Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    I think Howard Mackie gets a bad rap on Spidey, he was writing the character pretty well through the mid-late 90s before the reboot stuff. The more crime-centric stuff with JRJR was great. I think he had some health issues around the time he was writing the reboot era stuff which coupled with probably burning out on the character didn't make for a good time for him.

He wears like 3 belts and has a bevy of jewelry and rides around with a posse of folks who dress all cool like him, I'd say that's pretty ridiculous- but I love it. I mean more in the sense that he was pretty far beyond what Spider-Man readers were used to for an antagonist in terms of powerset or scope where most of them up til Venom and Carnage were more "grounded" based in science or such.
    I actually agreed, one of my favorite issues was when Peter and Norman got trapped in an elevator and that was written by Mackie. And his Clone Saga parts were the easiest to get throught for me, when i reached the bad storylines.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Yeah, I really like Maximum Carnage as well. It drags on a bit, but is overall lots of fun.

A mini-series I quite enjoy is Spider-man: Reign. It's my favourite "classic hero but as an old man in a dystopian future"-story I've read from either of the big two.
    Spider-Man: Reign is better than (some) people give it credit for being. It's actually quite heartbreaking in places, especially in the second half where we find out how Mary Jane really died, where we see Sandman encounter his daughter too late to save her life, and even the depths of evil and viciousness the Venom symbiote devolves into are rather saddening when one considers how the symbiote ended up on Earth in the first place.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Spider-Man: Reign is better than (some) people give it credit for being. It's actually quite heartbreaking in places, especially in the second half where we find out how Mary Jane really died, where we see Sandman encounter his daughter too late to save her life, and even the depths of evil and viciousness the Venom symbiote devolves into are rather saddening when one considers how the symbiote ended up on Earth in the first place.
    I don't like Reign, but i have to admit there are some moments that i really like, especially the MJ flashbacks and Venom.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I don't like Reign, but i have to admit there are some moments that i really like, especially the MJ flashbacks and Venom.
    I can respect that.

Astonishing Member

Spider-Man: Red Sonja

While the story was cheap, it was still fun to see everyone in a pseudo-Cimmerian setting.

Fantastic Member primenumber101's Avatar

Not sure if other media counts, but I really enjoyed PC version of Spider-Man 2.

I know that version is inferior to console version but I really enjoyed it because that game is the first Spider-Man that I actually managed to beat when I was the kid.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post

While the story was cheap, it was still fun to see everyone in a pseudo-Cimmerian setting.
    Yeah, that was fun, and I liked the dynamic between Spider-Man and Red Sonja (possessing Mary Jane).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post

While the comic itself is still "cheap" (I recently bought a FN copy off eBay for £3), the story is well above average and the art is excellent.

Spectacular Member

I loved Superior Spider-Man in its entirety. I consider it the best storyline in the recent years.

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Round Robin; the Sidekick's Revenge.

I really enjoyed Peter Parker Spider-Man during the Mackie years, because I read it as a kid. Issue 16, "Cliché", was hilarious and it wasn't until I was an adult that I realized it was Mackie talking about his own stuff! He was bored lol

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    I really enjoyed Peter Parker Spider-Man during the Mackie years, because I read it as a kid. Issue 16, "Cliché", was hilarious and it wasn't until I was an adult that I realized it was Mackie talking about his own stuff! He was bored lol
    There were gems in there, like the crime stories. I think he wrote the SHOC saga, which I liked. An obscure nonsense character whose disappeared into the mists of time.

Im going to get some hate for saying this I am sure but I enjoyed the stories in the 70s with The Jackal as the villain. How he cloned Peter and had him fight himself. Then Peter throws the clones body in a smokestack to destroy it. I alwyas read that and thought man how much would that destory me. A trusted friend/teacher betrays me and messes with me and I have to dispose of the body of my clone? hell I enjoyed pretty much all of The Clone Saga as goofy and bad is it was.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

The one with Toad and Leap Frog. Depending on who you ask (that it was good or bad).
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 08-24-2020 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Im going to get some hate for saying this I am sure but I enjoyed the stories in the 70s with The Jackal as the villain. How he cloned Peter and had him fight himself. Then Peter throws the clones body in a smokestack to destroy it. I alwyas read that and thought man how much would that destory me. A trusted friend/teacher betrays me and messes with me and I have to dispose of the body of my clone? hell I enjoyed pretty much all of The Clone Saga as goofy and bad is it was.
    When you put it that way, The Clone Saga could have made for some excellent psychological horror/thriller fodder.