Page 4 of 59 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: Layoffs at DC?

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I want to know what we think this might mean for the comics. Ongoings, minis, one shots, OGNs, Black Label, etc. The whole kit and caboodle. Is this the end of monthly floppies? Is Black Label gone? Is everything going to go to the book market route like their kids stuff? Is everything going to be ok and this means no change to what we see here in the books?
    It's looking like a massive line reduction and a bigger push for digital. Might even be connected to HBO Max, who knows.

Extraordinary Member

THR: DC Comics, DC Universe Hit By Major Layoffs
    Among those said to be losing their positions are editor-in-chief Bob Harris, senior VP of publishing strategy and support services Hank Kanalz, VP of marketing and creative services Jonah Weiland, VP global publishing initiatives and digital strategy Bobbie Chase, senior story editor Brian Cunningham, and executive editor Mark Doyle, who oversaw the rollout of the Black Label graphic novels. Jim Lee remains the CCO.

Roughly one third of DC's editorial ranks are being laid off, according to sources.

Insiders also say the majority of the staff of the streaming service DC Universe has been laid off, a move that had been widely expected as WarnerMedia shifts its focus to new streaming service HBO Max.

Quote Originally Posted by Twice-named View Post
    “But I am told that these layoffs will have an immediate effect on the publication of DC Comics monthly titles, and I am to expect a rapid reduction of titles. If you thought DC Comics published an unhealthy percentage of Batman books, you ain't seen nothing yet. The Batbooks, most of the Justice League books and some of the Superman books will stay safe, as will the digital line, the original graphic novel line. But a lot of comics will have to disappear as there simply aren't enough people to work on them. Scott Snyder will be very grateful for Marie Javins' elevated role…“

Not excited by the prospect of more Batman books.
    Technically as I read it there won't be more Batman books, just a lot of the non-Batman stuff is getting cut. Not better, but more accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    With Corona, it's safer and easier to buy digital and it can reach internationally, so Global Publishing and Digital Strategy being promoted make sense.
    Then with the titles, the safest ones are the big names, money makers. Meaning Batman.
    So those two things sound about right

The interesting part is laying off Black Label people and promoting Children/YA boss. I don't know the OGN sales on those Labels but that seems to show where their priority lies from now on. Less adult niche, more general audience?
    I was just reading an article about WB's new CEO, and he wants to push for the global market.
    In the article, he stated that right now WB makes one-third of its profits from outside the US, and that he want's to change it to where 70% of the profits come from outside the US.
    He's not going to get that with DC Comics focusing on physical product. Digital is more accessible globally.
    So I think we'll be seeing a lot more digital.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

With Corona, it's safer and easier to buy digital and it can reach internationally, so Global Publishing and Digital Strategy being promoted make sense.
    Then with the titles, the safest ones are the big names, money makers. Meaning Batman.

The interesting part is laying off Black Label people and promoting Children/YA boss. I don't know the OGN sales on those Labels but that seems to show where their priority lies from now on. Less adult niche, more general audience?
    I hope that they don't drop Black Label, Harleen was amazing and I was hoping that the line might churn out more of that caliber. Plus it's been very profitable I think.

I hope that they don't drop Black Label, Harleen was amazing and I was hoping that the line might churn out more of that caliber. Plus it's been very profitable I think.

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    It's looking like a massive line reduction and a bigger push for digital. Might even be connected to HBO Max, who knows.
    Eh, I don't do digital. Or streaming. So...
    I'm hoping for more of a push in the book market.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I actually wouldn't be surprised to see them drop all the regular non-Trinity comics and just make Black Label the DCU going forward.
    But letting Doyle go indicates otherwise.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I actually wouldn't be surprised to see them drop all the regular non-Trinity comics and just make Black Label the DCU going forward.
    But letting Doyle go indicates otherwise.
    Unless it's still over Bat-penis. I mean it's been pretty profitable, so maybe someone else will take his place?

I can only hope.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Bleeding Cool article is suggesting that while death metal and batman have sold great, most of DC's books have not been selling well during the pandemic and that may be what is leading to a lot of these layoffs. And the fact that the person in charge of digital strategy at DC is one of the few getting promoted, definitely isn't good news for monthly comics.
    This is the wrong take, I believe.
    monthly comics will still be there, but the focus might shift for full digital and eventually the death of the comic book shop.

from the BC article:
    That DC Collectibles will be wound up as a line of statues and toys, with the rights licensed elsewhere to the like of Mattel or Hasbro.
    do you know what this means? not "there won't be any more statues/toys" but rather "that's one less thing that we have to ship ourselves to the comic shops"

It won't happen soon, it will also not be announced soon either, but eventually, someone on DC will say something among the lines of "starting X date all of our products will only be available for purchase on X website"
    If you want a paper comic book, you will have to go to their site, buy it and it will ship to your house, and it won't include singles, only trades and if you are interested in the story you can still read it on the same website for a cents on the dollar, or even free if you have a subscription that will cost at the most $10 a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I was just reading an article about WB's new CEO, and he wants to push for the global market.
    In the article, he stated that right now WB makes one-third of its profits from outside the US, and that he want's to change it to where 70% of the profits come from outside the US.
    He's not going to get that with DC Comics focusing on physical product. Digital is more accessible globally.
    So I think we'll be seeing a lot more digital.
    Exactly, this is just the first domino to fall in very long chain.
    Maybe even the second one after Didio got ousted.
    Last edited by Arnoldoaad; 08-10-2020 at 06:09 PM.

Mighty Member

I'm shocked Harras is back in the news. Wasn't he an editor when Marvel went under back in 95?

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

So Lee is still in but he's being moved to a new position and the head of the digital division now answers to him. Theory: AT&T is putting their own people and going in a different direction. Is this the end of floppies? Don't know.
    Assassinate Putin!

Let’s be honest, we knew this day was coming the moment DC broke the deal with Diamond.

Sorry for those losing their jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterfall View Post
    Let’s be honest, we knew this day was coming the moment DC broke the deal with Diamond.

We knew this before, tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterfall View Post

... how the heck is any of this connected to Diamond?

Tom Taylor has a comment on this.

https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/st...803856897?s=19