Page 31 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Thread: Layoffs at DC?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Why wouldn't the OGN have any place for them? It's not like DC only gave those to minorities.
    I've already said why I think this.

OGNs are independent stories directed mainly to a new audience.

Much of the popularity of characters like Tim, Cassie and Bart stems from their past stories, but this is not going to apply here. Not to mentions that there are previous generation of sideckick that could be used in a similar role for OGNs.

For example: Robin is iconic, but it is more likely DC will use a younger Dick Grayson than Tim Drake in a OGN. OGN can even adapt the characters' past if they want to put Dick in a story where Tim "fits" more.

That's why I mentioned minorities, because characters that are a minority offer a representation than past characters didn't.

PS: Do you notice how I don't mentioned Conner? It is because the concept of Superman clone is still pretty unique and I think he could be used for OGNs.
    Last edited by Konja7; 08-13-2020 at 05:23 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    I've already said why I think this.

OGNs are independent stories directed mainly to a new audience.

Much of the popularity of characters like Tim, Cassie and Bart stems from their past stories, but this is not going to apply here. Not to mentions that there are previous generation of sidekicks that could be used in a similar role for OGNs.

For example: Robin is iconic, but it is more likely DC will use a younger Dick Grayson than Tim Drake in a OGN. OGN can even adapt the characters' past if they want to put Dick in a story where Tim "fits" more.

That's why I mentioned minorities, because characters that are a minority offer a representation than past characters didn't.

PS: Do you notice how I don't mentioned Conner? It is because the concept of Superman clone is still pretty unique and I think he could be used for OGNs.
    I think Cassandra Sandsmark would the choice for Wonder Girl because of her simpler backstory than Donna (poor, poor Donna). I could easily see Donna entering comic book limbo.

Bart is just another Kid Flash and Tim is Third Robin. Yeah, I see them joining Donna and others on a shelf in limbo.
    Last edited by scary harpy; 08-13-2020 at 05:50 AM.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    If they re-imagined Batman in a way that alienates the fans, it would probably not just "hurt their bottom line" it would put them out of business.

And the idea behind re-imagined something (out side of elseworlds, where they actually did stuff similar to that) is usually to update it and make in more popular/popular again, Batman is still the best selling superhero so why mess with it?
    I think the idea is that if Batman sold a little less, then other characters would rise (though I suspect it wouldn't work out that way ).
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I think the idea is that if Batman sold a little less, then other characters would rise (though I suspect it wouldn't work out that way ).
    I think it would more the other way around, if you alienate the Batman fans they might also stop buying other stuff or at least the Batman/Batfamily related stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah that wasn’t the best choice. Here’s a better one: What happens to a character like Mr. Terrific who is getting a fantastic showing over in Strange Adventures, but might not ever make the leap to the big screen? The Arrowverse did a version of him I know, not sure just how well received that was though. Where is Holt going to go if they’re cutting the line down to the Leaguers and (maybe) the Titans?
    He was younger than in the comics, and had a different first name (why was he called Curtis instead of Michael anyway?) - at least the costume was comic accurate.

As for where Mr Terrific would go... well that depends if they're still using JSA. That's where he originally came from.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

I agree. The key is to get contented Batman fans to buy other non-Bats titles or find new readers instead, not annoy consumers of the most popular DC character.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    As for where Mr Terrific would go... well that depends if they're still using JSA. That's where he originally came from.
    He seems to me like one of the easiest characters to find something where he could go, he is a JSA character but has also been used as JLA Member in animation, a connection with Green Arrow from the Arrowverse, he is street level enough that you could put him in something Batman related and he could be the tech guy on almost every book.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    It's more like if they would put as much effort into other characters that they do Batman, those other characters might have a better shot. Flash has his own TV show and Batman is still more popular than he is. Wonder Woman has a movie coming out and somehow Batman is still more popular than she is. Batman has neither of those things at the moment. Is this by design or simply lack of promotion?
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Is this by design or simply lack of promotion?
    Both. That would be my guess. They can't make a decent Superman movie but have several live action Superman TV shows (and various shows from the Superman family) that were and/or still popular that show how to make this character work for movies and they have/had Brandon Routh on call who should and could be the true heir to the late great Christopher Reeve. They can't figure out to make Superman relevant tor cool to a new generation without breaking what makes always made Superman relevant and cool to each previous generation.

