Page 41 of 59 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast

Thread: Layoffs at DC?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Unless you think he is lying or avoiding half the question.
    I think he could be avoiding half the question.

I don't even understand where that rumor of a deal with Marvel is from.

Astonishing Member

Unless you think he is lying or avoiding half the question.
    I think he's trying to calm us...and assure us that Marvel won't be publishing Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post

i agree

and the rumor is possibly from these boards.

My questions: How many decisions is Jim Lee going to make? How much say does he have in this? Could ATT/WB pull the rug out from under him?
    Last edited by scary harpy; 08-14-2020 at 01:30 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post

From the more extreme speculation that the AT&T was getting out of the (monthly) comic business. I saw more suggestions that they would license it out to someone like IDW, but Marvel was probably mentioned by someone. Regardless of the possibility he is only talking about the Marvel part, two other questions and answers in that interview strongly talk about continuing on the monthly publishing, and without any evidence to suggest they are transitioning to OGN, we may as well claim he never said denied Batman would be in every comic, either.

Incredible Member

Some interesting ideas in that jim lee interview. A few things stood out

1. Books for 12 to 45 year olds. Currently the books are 13+. Does going to 12 affect the content? Ie the legal guidelines for what they can do in the books. (Personally i think all of dcs books are entirely suitable for 11+ or even below but thats another topic)

2. Regional content produced in that region. Ok thats interesting but
    A. I can guarantee any regional content produced in UK will totally take the piss. Britain has zero history of superheroes beyond creating obnoxious dicks like zenith, paradax etc. 2000ad recently had a story where superheroes were disembowelled so if they are thinking they are going to green lantern in a bowler hat drinking tea
    .. then no... no you wont.

B. What do you do in say yr Eire office when someone writes about IRA creating an uberman to attack uk (or vice versa ) or in korea if someone creates a japanese war crimes hunter or in nigeria someone takes a sideswipe at sharia... etc etc. This seems a potentially very inflammatory idea no matter how laudable it also seems.

C. International = digital seems to be the message there. With dcs temporary international distro deal with diamond running out in December (i think?) And i cant see how its economically viable for anyone else to do it then are we seeing the end of monthly physical books outside the usa?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post
    1. Books for 12 to 45 year olds. Currently the books are 13+. Does going to 12 affect the content? Ie the legal guidelines for what they can do in the books. (Personally i think all of dcs books are entirely suitable for 11+ or even below but thats another topic)

2. Regional content produced in that region.
    1. Do not focus on the exact ages, he is just saying that they see two different age markets.

2. a) b) Not anymore likely than allowing it to happen out of their Burbank publishing office.

c) maybe, but they are probably looking for someone.

btw, take a look at the DC FanDome lineup, there is a huge focus on the international markets in the lineup of content.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Some interesting ideas in that jim lee interview. A few things stood out

2. Regional content produced in that region. Ok thats interesting but
    A. I can guarantee any regional content produced in UK will totally take the piss. Britain has zero history of superheroes beyond creating obnoxious dicks like zenith, paradax etc. 2000ad recently had a story where superheroes were disembowelled so if they are thinking they are going to green lantern in a bowler hat drinking tea
    .. then no... no you wont.

B. What do you do in say yr Eire office when someone writes about IRA creating an uberman to attack uk (or vice versa ) or in korea if someone creates a japanese war crimes hunter or in nigeria someone takes a sideswipe at sharia... etc etc. This seems a potentially very inflammatory idea no matter how laudable it also seems.

C. International = digital seems to be the message there. With dcs temporary international distro deal with diamond running out in December (i think?) And i cant see how its economically viable for anyone else to do it then are we seeing the end of monthly physical books outside the usa?
    I believe 13+ is when you can put in bloody violence and sexy times like partial nudity and making out.

for kids you can put cartoon violence but no blood and no swears

1. Do not focus on the exact ages, he is just saying that they see two different age markets.

2. a) b) Not anymore likely than allowing it to happen out of their Burbank publishing office.

btw, take a look at the DC FanDome lineup, there is a huge focus on the international markets in the lineup of content.
    How so ? I haven't been following the news about the Fan-Dome.

Considering the fact that Super-heroes aren't that big in French pop-culture (at least French heroes) I wonder how it'd work here...

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    And I'm sure this push will involve trying to change that.

Suicide Squad has been consistently published in some capacity since 2011, so that will likely continue.
    There was no SS published between February and November 2019

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    How so ? I haven't been following the news about the Fan-Dome.

