Page 2 of 59 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Layoffs at DC?

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    This is a lot worse than it seems apparently: https://twitter.com/asher_elbein/sta...54315770994697

Bob Harras is apparently gone; so are editors Mark Doyle, Brian Cunningham and Andy Khouri

Jim Lee is still at the company, but no longer publisher.

DC Collectibles is no more.
    Damn. End of DC ongoings?

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Bleeding Cool article is suggesting that while death metal and batman have sold great, most of DC's books have not been selling well during the pandemic and that may be what is leading to a lot of these layoffs. And the fact that person in charge of digital strategy at DC is one of the few getting promoted, definitely isn't good news for monthly comics.

Damn. I mean, first off sorry for those who lost their jobs. That's not fun, ever.

But from a comics standpoint, there isn't even a publisher or EIC right now. Things are dire.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Unless they lay off everyone and close DC Comics, I'll refrain from waving the "End is Near!' sign.

Everyone does like to jump onto that, though.

Companies start = excitement
    Companies end = excitement

No one seems to care about any of the time between.
    They just want to be around when a titan falls so they can say 'I was there' when it happened.

At the worst, Warner could just fold DC into their books division. Which really wouldn't be a bad thing.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 08-10-2020 at 04:21 PM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

This is a lot worse than it seems apparently: https://twitter.com/asher_elbein/sta...54315770994697

Bob Harras is apparently gone; so are editors Mark Doyle, Brian Cunningham and Andy Khouri

This is a bloodbath!
    Assassinate Putin!

Jeez, this seems serious.

I'm not as sure about Cunningham or Khouri but Doyle did good work on the Bat-line.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    One would hope that AT&T are smart and keep ongoings if not for the fans but for future storylines they can mine for movies, tv, and video games.

I mean The CW is basically a DC TV channel with DC properties on every night of the week, they're trying to regain the excitement of DC Cinematic with the Snyder Cut; but if they do cut DC publishing they would really be hobbling their entire entertainment arm.

Unless they move to a TPB model with their books which would (IMHO) be a very wise decision

Holy s@#% this looks bad.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Wow... This is quite the shake up. This might make DCfandome kinda awkward...

Isn’t this basically a direct result of them dumping diamond? (Well, and the virus, of course)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    One would hope that AT&T are smart and keep ongoings if not for the fans but for future storylines they can mine for movies, tv, and video games.

I mean The CW is basically a DC TV channel with DC properties on every night of the week, they're trying to regain the excitement of DC Cinematic with the Snyder Cut; but if they do cut DC publishing they would really be hobbling their entire entertainment arm.

Unless they move to a TPB model with their books which would (IMHO) be a very wise decision
    It would be cheaper to do TPB or digests and reach more folks and get out of the direct market. Who won't mind a book NOT starring Batman.

Because what good is doing ongoings when most of your books or those you WANT to use aren't welcomed?

What good is the publishing side if Star Girl, Black Lightning and others don't have books be it floppies or TPB being made?

At the worst, Warner could just fold DC into their books division. Which really wouldn't be a bad thing.
    To me it smells like clear EVERYONE out from the past and eventually bring in new folks if you want to continue monthlys.

This definitely seems dire for monthly floppy issues. They could be starting a big shift to digital and/or more TPB. The writing has been on the wall for a long time.

As far as the collectables, it may just be cheaper to license their properties to other companies.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    It would be cheaper to do TPB or digests and reach more folks and get out of the direct market. Who won't mind a book NOT starring Batman.

Because what good is doing ongoings when most of your books or those you WANT to use aren't welcomed?

What good is the publishing side if Star Girl, Black Lightning and others don't have books be it floppies or TPB being made?

To me it smells like clear EVERYONE out from the past and eventually bring in new folks if you want to continue monthlys.
    This is my thinking as well, niche characters can get a 120 page tpb which would not only pad out the DC universe more but give opportunities to a diverse group of writers to work on a diverse group of heroes and not just Batman World fight evil Batmen

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Isn’t this basically a direct result of them dumping diamond? (Well, and the virus, of course)
    Yes and no.

While Batman and Death Metal have sold very well indeed, and graphic novels got a big boost from bookstores during the shutdown, the midlist – middle range monthly books across the DC range – suffered a major sales shock.
    How one gets the book does not matter if the book is still crappy.
    We won't even get into fans who left because they were fed up with how their favorites were done.

That virus just sped this and with folks losing jobs-those who would hate buy a title stopped or found something else they liked instead.

This might make DCfandome kinda awkward...
    If they have it. Although it's mainly talent on shows and movies with the except of Priest, Randolph, King and Igle. If they don't bail I would assume something related to comics is still going on.

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    Wow... This is quite the shake up. This might make DCfandome kinda awkward...
    Seems like some of the material recorded for it is now going in the bin. Doesn't make sense for it to show people who've just been fired.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman