Spectacular Member

Default How would you recommend looking for storylines?

I want to look for storylines from various runs but I'm not sure how to or what to focus on. How would you recommend looking for storylines?

I’m a tad confused by the question, but let’s see how I do.

First if you’re simply looking for specific storylines, then you should be able to find the trades by the name of the storyline.

If you’re talking about recommendations in general I’d ask what characters or teams you want to read and then ask how much you want to read. Do you want the recent stuff? Do you want their greatest hits? Do you want everything? And etc.

For example,
    Friend: “Hey I want to read Batman, I’m thinking the more recent stuff so I can read the current ongoings”
    Me: “Alright well you may want to go with the new 52 run up until James Tynion’s current run as those runs help form the current Batman. Also, perhaps pick up Tomasi’s Batman and Robin and Tynion’s Rebirth Detective Comics as well for a look at the batfamily.”
    Last edited by sifighter; 08-09-2020 at 08:04 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I used to search by character, typical characters that you identify with or genuinely pique your interest over just the most popular ones, then use the wikia and comicvine as a guide for their appearances.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 08-09-2020 at 02:59 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I start by listing the name of series I know
    if I don't know all of them, the name of characters and find the list of series they appear in
    Starting with characters with presumably most appearances such as Batman or Superman

I would go to the comic book store and ask to see the trade paperbacks. That way you could see what you are getting.

Find out which hero you want to look into, whether you want the best stories or stories to get you into the ongoing, things like that. Narrow down the search to what your interests are. I'd recommend very different books to someone looking for the best of Harley Quinn versus someone looking to get into Justice League's ongoing.