Page 5 of 59 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: Layoffs at DC?

Extraordinary Member

I feel like DC really would be much better off being stripped down to core group of titles that can sustain large volumes of the world and can feed off of each other into crossovers and then everything else that isn’t fully baked should just be a graphic novel.

So like you have the Bat books, the Superman books, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, JLA, Aquaman, and maybe Titans. Keep it at like a manageable 25 titles. So if you’re a total DC junkie you can follow the bulk of the universe for 100 bucks a month if you care to and it’s easy to get crossovers over off the ground.

But if some writer has a Booster Gold idea and they can’t heavily pitch it as something that can sustain 10 years and will function well in crossovers and be cohesive with everyone else.... make it a graphic novel that’s special and focused.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    One would hope that AT&T are smart and keep ongoings if not for the fans but for future storylines they can mine for movies, tv, and video games.
    On a side-, and possibly related, note, there have been rumors for some time that WB was looking to sell its video game development studios (Rocksteady, NRS, Monolith, TT Games being the big ones). But that rumor was just recently squelched just last week. I wonder if AT&T/WB were toying around w/ projections of assets selling/layoffs for some time and at the 11th hour decided to keep video games and nix the comics budget.
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song

So I guess monthly floppies at DC are on the way out soon. Only a matter of time until the only way to get DC comics in print form will be through their website in trade form. I’m excited to see if they’ll introduce a new, more diverse (both in race/gender and characters that get titles) DCU through a service (DCU app? HBOMax?). Guess time will tell, but digital is the way to go, especially if they want to grow internationally

omg does this mean we not get get the ex machina compendium vol 2??

Can't say I am surprised, but still sad when people lose their job. If Doyle is out that is a big loss as I think he has done a good job there.

But DC has a lot of stuff that doesn't sell great. I can see why a new person coming in would look at it and think a lot needs to be cut. We've felt like DC has been trending towards cutting their monthly floppies and focusing more on original GNs and digital for a while. Though it sucks that this probably means more Batman, Joker and Harley Quinn stories as they are the only things that sell anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Can't say I am surprised, but still sad when people lose their job. If Doyle is out that is a big loss as I think he has done a good job there.

But DC has a lot of stuff that doesn't sell great. I can see why a new person coming in would look at it and think a lot needs to be cut. We've felt like DC has been trending towards cutting their monthly floppies and focusing more on original GNs and digital for a while. Though it sucks that this probably means more Batman, Joker and Harley Quinn stories as they are the only things that sell anymore...
    Fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    I guess Taylor would know given he works with the comics side, but he also does digital series too, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post

There's still Superman and Justice League stuff for sure.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Waterfall View Post
    Let’s be honest, we knew this day was coming the moment DC broke the deal with Diamond.

Sorry for those losing their jobs.
    Oh yes we knew this day was coming.

Batman selling could only block the iceberg from the Titanic for so long.
    Keeping bad employees (personality, behavior or skill wise) could only block the iceberg.
    Even if AT&T didn't buy into Warner. This was COMING.

do you know what this means? not "there won't be any more statues/toys" but rather "that's one less thing that we have to ship ourselves to the comic shops"
    Yeah they are going to be at Wal-Mart, Target or Barnes & Nobles.

Maybe they'll actually look into bringing in New talent to write?
    Won't do any good unless WE THE FANS give them a legit shot. Not write them off as diversity SJW hires.

Won't do any good if WE CONTINUE TO HATE BUY books that we have screamed as being bad. I can't cry about (blank) writing 10 books if I buy all 10 books despite how bad they are. We might like Nightwing or Static or Cassandra Cain but we have to LET IT GO.

Only a matter of time until the only way to get DC comics in print form will be through their website in trade form.
    You can sell trades in stores. Since DC has a deal with Wal-Mart why not put them there? There are books stores out there.

But if some writer has a Booster Gold idea and they can’t heavily pitch it as something that can sustain 10 years and will function well in crossovers and be cohesive with everyone else.... make it a graphic novel that’s special and focused.
    You don't need a 10 year plan for Booster Gold. Just do a OGN and be done with it. Seeing that the direct market and store owners have issues with certain demographics and genre-you restrict them to OGN ONLY.

Find a reasonable page count for a $10-12 OGN and do say 4 a month (one comes out every week). 48 books a year.

Unless you want to go Archie Digest route and YES those do have new stories in them.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

I feel for Harras and others. But as Taylor claims this isn't the end of DC Comics. They need the comics to create future media and more as we know. (like literal scripts for movies , games etc).

I said it a few years ago...DC needs to go and bring back Karen Berger and hand her the EIC role of DC Comics. With her connections to writing talent and ability to get good stories (she made Vertigo work for years) she can do this. But I kinda doubt Warner Media knows who she is or what to do next.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak View Post
    On a side-, and possibly related, note, there have been rumors for some time that WB was looking to sell its video game development studios (Rocksteady, NRS, Monolith, TT Games being the big ones). But that rumor was just recently squelched just last week. I wonder if AT&T/WB were toying around w/ projections of assets selling/layoffs for some time and at the 11th hour decided to keep video games and nix the comics budget.
    I remember, it would have been a big mistake; but it does seem AT&T is pivoting DC away from comics as we know them into something else.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

-M
    As cold as that wounds-TRUE.

How many have bought a book that they HATED to just whine about here? Or Twitter? Or Youtube?

While books like Wonder Twins or Far Sector got ignored?

But DC has a lot of stuff that doesn't sell great.
    As floppies yeah however some do find audiences as trades.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Oh yes we knew this day was coming.

Batman selling could only block the iceberg from the Titanic for so long.
    Keeping bad employees (personality, behavior or skill wise) could only block the iceberg.
    Even if AT&T didn't buy into Warner. This was COMING.

Yeah they are going to be at Wal-Mart, Target or Barnes & Nobles.

Won't do any good unless WE THE FANS give them a legit shot. Not write them off as diversity SJW hires.

Won't do any good if WE CONTINUE TO HATE BUY books that we have screamed as being bad. I can't cry about (blank) writing 10 books if I buy all 10 books despite how bad they are. We might like Nightwing or Static or Cassandra Cain but we have to LET IT GO.

You can sell trades in stores. Since DC has a deal with Wal-Mart why not put them there? There are books stores out there.

You don't need a 10 year plan for Booster Gold. Just do a OGN and be done with it. Seeing that the direct market and store owners have issues with certain demographics and genre-you restrict them to OGN ONLY.

Find a reasonable page count for a $10-12 OGN and do say 4 a month (one comes out every week). 48 books a year.

Unless you want to go Archie Digest route and YES those do have new stories in them.
    That’s exactly what I mean though. A comic should not be a monthly unless you can actually justify that it can be sustain itself over a long period of time and fit seamlessly with everything else. If not, then just do a graphic novel that can be one concise story that is isolated and can be managed and read all at once and keep it focused without having to deal with monthly restraints. If it’s good and you have a follow up idea, then write a sequel graphic novel.

My point is there shouldn’t just be an ongoing Booster Gold book because one writer had a half decent idea that might work for a year before he gets bored. There’s way too many books like that. Just there to be there

Guy who headed up DC’s YA line is out: https://twitter.com/choffercbus/stat...253161986?s=21

Christ wtf are they doing? Just cutting everyone who makes a salary over a certain amount it looks like. DC is going to be crippled by this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Guy who headed up DC’s YA line is out: https://twitter.com/choffercbus/stat...253161986?s=21

Christ wtf are they doing? Just cutting everyone who makes a salary over a certain amount it looks like. DC is going to be crippled by this.
    Wow. The YA line has seemingly been really successful. This is crazy.