Page 10 of 59 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Layoffs at DC?

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    I hope you guys enjoy the future of just Batman Comics
    Does this mean shared universe thing is dead? Good riddance if you ask me. I am just fatigued by the nonsense in general.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    Are we talking relatively speaking? Because pre-Crisis a book selling just below 100K (say 80,000-90,000) was considered to be teetering on the edge of cancellation. Nowadays those numbers would be a cause for immense celebration.
    Right. If DC (and Marvel) only had those numbers now. Of course, it was a different type of business then.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

No I just mean because of all the editorial layoffs its going to be hard for DC to produce anything but that mind you and even that's going to be a tough task currently. There is no comparison to this either when Marvel got bought everything more or less stayed the same.

DC is undergoing a corporate realignment the like we thought marvel would go through but never had happen

Extraordinary Member

Wonder if the bit at WB will affect that Flash movie almost no one outside of WB and DC wanted? And other planned DC movies? And will they cut budgets on their various TV productions?

Censorship Sucks

1. Hopefully, at some point, Superman comics will get a new writer from this.
    2. Hopefully, Three Jokers continues to be released. It will be annoying if this is cut after waiting so long.
    3. I think they are lucky Batman sells so well. Although it is better than King's stories, Joker War is a lot like City of Bane. I feel like most story lines just repeat themselves now-a-days.
    4. I support the lay-offs if it brings new life into DC Comics, although I still feel for the families impacted by the lay-offs. I hate to see anyone lose a job, regardless of their performance.

I think it is rather funny how for years lots of people have been wishing that guys like Didio and Harras were fired and when it actually happened we got sky is falling reactions. Maybe we'll get some "miss me?" memes with Didio's face out of this? Also, just because editors behind Black Label or YA line got fired doesn't mean that the lines itself are axed.

Only real problem I have with this is Jim Lee, supposedly, getting promoted. To me he doesn't really look like a guy who should be overseeing entire DC-related output, more Wildstorm incoming?

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar
    Assassinate Putin!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    With so many staff leaving the company, around a third it is estimated, the continual production of comic books is likely to take a hit, but the graphic novel line, which has become more valuable to DC, is so far in advance of production, that no one would notice until well into 2021.

Because we also hear about what is described as a Two-Year Plan for DC Comics which will see DC Comics move to mass-market production through Walmart, the licensing of titles with editors moving to brand managers/approval roles, alongside a move from DC to digital serialisation and original graphic novels. Content will still be provided to the direct market but it will no longer be the priority that it (still) is at DC Comics.
    blechhhhh.

I hope the licensing rumors aren't true. DC comics could lose even more of their bite if they're created by another company only to be approved by DC's editors.
    We could be in for some pretty generic stuff.

I also wonder why Lee is still around when so many others got fired. Surely he's a big factor in the current state of DC. If they're cleaning house, one would imagine he'd be one of the first guys to go.

I'm trying to stay positive and see this as a much needed move to digital, OGNs and new formats while keeping some version of the periodicals. Plus a chance to attract new audiences to truly revitalize the medium. But I don't think I trust WB to do that.

I also wondered about Lee. The guy must have some serious connections.
    “Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving.”
    – Dale Carnegie

don't know how to respond to this. deepest empathy to those who lost jobs. i hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Mature comics seem to be getting the axe
    All age books looks like the future
    I hope not entirely - I've always wanted both demographics served in comics. I want both mature stories like Harleen and family friendly fare like Superman Smashes the Klan.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    I also wondered about Lee. The guy must have some serious connections.
    I'd guess that he also probably is paid lots of money so you'd think that if they wanted to save money he'd be on the cut list.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I think it is rather funny how for years lots of people have been wishing that guys like Didio and Harras were fired and when it actually happened we got sky is falling reactions. Maybe we'll get some "miss me?" memes with Didio's face out of this? Also, just because editors behind Black Label or YA line got fired doesn't mean that the lines itself are axed.

Only real problem I have with this is Jim Lee, supposedly, getting promoted. To me he doesn't really look like a guy who should be overseeing entire DC-related output, more Wildstorm incoming?
    Yep. People love change in the theory; not so much in practice. This is especially in cases like this where you have a creative business, and the change is done without any vision or communication on how the creative side will be impacted. Basically, we will have to guess how the new editors and publishers will steer DC when they settle into their new positions.

Also, Michele Wells was one of the leading persons in actually managing the YA lines, and as far as I can tell has done a bang-up job in getting solid works that are different from DC's usual fare out on time. Given that she seems to be one of DC's future publishers (or editors in chief), I doubt the lines will be axed. Maybe the labels will be changed or they will be made in less of office silos than today, but I expect that the non-periodicals and non-direct market books will gain in influence and prominence within DC.

As for Jim Lee, my read is that he is promoted out of the day-to-day running of DC.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I'd guess that he also probably is paid lots of money so you'd think that if they wanted to save money he'd be on the cut list.
    He knows the business from the artists perspective (not a fan of his designs or Wildstorm) and would be replaced with someone worse as in Mr Business Suit? Just a guess. Lee is smart and seems like a decent guy why fire him? Because money?