Page 9 of 59 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Layoffs at DC?

Quote Originally Posted by Jadeb View Post
    I’d say the industry is failing, in no small part, because middle-aged die-hards have too much influence, not too little. If there’s an upshot to what’s happened today, it may be to recenter DC’s efforts on mainstream audiences.
    I'm interested to see what DC does with digital now.

Well, I was apparently dead wrong back on page 1. This was some major impact on DC's publishing side.

Lots of good analysis by Ascended earlier in the thread. My read is that the "new" DC will be far more integrated into WB and AT&T, and dependant on other departments there. I guess DC will be more of a production studio than an independant publisher. Which might work or might not, but it will be some rough going for a while within all of WB.

If there is a good thing to come out of this one, it might break the old boys networks that has been dominating DC for too long, and possibly also the protectionist groupings that I get the impression that DC editorial has been. Now, I think that is something that needed doing, but in this case I think it will mostly be a side effect of a general bloodbath.

I also guess it will suck for UCS Comic Distributors and Lunar Distribution, given that they have just made some noticable investments into becoming distributors, and then their most important client immediately gets through a big downsizing. And yes, I agree with Ascended and others that any cuts in the publishing side will mostly be felt in the periodicals.

That Michele Wells is mentioned as the new co-publisher is a hopeful sign for me on the creative side. While Black Label has been plagued by delays and missteps, the YA lines have mostly been chugging along producing solid work that still have managed to break new ground, creatively speaking. Getting that combination right is hard to manage, but Wells evidently does.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I hope the folks at DC who've lost their jobs today land on their feet and this most recent corporate shakeup lead to a stronger company moving forward that further shifts its focus away from chasing after the same dwindling fanbase.

Middle-aged hardcore fans have been catered to by mainstream comics for too many years. Hopefully, this leads to some positive change. Otherwise this just sucks.

Both DC and Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I mean, people have been calling for major shake-ups at the editorial level in order to see some major changes in DC's books; this seems like what that is. sorry to people who're about to lose their job but haven't a lot of these people been around for a grip? general consensus has been DC has been on a decline for years, so if this is what needs to be done to fix the line then I guess it's a necessary evil. mind you I don't know all that much about how things go on behind the scene anyway, maybe this could spell disaster. however, I would like to believe this shake up leads to better management and by extension stories I can actually invest it because DC has been lacking in that. hey wishful thinking, maybe this will open up opportunities for more people of color in higher positions that can get more diverse storytelling; and you know, less sexists and harrassment enablers too would be nice. I'm just waiting and seeing man, waiting and seeing.
    Pretty sure some of the people who were victims of sexism and harassment would be hurt by these layoffs too.

I deleted a few posts, mostly because they were landing in talking about hate group territory.
    The Mod Team here at the CBR Forums do not want to give hate groups any sort of platform. They're not worthy of us.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Marvel should snap up Harras and Bobbie Chase if they are available. Marvel needs good editors right now.
    Harras is not a good editor.

Astonishing Member

In this situation, I am interested in who will be put in charge. And how will the direction change in general, what will happen to comics in general.
    There's almost a funeral on Twitter, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I remember, it would have been a big mistake; but it does seem AT&T is pivoting DC away from comics as we know them into something else.
    Did someone just spend five years on a hellish island? And then decide they had to become someone else and the company had to become something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Wally West View Post
    Bob Harras was one of the big architects of new 52 and a lot of the grimdark stuff that came after it (alongside Didio who was already doing the grimdark thing for a decade up to that point) right? He was also a big backer of Liefeld and Scott Lobdell if I recall correctly.
    Harras was also the guy in charge at Marvel when they went bankrupt in the 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    I have no idea if DC FanDome will be effected because At&t is trying to get money back so stopping an event with highly anticipated content doesn't seem smart. Wtf is going on at WB and At&t?
    Surely Fandome will be affected. No point releasing anything that involves sacked staff.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    To be fair DC has been in a tailspin since New 52 more or less bombed. I honestly don't know how much more lead way you could give them when the people in charge were still hell bent on the old ways.

I could even envision a scenario where AT&T just licenses the comic book portion to other publishers, and focus strictly on GNs, books, and other adaptable media. Think about it - DC could strike a deal with Marvel where Marvel can write and distribute DC characters, then use those stories - written by Marvel! - as a basis for their movies or animated television shows.

And while I've heard that comics themselves are still profitable in a technical sense, the headaches of publishing & distributing monthly comic books especially with the direct market model is no longer worth the minuscule amount of money DC brings in.
    Licence to Marvel? Well, that would actually solve one problem - they could revive Amalgam Comics!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Not suprised by this like at all. I have talked about it months ago when I shared a link of AT&T laying off thousands of their staff that this is going to affect DC eventually.

World economy was already not doing good for years now and the pendaminc has speed up the process.
    Last edited by Rise; 08-11-2020 at 04:00 AM.
    “Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving.”
    – Dale Carnegie

I hope you guys enjoy the future of just Batman Comics
    Sorry to see so many people lose their job but this was the shoe that was always going to drop when At&T acquired DC
    It took some time but usually a corporate realignment means that all the aspects of the company has been evaluated and shown what's successful and what's not. This was always coming its just shocking because its in the middle of the pandemic
    Looking at the layoffs
    Mature comics seem to be getting the axe
    All age books looks like the future

Ultimate Member

https://twitter.com/JAMALIGLE/status...44041740275713

Jamal “Insidious SJW” Igle
    @JAMALIGLE
    L Brands (the parent company of Victoria’s Secret) laid off 850 corporate jobs last month. I didn’t see anyone launching into tirades about “The Death of Lingerie”.

There's almost a funeral on Twitter, lol.
    Lead by folks who just got done throwing a fit over a variant Wonder Woman cover that is not Wonder Wonder herself.
    Folks who have NOT looked at a DC book since the final season of Star Trek The Next Generation.
    Folks who have not spent a CENT on a comic since the 1990s.
    Folks who will scream (blank) is horrible talent but have NEVER read one of their books.

It doesn’t say “how” they’re going to be expanding the brand. I doubt it will be via comics with so many editors being let go, that’s for sure.
    Yeah the how is key. Are comics included in that expansion? I have my doubts.
    I would say the bigger question is WHO gets to be used. Which leads to this.....

And reprints would be a good way to keep secondary characters "around" with the main line cut to sh*t.
    One issue with that.
    How does that work for folks who don't have anything let alone anything of interest to reprint?

Lets say that expanding wants to include anyone from the tv shows.
    Thunder and Lightning have not been in comics for now 10 years. Star Girl is just now coming back. In fact how does that help POC & LGBTQIA? The folks who barely have that much to begin with? Or anything significant outside of first appearances.
    I mean what could you reprint with say Bumblebee?

I hear folks say we needs to get some big names-no how about get some folks who can WRITE? And give them support and the right books to do. Living and dying by big names is how the good old boy network thrived and comic book stores gate keep.

What a painfully stupid comparison. "Lingerie" aren't part of dying medium like comics are and it's understandable why comic fans are worried.
    “Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving.”
    – Dale Carnegie

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Can't imagine artists having a lot savings to fall back on. For a lot of people the world just got smaller. There's not only less monthly comics there's also less money to be spend entertainment.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jadeb View Post
    I’d say the industry is failing, in no small part, because middle-aged die-hards have too much influence, not too little. If there’s an upshot to what’s happened today, it may be to recenter DC’s efforts on mainstream audiences.
    Quoted for the simplest of truths.

Can't imagine artists having a lot savings to fall back on. For a lot of people the world just got smaller. There's not only less monthly comics there's also less money to be spend entertainment.
    $3.95 or $4.95 for a 22 page comic that takes 2 min to read when for $10 i could buy two floppy comics that would give me 4 min to read then stick it in a box or buy a 200 page manga or used trade and get hours to read and looks great on my bookcase.

Guess what most people would choose.