But Batman is easy to figure out and yet they can't seem to make a live action Batman where he's not acting like cruel arrogant jackass with no sense of humor or a borderline fascist no better than the villains he fights.
    Last edited by Cyberstrike; 08-13-2020 at 07:25 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Batman popularity comes a long history of popular comics, movies and TV series, thats nothing you can replicate that easily.

And honestly there is just not enough money in comics that DC Comics would actually be able to promote anything outside of their reader base.
    For a bigger each they are pretty much dependent on the TV shows and movies, and I don't think that DC Comics has much control over what happens there.

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    This is a lot worse than it seems apparently: https://twitter.com/asher_elbein/sta...54315770994697

Bob Harras is apparently gone; so are editors Mark Doyle, Brian Cunningham and Andy Khouri

Jim Lee is still at the company, but no longer publisher.

DC Collectibles is no more.
    "To change the results we are obtaining, we need to change ourselves." the manager of the Yamaha MotoGP division when he fired all the directors of the technical staff. I'm only astound about how late this decision has came.

BANNED

I want newer fans. But adhering to long continuity (whatever is left of it) won't work. Also certain characters are gonna need a new personality.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    He was younger than in the comics, and had a different first name (why was he called Curtis instead of Michael anyway?) - at least the costume was comic accurate.

They are probably not still using the JSA.

JSA does not sell merchandise.

We need to stop thinking 'comic books' and start thinking 'coloring books'...and Underoos and and t-shirts and toys and etcetera.

We know and love the JSA because we know and love comics. Most people do not know who the JSA are. (Unless you mean Stargirl's JSA; then, some know about that.)

Mister Terrific will probably go to the JLA...if he does not go to comic-book limbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah that wasn’t the best choice. Here’s a better one: What happens to a character like Mr. Terrific who is getting a fantastic showing over in Strange Adventures, but might not ever make the leap to the big screen? The Arrowverse did a version of him I know, not sure just how well received that was though. Where is Holt going to go if they’re cutting the line down to the Leaguers and (maybe) the Titans?
    He was not popular.
    Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    But this means that it will become increasingly impossible to get gambles like the ones we had in the past. Gambles like Watchmen, or Tom King's Mister Miracle, or Morrison's Seven Soldiers, or Ellis' Planetary, or Doom Patrol in any of its recent versions. I mean, what I really fear is that future DC books will be "safe bets" like Venditti's Man of Tomorrow (which, as far as I am concerned, is abysmal)
    I guess Man of Tomorrow is the kind of "all ages" take on a DC property that some are expecting is being brought to the table.
    If you check most DC and Marvel titles (but some Image comic books too) and you compare them to older comic books, you'll see that the focus on adaptations has been influencing the way these books are written and drawn for a very long time. I mean, how many books have you read in recent times that really try to explore the possibilities of comics as a medium? Most series today look like storyboards for a forthcoming TV series. In many details - the way the characters speak, how they act, even the costumes, which have become more and more realistic or even absent in some cases. I guess that these are just aspects of a broader problem which can't be really solved, but it was somehow comforting that, in general, there were some alternatives like Mister Miracle, made in a specific way which can exist ONLY in a comic book. But I don't see anything like it happening in the future.
    I mean, the way comic panels are arranged in general are fairly reflective of the storyboarding process in my opinion. I don't think it's necessarily trying to be reflective of television but showing how the depiction of people talking and acting has changed over the years in terms of comics.

BANNED

JSA can just be promoted with the JL brand. They already have their own Flash, GL, and can insert Wonder Woman in.

They probably want to move away from many legacy characters that clutter the brand to keep it simple, like most post crisis characters being sent to limbo. Stargirl will be safe anyway.