View Poll Results: Hawkman: more Thanagarian or more Egyptian?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • more Thanagarian

55 60.44%
  • more Egyptian

36 39.56%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Well, I finally decide to got with Silver Age Hawks, but I'd still prefer the JSA and it's members to be on Earth 2 so we could have both sets of Hawks. Kendra is okay, but I never really liked that we got her as the cost of Shiera.

Without a doubt, Thanagarian.
    WHO DAT?!!

The thing that's cool about the Hawks to me is that they're a combination.

BUT, since I have to choose for this poll, I chose Egyptian. For me, I do prefer that they be earthlings and the resurrection stuff is interesting (as long as they don't overdo it). I ultimately prefer that to them being Thanagarian police officers. I like that the Egyptian origin includes Thanagar, but if I had to take out one thing, the alien connection can go without changing what I like about them.

From their golden age roots/stories to the way they look and the weapons they use, they feel more at home being from earth and connected to the ancient, rather than connected to the stars.

I do like the "Savage" and "Immortal" aspects of Hawkman, but I find his ties with Thanagar more interesting than the ones he has with Egypt.

Peace

Spectacular Member

I’m working on my own DC alternate universe. In it, I want Carter and Shiera Hall as Thanagariand, operating as Hawkman and Hawkwoman. Additionally, they’re uncle and aunt to Kendra Saunders, who became Hawkgirl but without being a reincarnation of Shayera Hol.

How would I do it? How long is a Thanagarian’s lifespan?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    The perfect solution for me would be to have the Egyptian thing happen in ancient times, setting up the reincarnation.
    Have Carter Hall be a reincarnation during the Golden Age, with Hawkman as a member of the JSA.
    Then have Katar Hol, a Thanagarian, be the modern reincarnation that doesn't discover this until he visits Earth and becomes a member of the Justice League.
    Isn't that effectively what we have now? Though admittedly, I haven't read Venditti's run past issue 12 so I'm not sure.

The way I see it, Golden Age Carter Hall was one reincarnation who was around during the 40's and 50's and part of the JSA. At some point, he dies and the Thanagarian Katar Hol version is his reincarnation and serves as a member of the JLA. Then he dies, and the current Carter is the latest incarnation. Of course, there might be other incarnations in between. The rules established by Venditti allows the timelines of multiple incarnations to overlap.

Mighty Member

I'm happy with a combination of both, but I prefer the current series take.

I prefer my Hawks either medium rare or well done.

Spectacular Member

Hello, perhaps you can help me with something. For my fanfic universe, I wanna have Carter and Shiera Hall as Thanagarian Hawkman and Hawkwoman. However, I also wanna bring Kendra Saunders as Hawkgirl into the mix, but without having her be Shiera reincarnated. How would I go about this!

Quote Originally Posted by OptimusPrime114 View Post
    Hello, perhaps you can help me with something. For my fanfic universe, I wanna have Carter and Shiera Hall as Thanagarian Hawkman and Hawkwoman. However, I also wanna bring Kendra Saunders as Hawkgirl into the mix, but without having her be Shiera reincarnated. How would I go about this!
    The DC Continuity Project (fan run website that compiles and streamlines DC characters' stories) has a version of Kendra that is separate from Carter and Shiera. http://dccontinuityproject.weebly.com/hawkgirl.html
    Last edited by Kingdom X; 08-23-2020 at 05:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    I do like the "Savage" and "Immortal" aspects of Hawkman, but I find his ties with Thanagar more interesting than the ones he has with Egypt.

Peace
    Amen to that, Nomads1.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by OptimusPrime114 View Post
    You could actually go with the New 52 Earth 2 origin for Kendra...she's an archeologist who stumbles upon something in an Egyptian tomb that gives her wings and other powers. Make her origins completely mystical and divorced from the Thanagarian stuff. She's inspired by the original Hawkgirl to take the name.

If I recall correctly, in the comics Kendra was originally just another legacy character. The idea of her being Shiera's reincarnation came in later.

Started reading about those folks with Gardner Fox and loved it so Thanagarian all the way for me.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

[QUOTE=John Venus;5096476]
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post

Not really. In the episode with the flashback to ancient Egypt, Hawkgirl mentions that the Absorbascon is used to store information and memories and Carter could very well just be a normal guy who got his mind fucked. There is a difference of opinion on that. In the commentary for the episode, Timm says that he thinks that Carter was correct about them being reincarnations but Dwayne said he wrote the bit about the Absorbascon since he is not a fan of reincarnation. Either interpretation works.

JLU Hawkman worked for me since he realized that he was being a creepy stalker and after confronting his darker self in the form of Shadow Thief realizes that he can't force 'destiny' on Shayera so he lets it go. In the comics, Carter and Kendra play the whole merry go round of 'will they/won't they/destiny commands us' bit for the entire duration of that Hawkman's ongoing until Kendra was unceremoniously killed off in Blackest Night. Plus, in the cartoons Shayera was a grown up woman who had been with a few partners already before Carter started flirting with her. The comic book Carter was chasing after a 19-something Kendra Saunders who could barely make up her mind on what she wanted and had this weird identity crisis what with her soul being Shiera's but the memories being Kendras.
    Y'know even as a person who isn't in love with hawkman that was some of the worst character assassination ever...

If she met the real hawkman and fawned and fawned over him then got schooled as how a real thanagarian should be heroically in battle and then summarily rejected by him as an imposter/pretender, and have her sulk and obsess both romantically and for approval it would be the equivalent. The type of thing that I'd imagine would make a hawkfan vomit in their mouth a little bit when they saw it. Super unfun and unfair really.

Again I'm not big hawkman fan or anything but character integrity should be preserved and that was pretty much Didido on roy harper levels of crap they shat on hawkman.

I'm sure for somone coming into the dc through the cartoons he's always going to looked at with a side eye for the worst character decisions by a writer in his whole history
    Last edited by Midnight_v; 08-23-2020 at 12:55 AM.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Voted Thanagarian because JLU Shayera is Best Hawk.