Page 29 of 59 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Thread: Layoffs at DC?

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Batman is over exposed and relying too much on him played role in the current mess.The dumpster fire called Death Metal is proof of that.
    True and Death Metal is a fun read and you know that at the end, it will all be reset to some normal status quo

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Well, they did replace Batman not too long ago. And I am not saying you have to like a different Dr Fate or that they should even be changing anything about Dr Fate (I lean towards just making new characters), I am saying the market has to dictate these things and there is no market for Dr Fate right now so the character is unfortunately fair game.
    I agree about creating new characters and yes Dr Fate has been fair game for a while.
    Last edited by Doctor Kent Nelson; 08-12-2020 at 07:29 PM.

I have somewhat mixed feelings about the changes at DC in that I don't think it's all bad, but that's beyond the scope of this thread.

Regarding the layoffs, a letter from Josh Reed, the lettering supervisor at DC, was leaked to Bleeding Cool and Josh says he'll be working until mid-November.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/lett...ayoff-details/

This seems to jibe with the 90-day notice that Newsarama reported that DC gave its fired staff.

But geez, having your last day of work come just before Thanksgiving?

The hits just keep on coming...

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    In some cases, almost 40 years lol

And I’m sorry but Dr Fate isn’t Batman, Superman or a Wonder Woman. There exists more than one version through this history. You can’t just say it has to be Kent and that’s it. There’s plenty of others that have taken on the name, most recently Khalid Nassour, who seems to have somewhat caught on.
    True but DC doesn't have the balls to do anything to their cash cows, rather... they fiddle with grade B, C and D characters to tick their diversity check boxes (blatant tokenism) and it doesn't hurt their back account.

Someone on these boards mentioned it once... a re-imagined Batman whose family came from South Korea to Gotham and they worked for their millions, opposed to "old money". DC would never in a million years make that stick because it would hurt their bottom line and there's the problem right there.

Ultimate Member

Considering we’re talking about the publisher that helped elevate comics with groundbreaking stories such as The Dark Knight Returns, Watchmen, The Sandman, and, more recently, Mister Miracle, this should depress comics fans the most.
    Why most folks were NOT reading Tom King's Mister Miracle DESPITE the press and awards.

I would say it's good news for creators. Those stories can be created and they can KEEP ownership by going elsewhere.

Yeah it will stink that it's not Batman but at least that writer won't get hosed like Frank Miller.

But there are 1000 other characters that may disappear as if they never existed
    There is an easy way to solve that. Get folks who will use who you already have on your roster.

If you want John Stewart with a son-Keith Roberts, Charlie (Justice League Adventures), Tyke (Steel's comic) and Kevin Hudman (Robin).

Yeah it means something you created doesn't get in a movie or tv shows-oh well.

but which hardcore fans should they be aiming? The 90s? 2000s? 80s? 70s? Which version of story? Which detail? Hardcore fans are detail-oriented so some group are bound to be disappointed.
    How about NONE. Hardcore fans certainly made Star Wars TOXIC. We want Ted, Hal, Ronnie &. Barry. HATE. The war of Green Lanterns & Flashes & Novas.

Teen Titans-original team Donna, Speedy, Dick, Wally, Garth & later Mal & Lilith for years 1-3. They are all 13-15.
    TT West happens say in year 3 later.
    Raven, Cyborg, Starfire & Beast boy show up year 4. Ages 17-19. Dick & Wally give their titles.
    Terra shows up in year 5-7. Ages 19-21. Nightwing is born. Wally as Flash or new name.
    Year they PUBLICLY give up the name Teen Titans and be known as Titans. And go about their business. Cyborg can still join Justice League.
    MEANWHILE another team calling themselves TT show up and have been active 1-2. This is Dan and Perez's 1996 TT. They are all 15-17.
    Young Justice never becomes Teen Titans. They are established because of Jason's death and Batman doesn't want junior heroes without training-so Young Justice.
    Jurden's TT break up and the name is dormant until Damian's generation.
    Dick's generation stop being TT age 21. We don't mention their ages again.

How hard is that?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Kent Nelson View Post
    True but DC doesn't have the balls to do anything to their cash cows, rather... they fiddle with grade B, C and D characters to tick their diversity check boxes (blatant tokenism) and it doesn't hurt their back account.

Someone on these boards mentioned it once... a re-imagined Batman whose family came from South Korea to Gotham and they worked for their millions, opposed to "old money". DC would never in a million years make that stick because it would hurt their bottom line and there's the problem right there.
    That actually sounds like a cool pitch to be honest.

With all these random stories coming out and, as pointed out by other posters, creating a small feedback loop on themselves I've ultimately decided that I'm just gonna wait. I doubt heavily that they will say anything during Fandome, let's be honest despite it saying "live" a good chunk of that thing will be prerecorded. At this point it's a wait and see it might take months to actually see it but that's the position we're all in as readers, fans, and customers.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Seems to be a branding thing for the Absolute Collection for Vertigo. The same thing can be seen on Y: The Last Man absolutes that came out prior. And the Preacher softcovers that came out shortly before the Absolutes have the DC Vertigo hybrid logo.

It was probably more about feeling like the DC logo cheapened the Vertigo book, not that DC was ashamed to associate with them.
    Heres the regular 2009 standard hardcover. That doesnt have the logo on the front or back either.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Preacher-Bo...c&sr=8-1-fkmr0

And the 2014 trade
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Preacher-HC...597284506895ap

Cant see the spines though.

Yes embarrassed is the wrong term. Clearly delineated through marketing and imprint titles is perhaps better term..

It will be interesting to see if the dc logo remains on the edition after the 2020 one or if it slips off again

Never the DC logo though on its own. They learnt that lesson the hard way decades earlier.
    Last edited by iron chimp; 08-12-2020 at 07:40 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Why most folks were NOT reading Tom King's Mister Miracle DESPITE the press and awards.

I would say it's good news for creators. Those stories can be created and they can KEEP ownership by going elsewhere.

Yeah it will stink that it's not Batman but at least that writer won't get hosed like Frank Miller.

There is an easy way to solve that. Get folks who will use who you already have on your roster.

If you want John Stewart with a son-Keith Roberts, Charlie (Justice League Adventures), Tyke (Steel's comic) and Kevin Hudman (Robin).

Yeah it means something you created doesn't get in a movie or tv shows-oh well.

How about NONE. Hardcore fans certainly made Star Wars TOXIC. We want Ted, Hal, Ronnie &. Barry. HATE. The war of Green Lanterns & Flashes & Novas.

Teen Titans-original team Donna, Speedy, Dick, Wally, Garth & later Mal & Lilith for years 1-3. They are all 13-15.
    TT West happens say in year 3 later.
    Raven, Cyborg, Starfire & Beast boy show up year 4. Ages 17-19. Dick & Wally give their titles.
    Terra shows up in year 5-7. Ages 19-21. Nightwing is born. Wally as Flash or new name.
    Year they PUBLICLY give up the name Teen Titans and be known as Titans. And go about their business. Cyborg can still join Justice League.
    MEANWHILE another team calling themselves TT show up and have been active 1-2. This is Dan and Perez's 1996 TT. They are all 15-17.
    Young Justice never becomes Teen Titans. They are established because of Jason's death and Batman doesn't want junior heroes without training-so Young Justice.
    Jurden's TT break up and the name is dormant until Damian's generation.
    Dick's generation stop being TT age 21. We don't mention their ages again.

How hard is that?
    so your not a fan ? or you are a fan but they shouldn't do the things you like ?
    I was in a freak accident there were freaks everywhere Dan vs

There’s a bitter irony to Comicsgate celebrating these layoffs on Twitter. One thing is clear: The focus on the traditional 30-40 year old white male weekly warrior is absolutely dead. The good old days that a lot of people were pining for are never coming back. AT&T specifically fired a bunch of people who were defenders of the “traditional” way, and are sending a clear signal that it’s not ever going to be “business as usual” again. The LCS who were being gleeful about sticking it to DC for leaving Diamond are in for a world of hurt. These layoffs are AT&T telling those guys to get f*cked. They don’t care about that market at all and have purged DC of anyone who wanted to support it except for Lee I guess.
    Last edited by Vordan; 08-12-2020 at 11:13 PM.

Spectacular Member Kevin Street's Avatar

You're right that no one should be celebrating this. I don't it's possible for any of us outside DC to perceive any kind of agenda to these layoffs. We don't know anything. They're just a disaster, like an earthquake or a forest fire.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Street View Post
    You're right that no one should be celebrating this. I don't it's possible for any of us outside DC to perceive any kind of agenda to these layoffs. We don't know anything. They're just a disaster, like an earthquake or a forest fire.
    Agreed.

I think it's been confirmed that their last day will be mid-November...just before Thanksgiving.

That is going to be some rough holidays...and they were already going to be some bleak holidays.

Astonishing Member

No EiC or publisher. Damn never seen this happened before.

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    I don't think the OGN has a lot of place for Tim, Bart and Cassie.

DC will likely focus on the big names (or young versions of the big names). Or minorities.
    Good thing Cassandra Cain is Asian lol. Hell, they might make her the new/main Batgirl and push Duke as the new Robin.

I wouldn't mind those changes. I just hope Red Hood survives. WB and DC seem to love him and Deathstroke, so maybe they get put on Suicide Squad to kill 3 birds with one stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/dc-com...ayoffs-fallout

This is pretty much the worst case scenario. Batman will be fine, he’s got plenty of outside media versions that portray him well. But if you’re a character who hasn’t had a good outside media adaption in a while, like Green Lantern for example, what happens to you? We complain about movie synergy but this seems poised to take it to a whole new level. Plus what happens when the adaptions fail like Zack Snyder’s DCEU movies did? If that stuff is supposed to be what drives the IP, what then? Given how utterly incompetent WB has been in handling Superman for example, I have zero faith in them “driving” the character over a comics guy like Grant Morrison.
    I mean, Superman is Superman. The movies may not have been as successful as they could've been, but they're still making Superman merchandise. He'll survive.

Green Lantern will likely be around for the HBO series.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    Good thing Cassandra Cain is Asian lol. Hell, they might make her the new/main Batgirl and push Duke as the new Robin.

I wouldn't mind those changes. I just hope Red Hood survives. WB and DC seem to love him and Deathstroke, so maybe they get put on Suicide Squad to kill 3 birds with one stone.
    I mean Cassie from Cassandra Sandsmark (Wonder Girl).

Cassandra Cain is usually called as Cass.