Considering the fact that Super-heroes aren't that big in French pop-culture (at least French heroes) I wonder how it'd work here...
    Rendez-vous with DC: France – Panel
    Saturday, Aug 22 – 8:00 PM
    WatchVerse – Kandor

Encore Sunday, Aug 23 – 11:15 AM

Hosted by DC fan and expert Terry LTAM, this unique program illustrates what makes DC such a rich pop culture universe especially beloved in France. France Celebrates DC" features a roundtable conversation with journalists and experts who share their thoughts and insights into the multiple DC properties they've experienced and covered in different ways. From TV shows and movies, to games, animation, comics and Cons, Maximilien Pierrette, François Hercouet, Yannick Le Fur, Asma El Mardi and Jehanne Bargaoui will talk about why DC is celebrated in France. In "An Artist Conversation with Stéphane Roux," Terry will converse with the internationally renowned DC artist Stéphane Roux. From his inspiration to his ways of creating and drawing new storylines, Stéphane will reveal what the fans have always wanted to know about his work! Finally, "Influence of DC on French Artists & Fans" will showcase interviews by artists that have been influenced in their work by DC. Douglas Attal (Director), Dorothee Pousseo (dubbing actor), Simon Astier (director/actor), Hichem (gamer), Carole Quintaine (YouTuber) will share how their passion for DC has been a source of ongoing creativity. THIS PANEL IS IN FRENCH LANGUAGE WITH ENGLISH SUBTITLES ONLY 135 min
    There are similar panels for other countries. Hopefully this is all part of a well thought out plan, but it could be unconnected.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I sincerely hope writers from other backgrounds are edited strongly because usually they just come in, wing it and deliver a mess. See: Kreisberg, Guggenheim, Picoult.

Sometimes it's very hit-or-miss: Smith, Meltzer.

Do we know of any examples where they hit it out of the park?

This is all for main line, of course. Anything goes in Elseworlds and YA stuff.
    I think DC's editors will need to relearn how to edit stories, yes, in the sense of taking incoming scripts and pitches and making them better. There are of course people at DC who already know that—Stjepan Sejic has mentioned how Andy Khouri improved Harleen—but I hope that "new" DC makes it a far higher priority.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    As I understand it from a friend in copyrighted and trademark law the characters might become free from copyright but the distinctive likeness continues to be a trademark

So for instance

In the future superman might become public domain, but not the distinctive aspects of his design, the sheild and kiss curl iirc

That's one way long established images are protected

But as I say, this is my second hand understanding
    You might be able to create your own Superman and Batman comics 15 years from now, but they would be modeled after their versions in Action Comics #1 and Detective Comics #27.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Incredible Member

1. The exact ages make a difference legally

2. Whos going to police it is the point? So its fine to have a nazi hunter story but not a Japanese war crimes story? Be uproar in korea over that. Sneak in some nationalist symbol in balkans book and next thing you know its an international incident. The rest of the world isnt burbank and burbank isnt the oracle.

C) id be very surprised if its economically viable to use a distro independent of diamond in uk. Id be happy obviously but very surprised if they could do it

Yes i looked at fandome - france spain italy etc - that's why i raised points about regional content. You dont think they dont have their own garth ennis etc who arent going to totally take the piss or people that want to make highly political works? Thats what regional issues look like

There are similar panels for other countries. Hopefully this is all part of a well thought out plan, but it could be unconnected.
    Okay, now I'm intruiged. I may not know all those names (most of those, if I'm being honest) but it's clear that DC truly tried here. That's interesting, to say the least.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I believe 13+ is when you can put in bloody violence and sexy times like partial nudity and making out.

for kids you can put cartoon violence but no blood and no swears
    Interesting. Thank you

Extraordinary Member

1. The exact ages make a difference legally

2. Whos going to police it is the point? So its fine to have a nazi hunter story but not a Japanese war crimes story? Be uproar in korea over that. Sneak in some nationalist symbol in balkans book and next thing you know its an international incident. The rest of the world isnt burbank and burbank isnt the oracle.

C) id be very surprised if its economically viable to use a distro independent of diamond in uk. Id be happy obviously but very surprised if they could do it

Yes i looked at fandome - france spain italy etc - that's why i raised points about regional content. You dont think they dont have their own garth ennis etc who arent going to totally take the piss or people that want to make highly political works? Thats what regional issues look like
    1) Ages vary by region, whatever needs to be a certain age where you live might be different than someone a day's drive away. His answer had nothing to do with laws, just on how to focus their offerings.

2) Again, they publish works for the international market already using a lot of international talent. Who polices it already? They will have people in place with knowledge of those sensibilities. At worse it might limit some things, but given how sensitive Hollywood is to China, WB and DC probably have experience in this area.