics from Walgreens and I had no idea what those triangles meant, but luckily when I got a little older I discovered that my library had TPBs