Page 1 of 59 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: Layoffs at DC?

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Layoffs at DC?

Just saw this posted at BC. Warners is cutting a lot of divisions. And DC is one of them:

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/dc-c...niverse-first/
    Assassinate Putin!

Yeah, I guess it is a sign of the times.

Ultimate Member

And folks already celebrating.

On Twitter and Youtube. With the usual folks being blamed-POC, SJW and women.
    Last edited by skyvolt2000; 08-10-2020 at 02:05 PM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I wonder if this will have any effect on the FanDome event.
    Assassinate Putin!

Sooo...not good? I'm not a business guy but this is sounding not good.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Sooo...not good? I'm not a business guy but this is sounding not good.
    And of course a certain group is celebrating it.

Along with this-

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/dc-c...mments-section

The Warner Bros. Motion Pictures Group continues to be led by Chairman Toby Emmerich. Warner Bros. Television Studios group continues to be led by Chairman Peter Roth. Warner Bros. Interactive remains part of the Studios and Networks group, along with our Global Brands and Franchises team including DC led by Pam Lifford, and our Kids, Young Adults and Classics business led by Tom Ascheim, all focused on engaging fans with our brands and franchises through games and other interactive experiences.
    That does not say book division is going away.

And how many staffers under contract do they have? It can't be that huge compared to other divisions.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Man, condolences to the poor people out of work by this. Not cool at all.

Given a company the size of Warner Bros, 650 staffers is less than 10% of the workforce, and it seems they are focusing more on reducing redundant functions in all their various recording studios and streaming networks, if I read the corporate speak correctly. If there is impact on the DC side it is first on DC Universe (no surprise there) and then possibly on the merchandising side. DC publishing might be impacted as well, but we'll have to see, and if it is, I guess it's more of the "eliminate 5% of the workforce" rather than any targeted reorganisation or upheaval. Ghu knows that DC publishing has suffered enough of that over the last few years (not that I think it has helped to improve its publishing quality, but I digress).
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Given a company the size of Warner Bros, 650 staffers is less than 10% of the workforce, and it seems they are focusing more on reducing redundant functions in all their various recording studios and streaming networks, if I read the corporate speak correctly. If there is impact on the DC side it is first on DC Universe (no surprise there) and then possibly on the merchandising side. DC publishing might be impacted as well, but we'll have to see, and if it is, I guess it's more of the "eliminate 5% of the workforce" rather than any targeted reorganisation or upheaval. Ghu knows that DC publishing has suffered enough of that over the last few years (not that I think it has helped to improve its publishing quality, but I digress).
    Which is what most companies that merge do. However some do try to place folks in other jobs by letting them apply for those openings (if any).

Also I wouldn't be shocked if some of those jobs were openings that were never filled. Some companies will say that and others won't.

Wonder if Harras is finally gonna be out.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Wonder if Harras is finally gonna be out.
    EDIT: Nevermind.
    Last edited by DragonPiece; 08-10-2020 at 03:50 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    And folks already celebrating.

On Twitter and Youtube. With the usual folks being blamed-POC, SJW and women.
    Water is wet, idiots gonna be idiots and look for scapegoats who suit their agenda. The decline of DC comics is caused by an overabundance of edge and other factors.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

This is a lot worse than it seems apparently: https://twitter.com/asher_elbein/sta...54315770994697

Bob Harras is apparently gone; so are editors Mark Doyle, Brian Cunningham and Andy Khouri

Jim Lee is still at the company, but no longer publisher.

DC Collectibles is no more.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    This is a lot worse than it seems apparently: https://twitter.com/asher_elbein/sta...54315770994697

Bob Harras is apparently gone; so are editors Mark Doyle, Brian Cunningham and Andy Khouri

Jim Lee is still at the company, but no longer publisher.

DC Collectibles is no more.
    Seems like the writing staff is mostly intact(excluding the editors)or do we not know about their status yet?

Astonishing Member

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/dc-c...-on-right-now/

We have heard mention from various sources, of various reliability, that Vice President, Global Publishing Initiatives & Digital Strategy Bobbie Chase. DC Editor Andy Khouri, DC Senior Story Editor Brian Cunningham, SVP Publishing Strategy & Support Services at DC, Hank Kanalz and DC Editor-In-Chief Bob Harras are also rumoured to be laid off.