Default Black Widow vs Black Canary

Hand-to-hand combat only.

No weapons/gadgets, or powers allowed.

Astonishing Member

I'll give Dinah the edge here, her martial arts skills are among the best in the DCU.

I would give it to Black Widow. Her martial arts and boxing skills are among the best in the MU.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Sadly, I know very little about current Canary, though I'm pretty sure that Pre-Nu52 Canary would take this after a hard fight.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Black Widow also has much greater strength than BC.

What kind of feats does she have going for her to show much greater strength? And how's her durability?
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

I'd say Canary probably has the slight edge here. Widow is generally shown as a step below CBPH in skill, speed and strength. She's close, but closer to Hawkeye/Ronin/Bucky level than Captain America level. Dinah seems a slight cut above. I don't think it's a stomp, just 6-4 or 7-3 for Canary.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    I'd say Canary probably has the slight edge here. Widow is generally shown as a step below CBPH in skill, speed and strength. She's close, but closer to Hawkeye/Ronin/Bucky level than Captain America level. Dinah seems a slight cut above. I don't think it's a stomp, just 6-4 or 7-3 for Canary.
    I'm in that range.

Again, not talking about current Canary, don't know enough about her.

But for PreNu52, I'm edging toward a decent majority for Canary barring some stellar feats for the Widow. Canary has some really, really good speedfeats (and precision feats), casually beats up street-level martial artists with stat-enhancing exosuits (like, laughable ease), utterly humiliates Ollie after he explicitly is shown to get better after a year of training, impresses Shiva with her skill (impresses, not 'makes Shiva want to kill her'), etc.
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    What kind of feats does she have going for her to show much greater strength? And how's her durability?
    Not sure of feats but her Russian Variant of the Super Soldier Serum does grant enhanced strength, speed, endurance and durability---but not as great as Cap. However, one of the last Handbooks produced did state that she could lift/benchpress 500 pounds.

Handbooks don't mean much hereabouts.

Feats do.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Could go either way
    Natasha stalemated Elektra once

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Handbooks don't mean much hereabouts.

Feats do.
    Oh okay. Fair enough. Being more of a spy, not sure about any BW feats.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cruelrain View Post
    Could go either way
    Natasha stalemated Elektra once
    Agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Oh okay. Fair enough. Being more of a spy, not sure about any BW feats.
    While the handbooks are canon in a way, they're... pretty inaccurate. Though there are gems like the Punch Dimension; and an old handbook listing one of Hulk's powers as 'stupid'. Since he lacked higher brainpower at the time, which allowed him to see ghosts and stuff.

So we tend to defer to high end consistent feats. Just smooths things over... does make it hard to debate things sometimes though.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Yeah, it really comes down to feats.

I'm rather iffy on Widow stalemating Elektra, given Elektra's flat-out ridiculous, consistent feats. She's a high-end bullet-timer considered to be one of the most skilled fighters in the world who punches out people's hearts when she's in a bad mood.
    Why are we here?