Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default What couples have the best/worst fit in terms of romantic/sexual chemistry?

The chemistry between two people in any relationship is always important in terms of storytelling. We, as the audience, need to be able to root for these two people to get and stay together. When the attempt to build chemistry succeeds, it is a good thing. However, when it fails, it is not only a bad thing, but also distracting from the rest of the story. So, what couples have the best or the worst fit in terms of chemistry?

Also, here is an article about building chemistry:

https://mythcreants.com/blog/twelve-...7hCXHI-td2apwk

The "romantic" scenes between Radcliff and Wright in the HP movies are so deliciously awkward.

I don't know, maybe they were great pals on set but on screen the chemistry is absent.

They were quite young though so i guess it's understandable.

I thought Anakin and Padme had some pretty bad chemistry in the Star Wars Prequal trilogies (or at least the last 2). Rey and Kyle weren't much better. On screen chemistry doesn't appear to be a strong point for Star Wars movies (though Han and Leia were pretty good).

Ultimate Member

I think that some of the problems for any of the Harry Potter couples was that Rowling never wrote much directly about any of them and then those that wrote the movies butchered all of it and then had to rush things in the end...

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    I think that some of the problems for any of the Harry Potter couples was that Rowling never wrote much directly about any of them and then those that wrote the movies butchered all of it and then had to rush things in the end...
    This. In the books, Ginny was present from book two onward. Even if it was a small part, her character was still developed far more than it was in the movies. That being said, Harry crushing on Ginny came out of left field in the books as well.

For the movies, even if Bonnie Wright was in each of the movies, she really didn't get anything to do until the 6th movie, so it was even more out of left field.

BANNED

Please define "chemistry"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Mainly because they were too young to really think about romance when the novels started. And then going into puberty and realizing their sudden feelings is fine--but I thought it was unrealistic all these intermediate/high school romances ended up resulting in marriages in any case.

Other bad couples:

Aang and Katara from Avatar -- Wait you mean Katara didn't see Aang like her younger brother?!?!?!

Jack and Kate from LOST

George and Izzy on Grey's Anatomy

Justin/Brian on Queer as Folk

Jon and Dany from Game of Thrones

Betty and Jughead on Riverdale -- (Yes I know the actors are dating in real life, their characters still seem so random together if you ask me)

I could probably write a novel if you include daytime soaps!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

Things like this make it difficult to take fan opinions of chemistry seriously.

Candice Patton: The chemistry was immediate.

Grant Gustin: I don't even remember any of the other Iris auditions. She was it.

I remember back when "Sky High" was done and people said Kurt Russell and Kelly Preston had no chemistry and Russell clearly hated his role. A decade later, he was asked about his favorite movies and he listed Sky High as one of them and working with Preston as a big reason.

So I tend to be skeptical when people say two people have no chemistry, etc. They tend to be projecting their dislike of two characters being together.

Iris does the same thing everybody else does on the Flash. She gives pep speeches and finds solutions just like Joe and everybody else does, often solutions that are not needed because, without plot-induced stupidity, Barry would just blitz the problem. She and Barry constantly have issues like all other CW romances because that's the nature of all the writing.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I thought Anakin and Padme had some pretty bad chemistry in the Star Wars Prequal trilogies (or at least the last 2). Rey and Kyle weren't much better. On screen chemistry doesn't appear to be a strong point for Star Wars movies (though Han and Leia were pretty good).
    The whole theater I was in had groaned when Rey and Kylo kissed.

Extraordinary Member

I’d say Rey and Kylo are the worst... but almost entirely because the writing just absolutely fails in making their interactions believable, it ends up becoming a massive liability to the characters and especially Rey, and yet is also clearly wasting two talented actors who you can tell probably have good chemistry.

(“Chemistry” here = “an ability of two actors to blend their charisma in a kind of theatrical ‘duet’ of reactions and genuine-seeming emotion that makes something greater than the sum of its parts .”)

To be honest, I think every potential couple in the Sequel Trilogy has at least one scene showing the actors have that natural rapport down... I just think that The Last Jedi through a massive wrench into all of them, in an unusual lapse of skill and judgement on Rian Johnson’s part.

Daisy Ridley and Adam Driver are clearly able to create that rapport... but TLJ insists on removing anything inconvenient from Rey’s character and from all POVs of Kylo, that it ends up being a massive liability.

I mean, Ridley auditioned with the TFA interrogation/torture/metaphor for fighting off a sexual assault scene, so that formed the basis for her idea of her character. Rey was then established as a tough, assertive, rough around the edges survivor forming a found family with Finn and Han (with several reshoots focused on unleashing the natural chemistry of that set of actors to great success). Kylo, meanwhile, is pretty much defined as a Neo-Nazi mass murderer and would-be “mind-rapist” who commits patricide and orders atrocities out of a self-obsessed fanaticism, with Rey ending up as his biggest victim and enemy.

...And then TLJ just insists the Neo-Nazi mind rapist is too compelling and sympathetic for Rey to not start confiding in, crushing on, and putting all her hopes in.

It made their interactions liabilities towards Rey being an assertive, emotionally sincere, and empowering-if-flawed character, because Rey couldn’t be angry or wrathful towards Kylo and couldn’t be as developed as she was in TFA, while also sticking Kylo in a static, shallow characterization because Johnson and LFL thought he was already deep when he... well, wasn’t.

TLJ took two character who had great antagonistic chemistry and some development, and turned them into a Black Hole Sue male lead and a Purity Sue love interest. TROS got stuck trying to pick up the pieces.

(Finn and Rose have pretty abysmal chemistry in comparison to the actors as well, but to a much less damaging extent. KMT and Boyega show their chemistry in their first scene, but then Johnson basically uses Rose as a “message character” for the entire rest of the film and clearly suffers apathy and ignorance towards Finn, so it ends up wasted.)
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Castle and Beckett on Castle.
    Ichabod and Abbie on Sleepy Hollow.
    Kept saying "Just **** already!" watching those shows.

For good: Ant-Man and Wasp in the Marvel movies (actors did the comedy really well and had some more serious moments), Aladdin and Jasmine in both Disney Aladdin movies (I think this really helped sell the quick courtship, alongside the writing giving them a lot of common ground), Max and Chloe in the Life is Strange video game (the game's premise was that these reunited estranged childhood friends were soulmates who needed each other and the writing and actors sold that and then some).

For bad: Anakin and Padme in the Star Wars movies is low-hanging fruit. I thought that Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone in the Amazing Spider-Man movies were extremely inconsistent and had some pretty painful moments (didn't help that the scripts were badly written and depended on the actors' charm to hold things up). Jean Grey with Cyclops and Wolverine in the original X-Men films (minimal interactions between the characters did not help).

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    So I tend to be skeptical when people say two people have no chemistry, etc. They tend to be projecting their dislike of two characters being together.
    Yeah. I mean, it's nice if the actors have a good rapport when filming or recording (that often shines through and can enhance the project overall), but all the rapport, "chemistry," or whatever you want to call it will be hard-pressed to save a bad script. It's also extremely subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    The whole theater I was in had groaned when Rey and Kylo kissed.
    Remember I was groaning; if they wanted that, they should've been writing those moves a whole lot differently.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Castle and Beckett on Castle.
    Ichabod and Abbie on Sleepy Hollow.
    Kept saying "Just **** already!" watching those shows.
    If you believe that the characters are so attracted to each other based on their interactions that they should have sex, that's not really bad chemistry.

That's dragging things out.

Anakin and Padme are a decade long easy target for worst couple meets bad chemistry.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    If you believe that the characters are so attracted to each other based on their interactions that they should have sex, that's not really bad chemistry.

That's dragging things out.
    The thread is about both best and worst chemistry, not just worst chemistry. I chose to go with examples of best.

Kind of weird everyone else is only naming worst. I rechecked the title to make sure "best" was there too.