Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: The Owl House

  1. #1
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,668

    Default The Owl House

    I looked, but couldn't find a thread for this excellent Disney cartoon, so I decided to make one for myself.

    The show follows Luz Noceda, a 14 year old girl who one day stumbles onto the boiling isles, a realm full of magic and demons, where she becomes the apprentice of the strongest (and most wanted) witch on the island, the Owl Lady Eda, who lives with the demon King (voiced by Alex Hirsch).

    If I had to describe the show in a single sentence, it would be "Isekai by way of Gravity Falls". Which makes sense, because it's creator used to work on Gravity Falls.

    You may have seen Owl House blow up on Social media yesterday, as it's newest episode confirmed that two of the lead characters are LGBT, the first characters to be so in a Disney show. To be more specific, Luz is bi, and her love interest is another girl. This episode also had an absolutely stellar dance/battle sequence.

  2. #2
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,403

    Default

    I love this show, and although I have nothing against LGBT pairings it's kinda sad it's only after that for this show to "blow up" on social media - people should have been watching this all along. But it was a good episode and the dance/fight was cute and awesome.

    And technically the show didn't confirm that Luz herself is bi, girls can get away with dancing with girls and it just be a friend thing - although the way media goes she probably will be confirmed that way. Amity was the one really confirmed to be either bi or lesbian that episode. Although I kind of wasn't surprised since she's blushed around Luz before.

    Anyways I love this show and hope more people are watching.

  3. #3
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I love this show, and although I have nothing against LGBT pairings it's kinda sad it's only after that for this show to "blow up" on social media - people should have been watching this all along. But it was a good episode and the dance/fight was cute and awesome.

    And technically the show didn't confirm that Luz herself is bi, girls can get away with dancing with girls and it just be a friend thing - although the way media goes she probably will be confirmed that way. Amity was the one really confirmed to be either bi or lesbian that episode. Although I kind of wasn't surprised since she's blushed around Luz before.

    Anyways I love this show and hope more people are watching.
    The Creator, Dana Terrace, confirmed it online after the episode. And Luz has already been heavily implied to be bi.

    But anyway, who is your favorite character? Mine is Amity. I'm a sucker for her archetype

  4. #4
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    The Creator, Dana Terrace, confirmed it online after the episode. And Luz has already been heavily implied to be bi.

    But anyway, who is your favorite character? Mine is Amity. I'm a sucker for her archetype
    Ah - I never follow show news online. If it's not shown in the episode or mentioned here I just don't know it (I avoid social media like a plague). Am also curious when she was "heavily" implied to be bi on the show, because either I'm just dense on these issues/examples (which isn't all that unlikely) or it wasn't that heavily.

    Favorite character is a toughie, Eda, Luz, and King are all so hilarious and well written and voiced I could watch any one of them for hours.

  5. #5
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    202

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    You may have seen Owl House blow up on Social media yesterday, as it's newest episode confirmed that two of the lead characters are LGBT, the first characters to be so in a Disney show.
    I'm assuming you mean first LGBT lead character in an animated show, as Andi Mack had a gay main character and Ducktales had two gay dads in an episode (also Launchpad is pan, but that's not QUITE spelled out in the show.)

  6. #6
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Ah - I never follow show news online. If it's not shown in the episode or mentioned here I just don't know it (I avoid social media like a plague). Am also curious when she was "heavily" implied to be bi on the show, because either I'm just dense on these issues/examples (which isn't all that unlikely) or it wasn't that heavily.

    Favorite character is a toughie, Eda, Luz, and King are all so hilarious and well written and voiced I could watch any one of them for hours.
    1. She's openly admired hot guys, and once said this line "I have a new crush, and her name is education"
    2. Of those three, my fave is Eda XD

    Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    I'm assuming you mean first LGBT lead character in an animated show, as Andi Mack had a gay main character and Ducktales had two gay dads in an episode (also Launchpad is pan, but that's not QUITE spelled out in the show.)
    I was referring specifically to animated lead characters

  7. #7
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    I'm assuming you mean first LGBT lead character in an animated show, as Andi Mack had a gay main character and Ducktales had two gay dads in an episode (also Launchpad is pan, but that's not QUITE spelled out in the show.)
    Disney animated show, Nickelodeon went there first with Legend of Korra, although that felt like it came out of nowhere, unlike here where it feels a lot more natural.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    1. She's openly admired hot guys, and once said this line "I have a new crush, and her name is education"
    2. Of those three, my fave is Eda XD



    I was referring specifically to animated lead characters
    1. See, the education line is not heavy. That is damn subtle!
    2. My favorite Eda moments are when she's with her sister, don't know why but the family dynamics between them are awesome. But solo Eda is just great. I also like the actress who voices her, I've seen her on a few shows and she's always a standout!

  8. #8
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    561

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I love this show, and although I have nothing against LGBT pairings it's kinda sad it's only after that for this show to "blow up" on social media - people should have been watching this all along. But it was a good episode and the dance/fight was cute and awesome.
    I definitely agree with this sentiment, the show is genuinely good.

    And technically the show didn't confirm that Luz herself is bi, girls can get away with dancing with girls and it just be a friend thing - although the way media goes she probably will be confirmed that way. Amity was the one really confirmed to be either bi or lesbian that episode. Although I kind of wasn't surprised since she's blushed around Luz before.
    While I'm sure that the girls will get together, it'd be interesting if Luz was just quirky and Amity was misreading her...but I feel that would be a bit too complex. I've had plenty of moments like that growing up, especially as a person of LGBT orientation... That said, i'm sure that things will be a bit more easily wrapped in a bow.

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Disney animated show, Nickelodeon went there first with Legend of Korra, although that felt like it came out of nowhere, unlike here where it feels a lot more natural.
    Yeah...Korra was out of nowhere (as in she barely even interacted with Asami, yet I'm supposed to believe they have deep feelings for each other by the end of the series.) Granted they have the fact that Korra sent Asami letters over Bolin and Mako in that same season, but when they didn't really interact before hand it fell flat to me. I suppose I'll give it credit where credit is due for being one of the first same sex couples in western animation, but it's more like "sure".

    Back to this show, when it comes to Amity, I hope they aren't just going to sweep her treatment of Willow under the rug and simply blame her parents and friends for her behavior. In the episode "Understanding Willow" there's something mentioned that Amity just let her friends pick on Willow for years, but when we first meet the characters Amity was picking on Willow with no one but the two of them (and a hidden Luz) around...

  9. #9
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,668

    Default

    Anyone see the new episode?

  10. #10
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Anyone see the new episode?
    I liked that Amity stood up for Willow finally, and that Willow is having a better time now with *most* of her school.

  11. #11
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,668

    Default

    Also, Luz no longer has nerd arms XD

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •