Page 30 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Thread: Layoffs at DC?

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Kent Nelson View Post
    True but DC doesn't have the balls to do anything to their cash cows, rather... they fiddle with grade B, C and D characters to tick their diversity check boxes (blatant tokenism) and it doesn't hurt their back account.

Someone on these boards mentioned it once... a re-imagined Batman whose family came from South Korea to Gotham and they worked for their millions, opposed to "old money". DC would never in a million years make that stick because it would hurt their bottom line and there's the problem right there.
    That’s true. The only A-lister they seem willing to diversify is Green Lantern, and that’s because the concept lends itself to that. John and Jessica are popular too so it works. Cassandra Cain worked as Batgirl too btw.

As for B-C list heroes getting diverse legacies, sometimes is works (ie Jaime Reyes as Blue Beetle became the definitive version).

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I mean, Superman is Superman. The movies may not have been as successful as they could've been, but they're still making Superman merchandise. He'll survive.

Green Lantern will likely be around for the HBO series.
    Yeah that wasn’t the best choice. Here’s a better one: What happens to a character like Mr. Terrific who is getting a fantastic showing over in Strange Adventures, but might not ever make the leap to the big screen? The Arrowverse did a version of him I know, not sure just how well received that was though. Where is Holt going to go if they’re cutting the line down to the Leaguers and (maybe) the Titans?

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah that wasn’t the best choice. Here’s a better one: What happens to a character like Mr. Terrific who is getting a fantastic showing over in Strange Adventures, but might not ever make the leap to the big screen? The Arrowverse did a version of him I know, not sure just how well received that was though. Where is Holt going to go if they’re cutting the line down to the Leaguers and (maybe) the Titans?
    He gets a project every February?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Astonishing Member

Out of curiosity, I tried to remember how many titles were published by DC 20-something years ago, or even earlier. I am to lazy to check the old solicitations myself, but if I remember it well there were maximum 35-40 series which took place in the DCU. IMHO this means two things:

1- We don't need 52 titles to get a good range of choices in terms of superhero titles.
    2- Even if it had many, many problems, the New52 was probably the best initiative in terms of diversity the DCU has had in relatively recent times (and I have a strong suspect that Didio, rather than destroying the DCU, made every possible effort to keep the comic books alive and without him the transition to IP farm would have happened earlier).

Apparently, one of the consequences of the current DC implosion will be the reduction of titles. Without taking the job loss problem into account (I personally consider the current situation nothing less than a disaster), apparently fewer titles wouldn't necessarily be a problem, would they? I mean, it's not that we NEED 52 series.
    Well... Not really. The problem is not that we'll get fewer comic books, but what kind of comic books we'll get. The way I see it, DC books have become ancillary to the adaptations (movies, TV series, videogames) and the merchandise. They are basically a "necessary evil" for AT&T to keep the IPs. And apparently they are interested in a specific type of adaptations in terms of demographics.
    But this means that it will become increasingly impossible to get gambles like the ones we had in the past. Gambles like Watchmen, or Tom King's Mister Miracle, or Morrison's Seven Soldiers, or Ellis' Planetary, or Doom Patrol in any of its recent versions. I mean, what I really fear is that future DC books will be "safe bets" like Venditti's Man of Tomorrow (which, as far as I am concerned, is abysmal).

If you check most DC and Marvel titles (but some Image comic books too) and you compare them to older comic books, you'll see that the focus on adaptations has been influencing the way these books are written and drawn for a very long time. I mean, how many books have you read in recent times that really try to explore the possibilities of comics as a medium? Most series today look like storyboards for a forthcoming TV series. In many details - the way the characters speak, how they act, even the costumes, which have become more and more realistic or even absent in some cases. I guess that these are just aspects of a broader problem which can't be really solved, but it was somehow comforting that, in general, there were some alternatives like Mister Miracle, made in a specific way which can exist ONLY in a comic book. But I don't see anything like it happening in the future.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

So, action comics and detective comics as anthology wouldn't be bad. In fact, i would love it.

Extraordinary Member

True but DC doesn't have the balls to do anything to their cash cows, rather... they fiddle with grade B, C and D characters to tick their diversity check boxes (blatant tokenism) and it doesn't hurt their back account.

Someone on these boards mentioned it once... a re-imagined Batman whose family came from South Korea to Gotham and they worked for their millions, opposed to "old money". DC would never in a million years make that stick because it would hurt their bottom line and there's the problem right there.
    If they re-imagined Batman in a way that alienates the fans, it would probably not just "hurt their bottom line" it would put them out of business.

And the idea behind re-imagined something (out side of elseworlds, where they actually did stuff similar to that) is usually to update it and make in more popular/popular again, Batman is still the best selling superhero so why mess with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    That’s true. The only A-lister they seem willing to diversify is Green Lantern, and that’s because the concept lends itself to that. John and Jessica are popular too so it works. Cassandra Cain worked as Batgirl too btw.

As for B-C list heroes getting diverse legacies, sometimes is works (ie Jaime Reyes as Blue Beetle became the definitive version).
    Sadly, Jaime has been pretty much dumped. Ted Kord is the main Blue Beetle for DC. Jaime had a brief appearance in The Terrifics but it was just because Taylor has a storyline feature Ted over in Suicide Squad. DC has Jessica Cruz as their Hispanic representation so I guess that’s pretty much the extent of their diversity in that category.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Well, they did replace Batman not too long ago.
    He was never really replaced. It was more like a vacation until Bruce decided to put the costume back on.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    Gambles like Watchmen, or Tom King's Mister Miracle, or Morrison's Seven Soldiers, or Ellis' Planetary, or Doom Patrol in any of its recent versions. I mean, what I really fear is that future DC books will be "safe bets" like Venditti's Man of Tomorrow (which, as far as I am concerned, is abysmal).
    It might be my limited exposure, but I don't believe dc gambles alot or tries new ip or projects that often to begin with to make me feel much difference. I mean, the frequency of those books being made aren't that frequent. As far as i know, We also don't have that much hit and misses to say that dc swings for the fences. Those who try narratives fairly have a number of misses, before landing it. Moreover, i believe moore had made a name for himself before they decided to take the risk with watchmen. Same deal with king, morrison.. Etc. I am not saying there wasn't risks and everything was huge. But, it was significantly less. Its not like someone totally new in the industry pitched a radical idea or story and they decided to take a chance.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah I think they will still do some riskier stuff as OGNs (I mean a lot of the Ink and Zoom Books or stuff like White Knight are also not exactly safe), at least as long it involves DC characters.

I'm not sure if they would do something more original like Watchmen, but most writers who want to do that would currently probably anyway go to one of the smaller publisher or crowd fund their books.

Morrison, Moore and Ellis had established themselves already before going to DC, but I think that King has made most of his work in DC system, no?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Morrison, Moore and Ellis had established themselves already before going to DC, but I think that King has made most of his work in DC system, no?
    As far as I remember, Morrison had just created Zenith and something else before DC (I am not sure that this means that he had established himself), Moore had made 2000AD stories and Marvel books (even if I think that he really became a superstar with his DC works) and Ellis was - and has generally been - mostly Wildstorm. Tom King has mostly been DC.
    My point was not the single writers' career though. I mean, IMHO stuff like Seven Soldiers can be considered a gamble even if Morrison was already a famous writer when he created it. I was mostly thinking in terms of what we get DC these days and what we may get from DC in 1, 2 years. It's obvious that works like Mister Miracle, or New Frontier, or Multiversity are not something we get from DC in large quantity on a monthly basis (and it's equally obvious that DC not creating a new Watchmen in 30 years and keeping milking the original story ever since is a huge problem). However, as far as I am concerned, they are among the few DC things which are worth buying. They are relatively rare gambles, but at the same time they are the stories people remembers fondly and keep in mind, DC revisits and uses for subsequent events, adaptations etc.
    The point is that a DC which is entirely focused on safe bets, with no Vertigo, no Young Animal, no Black Label, no stories on the same scale of Sandman, All Star Superman etc, is just not that interesting. It's not that readers wouldn't have an alternative - Image releases way better, more experimental material and its company approach is generally more ethical than DC. I am simply saying that, well, we are getting just a bunch of interesting stuff from DC these days, but we may just get nothing in some years.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    I don't think the OGN has a lot of place for Tim, Bart and Cassie.

DC will likely focus on the big names (or young versions of the big names). Or minorities.
    Why wouldn't the OGN have any place for them? It's not like DC only gave those to minorities.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    No EiC or publisher. Damn never seen this happened before.
    There are publishers still, the two women mentioned in the bleeding cool and comics beat articles. And the esports person is supposed to take over the EIC duties when he starts next month.