View Poll Results: Hawkman: more Thanagarian or more Egyptian?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • more Thanagarian

55 60.44%
  • more Egyptian

36 39.56%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I voted Thanagarian.

Egyptian is cool, but without the Thanagarian Hawkman, the Rann/Thanagar dynamics loses a lot of its urgency.

And DC needs more recognizable heroes that are space-based.
    For that eventual Guardians of the Galaxy type team that I keep hoping will happen.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Like others, I thought Geoff Johns NAILED the hawk lore. It was a pretty much perfect compromise that made a once toxic character readable again.
    So of course DC fucked it up.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post

And DC needs more recognizable heroes that are space-based.
    For that eventual Guardians of the Galaxy type team that I keep hoping will happen.
    Its not event that we need GotG type team, but in general these days it feels like if something is space related in DC then its going to heavily feature Green Lanterns and that kinda limits what stories can be told. Even Strange's current mini doesn't feel "cosmic", but something that could have happened in Africa. And I get that this is by design, but it once again makes cosmic side of DC smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Like others, I thought Geoff Johns NAILED the hawk lore. It was a pretty much perfect compromise that made a once toxic character readable again.
    So of course DC fucked it up.
    Yeah I feel like right when DC cleared up Hawkman, The Legion and even Superman (all Johns) they decided to torpedo all of it.

Hawkworld is pretty much the only version of Hawkman to ever really draw me in much. So I'll go with that.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

[QUOTE=Thirteen;5095229]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post

Until Hawkman was proven right. The stalker angle was a fakeout playing upon the sensibilities of the day.
    It was the most unusual of circumstances, but what he was saying was true.
    Not really. In the episode with the flashback to ancient Egypt, Hawkgirl mentions that the Absorbascon is used to store information and memories and Carter could very well just be a normal guy who got his mind fucked. There is a difference of opinion on that. In the commentary for the episode, Timm says that he thinks that Carter was correct about them being reincarnations but Dwayne said he wrote the bit about the Absorbascon since he is not a fan of reincarnation. Either interpretation works.

JLU Hawkman worked for me since he realized that he was being a creepy stalker and after confronting his darker self in the form of Shadow Thief realizes that he can't force 'destiny' on Shayera so he lets it go. In the comics, Carter and Kendra play the whole merry go round of 'will they/won't they/destiny commands us' bit for the entire duration of that Hawkman's ongoing until Kendra was unceremoniously killed off in Blackest Night. Plus, in the cartoons Shayera was a grown up woman who had been with a few partners already before Carter started flirting with her. The comic book Carter was chasing after a 19-something Kendra Saunders who could barely make up her mind on what she wanted and had this weird identity crisis what with her soul being Shiera's but the memories being Kendras.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    While I like a lot of these ideas, my suggestions to this would be:

-Carter being either the real reincarnation of an ancient Thanagarian who landed in ancient Egypt or just an archaeologist whose mind and body was messed with through the Absorbascon is a strong enough layer of ambiguity that it could generate multiple stories surrounding free will vs destiny.

-Kendra and Shayera are both distinct enough that I think you can have them be Hawkgirl and Hawkwoman respectively.
    I like your idea of throwing "reincarnated ancient Thanagarian" into the mix.

About the Kendra and Shayera thing - its interesting but I'm a bit vary of treating them as distinct entities while Carter/Katar are the same. Funnily enough, this has happened twice in the comics that I know of. First, Carter and Katar were merged into the Hawk God entity, while Shiera reincarnated into Kendra and Shayera survived on her own. And I think even in current continuity Kendra and Shayera are separate entities while Carter has been revealed as a reincarnation of Katar (or is it the other way round?)

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Its not event that we need GotG type team, but in general these days it feels like if something is space related in DC then its going to heavily feature Green Lanterns and that kinda limits what stories can be told. Even Strange's current mini doesn't feel "cosmic", but something that could have happened in Africa. And I get that this is by design, but it once again makes cosmic side of DC smaller.
    I agree.
    The time during Rann/Thanagar War (the first one), I really felt excited for DC's cosmic side.
    They were finally pulling together Rann, Thanagar and Tamaran and making a stronger presence for them in the DC Universe.

The last time I felt that excited about DC's cosmic stuff was with Cosmic Odyssey.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Venditti married the two concepts about as elegantly as can be done and it's good with me, but I prefer Carter to Katar. More unique, and DC's top cop will always be Green Lantern, so I prefer the reincarnation angle a bit more.

But much as the Hawks fly best together, so do the eras of Hawks. Embrace it.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

I don't know what they did to this series... but what I really want is All of it to be true.

Either A: The thanagarian adventures happened in the distant past or the distant future and the Egyptian things happened as well. Whats it matter when we're talking about immortals via reincarnation till the end of time?

Seems like "HYBRID" needs to be an option for a far outsiders look.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

The perfect solution for me would be to have the Egyptian thing happen in ancient times, setting up the reincarnation.
    Have Carter Hall be a reincarnation during the Golden Age, with Hawkman as a member of the JSA.
    Then have Katar Hol, a Thanagarian, be the modern reincarnation that doesn't discover this until he visits Earth and becomes a member of the Justice League.

Boisterously Confused

I've gone from being surprised by the poll to flabbergasted. I'm a Thanagarian fan, but it's been so long since we've had one of those, I didn't think the space cops had a chance.

Johns has the best take that could have allowed all the characters to exist and would provide some great Time’s Past storylines in the ancient DCU.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Johns has the best take that could have allowed all the characters to exist and would provide some great Time’s Past storylines in the ancient DCU.
    I didn't pick it up ... and now its cancelled. What was his take?
    I might go back and grab them all
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Thanagarian.

Definitely Thanagarian.
    Pull List: Currently Empty