Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Bad Spider-Man stories that you personally enjoyed?

I just randomly had this thought as I read through "The Name of the Rose" (Web of Spider-Man #84-89) story. I haven't seen too many good things said about this one, but under all of the ridiculousness of it, I still found myself enjoying it. A lot of the characters (Peter included) behaved very strangely, though I believe that was the main thing that kept me reading.

Sins Past is another one. I can understand why a lot of people were turned off by this one, though. It also probably helps that I wasn't much of a Gwen Stacy fan back when I first read it, so it didn't really leave me feeling the same way as longtime fans felt.

I understand that "bad" is subjective, but are there any stories that you've enjoyed that many others disliked?

Maximum Carnage, in the great scheme of things is a repetitive mess that acomplish very little and last too long, but i still enjoyed it. Plus we got a cool videogame out of it.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

I will defend Torment to the end of days.

It was ahead of it time, with a TPB length story that ended ambiguously. It was a good example of a hero pushed to the limit, and while even the writer has disavowed it as an early effort, it depicted the character's desperation pretty well.

It's one of the first Spider-Man comics I read, and a big reason the Lizard is my favorite Spider-Man villain.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I agree with Maximum Carnage and Torment! Maximum Carnage is just a fun mega crossover book that just keeps going on with endless battles of good and evil, some of the writers attempted to put some real commentary in there on the darkening nature of comics through Spidey and I think ultimately it's a positive message for the character, too. Also yes it made for a great game, the soundtrack is a banger.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

It was ahead of it time, with a TPB length story that ended ambiguously. It was a good example of a hero pushed to the limit, and while even the writer has disavowed it as an early effort, it depicted the character's desperation pretty well.

It's one of the first Spider-Man comics I read, and a big reason the Lizard is my favorite Spider-Man villain.
    It really was an opportunity for Todd to cut loose making whatever he really wanted to for the first time and you can see he really just stuffed the book full of the kinds of things he wanted to draw. I like how it's Spidey in a dark horror narrative that's more feverish as it goes along and Spidey falls deeper into this battle against monsters and madness. McFarlane's redesign and reinterpretation of Calypso was pretty memorable, when fans think of Calypso they likely don't think of her original design. I like seeing the Lizard as a mindless force of nature like this, it's at least a change of pace from the rut the character usually is in. Sure the writing is pretty overwrought but the "DOOMDOOMDOOM" is part of the madness charm and the real reason you're there is for the Todd tour-de-force.

I don't know if you can say the story per say is bad as Greg Rucka's a good writer and his script isn't bad here, but Spider-Man: Quality of Life from 2002 is one I enjoy I don't think many others do. It's the mini-series with the CGI art by Scott Sava. I look at the art as having a lot of charm to it where some are probably turned off by seeing a comic drawn CGI that's aged, it's a marker of when the book was made: early 2000s, riding high off the first movie hype. It's like seeing a couple episodes of a lost early 2000s CGI Spidey cartoon. I think the storytelling itself in the CGI art is good, it's clear to read and flows like a comic should, plus the foreshortening tricks help to make it feel Kirby-esque and more like comic art. What I'm saying is if you can find charm in a comic not drawn the traditional way and like the novelty of early 2000s CGI it works! Yith was a cool villain, too. She fits in with the animal themed villains, wouldn't mind seeing her pop up more, surprised she never did more than cameos here and there.

iMan 42s

Superior Spider-man had a great relaunch and was a pretty solid book up until that piss poor reversion of Otto they called an ending.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

BANNED

Go Down Swinging had some decent issues. And No One Dies had decent art.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

Yeah, i do have a weakness for Torment too, especially the artwork.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    That's a lot coming from you, honestly! No disrespect, all in good fun!

I guess I'll go with Marvel Knights: Spider-Man with Matt Kindt and Marco Rudy. People don't talk about this one enough, and it was incredibly awesome. Yes, incoherent and jumbled, and the plot didn't make much sense, but I love a solid romp through the entire Spider-Man rogues gallery.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    The issue with Jameson and Norman at the Gentleman's club is genuinely good and suspenseful, the reveal that a conversation Norman seems to be having with himself but is in fact with Jameson as captive audience was done well. The rest of the story is scatterbrained as all-get-out. I mean Norman's wife Emily's "alive-the-whole-time---the-whole-time" takes the cake and the focus on the Spider-Family doesn't work.

In the case of No One Dies, the visuals by Martin are better than that story deserves. It's main point is based not on real grief but comic book grief, i.e. grief in a world where characters come back from the dead off-and-on, and that's not a foundation for a story whose artwork really does sell the concept of grief and guilt. Not to mention the entire B-Story of Spider-Man and the serial killer villain feels unconnected from it.

Astonishing Member

Infinity Warps: Spider-Man

The series lacks any sort of plot development but I still look forward to seeing it again.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Superior Spider-man had a great relaunch and was a pretty solid book up until that piss poor reversion of Otto they called an ending.
    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    No One Dies, and Superior Spider-Man, especially the first half, seem to be pretty well-regarded.

Go Down Swinging seems to be well-reviewed.

https://comicbookroundup.com/comic-b...man-(2015)/797
    https://comicbookroundup.com/comic-b...man-(2015)/800
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post

I guess I'll go with Marvel Knights: Spider-Man with Matt Kindt and Marco Rudy. People don't talk about this one enough, and it was incredibly awesome. Yes, incoherent and jumbled, and the plot didn't make much sense, but I love a solid romp through the entire Spider-Man rogues gallery.
    Well I did love the stuff with Virtue even if it did come off a bit mean spirited towards Superman.

not a great memory at this point about stories that have since been "shamed"... I just liked what I liked, over the years.

As a teenager, I loved the hell out of Final Chapter, the story that brought back aunt May after the Clone Saga. I re-read it from time to time and, though I don't find it good anymore, I still enjoy it for what it is. Sins Past is a story which I not only understand the criticism, but I agree with it, and still I have a fun time reading it. I love how the mystery is built in the first half and some emotional beats. It's not a storyline I defend and I think the main idea is awful, but I enjoy it
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Incredible Member

Have to agree with Maximum Carnage. Also want to say the 90's Clone Saga. Avoiding some of the useless books, it's not bad. It's not great. But it's not bad.