View Poll Results: Hawkman: more Thanagarian or more Egyptian?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • more Thanagarian

55 60.44%
  • more Egyptian

36 39.56%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Thanagarian vs Egyptian: how do you like your Hawkfolk?

No fence-straddling allowed here.

Choose which side should be more dominant for Hawkman: his Thanagarian side or his Egyptian side?

I'm not a Hawkman fan, but I did get into the fantastic HAWKWORLD series from the 1990s.

For me, it's Thanagar all the way, and give the Egyptian pantheon / mythos completely to the Shazam franchise.

You?

I don't get how this is complicated. Or how any think drawing this ^ harsh line between them is what is necessary.
    Option 3. More of both!
    Thanagarians (with the alien ability to reincarnate) two runaways once hiding out and embedded in ancient Egyptian culture, now in current time incarnation; (awaken to) discover their alien roots.
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-10-2020 at 07:52 AM.

Why not both?

It wasn't that complicated initially; Carter and Shiera were archaeologists who found out they were reincarnations of ancient Egyptians named Khufu and Chay-Ara. Their threats were mainly magic based. Subsequent revisions introduced the idea of ancient Thanagarians crash landing in Ancient Egypt and that's how they came upon Nth Metal. One or both could have been ancient Thangarian astronauts.

Karter and Shayera Hol are Thanagarian police officers who ended up on earth while chasing a criminal named Byth. Katar and Shayera have completely different personalities. If you want to draw connection between the two sets of Hawks; maybe either Katar or Shayera were distantly related to Khufu or Chay-Ara. There have been stories where Hawkman's father, Paran Hol visited earth long before Katar did so maybe picked up some stories about Carter and Shiera hence why the similarities in names. Or maybe Katar and Shayera took up those names in honor of the originals because their Thanagarian names were unpronounceable to human tongues and aliens have bad spelling.

Maybe to really distinguish them; have Carter be the sole reincarnated soul in the current cycle. He is the dude who goes on Indiana Jones style pulpy adventures fighting ancient evils hidden away in temples. Shayera/Hawkwoman is the alien fish-out-of-water, hot headed ex police officer who is getting acclimated to Earth culture. They both mentor Kendra Saunders with Carter having the hots for Shayera who is reluctant to hook up with the reincarnation of her ex's great-great-*several centuries-grand father.

I kind of like the current set-up in the Robert Vendetti ongoing, where its Carter/Katar and Shiera/Shayera reincarnate over space and time while maintaining their past lives memories. Kind of like lost lovers who will always reunite and remember each other no matter where and when they exist. I think it works pretty well given the complicated mess I've seen of Hawkmen past.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

neither, I like the current set up. it's cohesive, it covers all the lore, and it opens both him and Hawkgirl/Hawkwoman up to the universe more distinctly and comfortably. plus, I like reincarnation mixed with the cosmic space-time aspect because it opens up not just the characters more culturally but it also opens up the universe culturally. Thanagar or Ancient Egypt as a starting point doesn't feel all that compelling on its own.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 08-10-2020 at 12:42 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Astonishing Member

I can't decide because I liked when there were two sets of Hawks -- one more science-based and another more mythological based.

I like the Earth 2/Golden Age/Reincarnated Carter Hall but,
    I like the Earth 1/Silver Age/Thanagarian Katar Hol just a bit more.
    HawkJK.jpg

I love both sets of Hawks but prefer Katar Hol and Shayera Thal. I like the history and set up pre Flashpoint. I just love the whole space cop Hawks look and Thanagarian history. I feel like it should be focused on more. Also, just something more interesting about Katar to me. Less brute cave man and more of a thinker. Carter (post JSA 25 at least) was all kick ass and take names and Katar (Hawkworld and forward) seemed to be more compassionate and introspective.

No fence straddling? Unfair!

I went with Thanagar, but really that's not enough for me. Thanagar just makes the Hawks like any number of other aliens on earth. I love Thanagar and its history and mythology and all of that, it's a great resource, but "alien space cop" is too common a theme.

The reincarnated Egyptian royalty concept is far more unique in comics and lends itself well to a ton of great mythology and concepts that also folds in characters like Dr. Fate and Metamorpho without completely absorbing all their individual agency.....but you lose out on all the fantastic Thanagar stuff!

I voted for Thanagar and I played by your rules Bomma, but I really think at this point the Hawks benefit more from combining the two origins.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    No fence-straddling allowed here.
    Dammit I was totally about to straddle, because I do like a mix of both...:

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    I don't get how this is complicated. Or how any think drawing this ^ harsh line between them is what is necessary.
    Option 3. More of both!
    Thanagarians (with the alien ability to reincarnate) two runaways once hiding out and embedded in ancient Egyptian culture, now in current time incarnation; (awaken to) discover their alien roots.

But, if forced to choose I’d say Egyptian.

Ultimate Member

More Thanagarian space cop for Hawkman.

For ancient Egyptian stuff, a bigger focus on that for Dr. Fate and / or Black Adam and / or Isis, to get the best of both works.

Extraordinary Member

I've got nothing against Carter Hall, but Hawkman will always be Katar Hol to me. He's my favorite and I want him to be a separate entity to Carter.

I prefer the Thanagarian version simply because of the elegant simplicity of 'alien space cops'. From there you can build to anywhere. Plus it makes sense there would be local law enforcement divisions for planets in addition to the GL Corps.

The 'star crossed lovers who are eternally reincarnated' can become too limited down the line especially if you rope in Shayera and Katar into it. We barely even see them having a supporting cast that weren't other superheroes.

Astonishing Member

I prefer Thanagarian because the first time I was able to get into the Hawks was when I was reading the Silver Age version in the Showcase Presents books. So, I'd go with that, complete with weird Thanagarian culture quirks (married Thanagarian women wear earrings like married Earth women wear a ring on their finger) and the talking to birds (WHEET! WHEET!). I tried to read the Geoff Johns reincarnated Egyptian version and something about it just felt off to me.

But . . .

Venditti made it work (at least from what I've read so far). He managed to sand off some of the rough edges that other writers couldn't get rid of. So, if I can't have the Pre-Crisis Thanagarian cop version, I'll take Venditti's version.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    I prefer Thanagarian because the first time I was able to get into the Hawks was when I was reading the Silver Age version in the Showcase Presents books. So, I'd go with that, complete with weird Thanagarian culture quirks (married Thanagarian women wear earrings like married Earth women wear a ring on their finger) and the talking to birds (WHEET! WHEET!). I tried to read the Geoff Johns reincarnated Egyptian version and something about it just felt off to me.

But . . .

Venditti made it work (at least from what I've read so far). He managed to sand off some of the rough edges that other writers couldn't get rid of. So, if I can't have the Pre-Crisis Thanagarian cop version, I'll take Venditti's version.
    I managed to get my hands on 'Shadow War of Hawkman', 'Hawk World 1 & 2', 'The Legend of Hawkman', all of which featured the alien Hawks. All of this started thanks to the JLU version of Hawkgirl. There is a lot of interesting lore surrounding the Thanagarian Hawks.