Page 13 of 59 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Layoffs at DC?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I find it concerning that they're cutting back on stuff that relies on a standard, ongoing, continuity and the actual writers of said continuity.
    Speaking for myself, I think DC has worshiped at the altar of continuity for too long, and need to relearn storytelling and engaging characters. So I'm pretty on-board with such a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    I can see this. Although I'm not so sure that Batwoman is safe (even her TV series has a new Batwoman).

Cassandra could have stories in OGN (since she has a pretty unique background), but it will depende of reception.

Tim and Stephanie could be forgotten in monthly. I don't think OGN will have much interest on them either.
    Will DC go looking for writers of Tim or Steph? No.

But I hope that the future DC, after going through these changes, will be much more ready to publish a story of Steph as Batgirl (or Robin!), or Tim as Robin than they are today. The quality of the pitch will be more important than how well it fits into DC's current continuity.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Well, there's probably not much for Bendis to do if they're really scaling back on the mainline comics.
    Yeah! I can see that as well. That can have a high chance of leading to any negotiation falling through. The guy wouldn't be motivated.
    If continuity, status quo.. Etc aren't much an issue and they have an animation studio. Would a Japanese manga model of production, distribution and marketing be possible. Essentially, make stories with ips that have start, middle and end, is very self contained. Make animated feature or movies as advertisements for comics and avenue for making money , while the issues are being released in a systematic way.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 08-11-2020 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Speaking for myself, I think DC has worshiped at the altar of continuity for too long, and need to relearn storytelling and engaging characters. So I'm pretty on-board with such a change.
    But that continuity has lent itself to storytelling and developing engaging characters, so I'm not seeing any "worshipping" so much as just eschewing an established storytelling device that they've developed over years.

Stuff like Stargirl, probably the most popular DC show right now, felt like a love letter to DC continuity, especially the Golden Age.

But I hope that the future DC, after going through these changes, will be much more ready to publish a story of Steph as Batgirl (or Robin!), or Tim as Robin than they are today. The quality of the pitch will be more important than how well it fits into DC's current continuity.
    I guess we better start hoping there are authors out there interested in them beyond comic writers. I felt like Cass kind of lucked out on that front.
    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Yeah! I can see that as well. That can have a high chance of leading to any negotiation falling through. The guy wouldn't be motivated.
    If continuity, status quo.. Etc aren't much an issue and they have an animation studio. Would a Japanese manga model of production, distribution and marketing be possible. Essentially, make stories with ips that have start, middle and end, is very self contained. Make animated feature or movies as advertisements for comics and avenue for making money , while the issues are being released in a systematic way.
    I prefer the old model for American comics, personally. And I say this as a manga/anime fan.

That really for the people loosing their jobs

Bobbie Chase really stings...

Thank you to all business educated folks who are trying to at the very least offer some educated insight/theory.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Speaking for myself, I think DC has worshiped at the altar of continuity for too long,
    Wonder Woman alone proves they have the exact opposite problem.

and need to relearn storytelling and engaging characters.
    The two are not mutually exclusive.

I suspect they’ll put more of the decision-making back in the hands of the consumers. It won’t be “Where does Tim Drake fit in our elaborate fictional universe?” so much as “Do people buy OGNs with Tim Drake in them?” If so, Tim will be Robin on the shelf right next to Dick and Damian as Robin. Less emphasis on continuity, more on the bottom line.
    Last edited by Jadeb; 08-11-2020 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadeb View Post
    I suspect they’ll put more of the decision-making back in the hands of the consumers. It won’t be “Where does Tim Drake fit in our elaborate fictional universe?” so much as “Do people buy. OGNs with Tim Drake in them?” If so, Tim will be Robin on the shelf right next to Dick and Damian as Robin. Less emphasis on continuity, more on the bottom line.
    But that would also require them to put out more stuff with Tim to begin with...

I’m just hoping I can get something Blue Beetle related out of all this mess. Please! A OGN would be cool.
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

But that would also require them to put out more stuff with Tim to begin with...
    He is doomed, his future is the limbo and probably the same goes for the YJ gen. They hadn't been sucessfull in a while and the new management probably won't see any reason to keep then around. Thought i could see Steph being saved for her connection to Batgirl.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    I can see this. Although I'm not so sure that Batwoman/Kate Kane is safe (even her TV series has a new Batwoman).

Cassandra could have stories in OGN (since she has a pretty unique background), but it will depende of reception.

Tim and Stephanie could be forgotten in monthly. I don't think OGN will have much interest on them either.
    wow. I didn't think anyone would agree with me.

things are worse than I thought.

i'm at the depression stage of grief now.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jadeb View Post
    I suspect they’ll put more of the decision-making back in the hands of the consumers. It won’t be “Where does Tim Drake fit in our elaborate fictional universe?” so much as “Do people buy. OGNs with Tim Drake in them?” If so, Tim will be Robin on the shelf right next to Dick and Damian as Robin. Less emphasis on continuity, more on the bottom line.
    I think the question would be this: Do we need Tim in our OGNs? Or we could use Dick instead?

Different OGNs are independent of each other. So, they probably could use Dick in many different stories even some that will "fit" Tim better.

In The Lost Carnival: A Dick Grayson Graphic Novel, the parents of Dick are alive all the time. So, they could even change the background of a character to fit the narrative.

Stephanie is in a similar situation, since they may prefer to use Barbara for stories that "fits" her, except maybe the criminal father (but they have Cassandra for that). Although a female Robin could be something more "unique".
    Last edited by Konja7; 08-11-2020 at 10:33 AM.

Ultimate Member

One thing folks have to understand just because the direct market hates certain characters. Does not mean everyone else does.

Who was looking for a story with Squirrel Girl? Yet she got a New York Times selling book.

DC has to be willing to hear those pitches. Dc has to be willing to look at ALL writers not just certain ones.

DC has to be willing to look at the market (BEYOND Batman) and understand what needs to be done.

Because there are markets out there for ANYONE to take full control of. The book market for black boys for example is WIDE open. This is not me saying it but folks in the industry telling me this. Even schools are screaming for it. DC could OWN it before Marvel does.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    One thing folks have to understand just because the direct market hates certain characters. Does not mean everyone else does.

Who was looking for a story with Squirrel Girl? Yet she got a New York Times selling book.

DC has to be willing to hear those pitches. Dc has to be willing to look at ALL writers not just certain ones.

DC has to be willing to look at the market (BEYOND Batman) and understand what needs to be done.
    DC's not willing.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    OBecause there are markets out there for ANYONE to take full control of. The book market for black boys for example is WIDE open. This is not me saying it but folks in the industry telling me this. Even schools are screaming for it. DC could OWN it before Marvel does.
    Marvel has Miles Morales and Black Panther. DC would have to progress leaps and bounds to own it before Marvel.

Depending on how this shakes out, we may have to stop thinking of this from within the current comics bubble. Basically, it looks like the preferences of the comic shop die-hards are being de-prioritized. Under this new corporate template, the focus seems to be on expanding the reach of the characters regardless of the media format. If Tim sells YA OGNs, or more video downloads, or more something, we'll get more Tim. If not, we won't. But his convoluted history in the comic-shop offerings won't matter nearly as much. "But but but he isn't needed anymore" isn't much of an argument compared with "Does he make money?"

So, yeah, this could be terrible for DC's secondary and tertiary characters. Or it might not be. Most likely, I think, is that it will be very bad for some (most) and very good for others, and in unpredictable ways.
    Last edited by Jadeb; 08-11-2020 at 10:44 AM.