Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Ah ok, and I already have that! Lovely! Now how the **** do you organize this on a shelf?! Haha!

So I finally read Pulp...

These guys are amazing. Another fantastic piece of art from Brubaker and Phillips. I will say, this one may be sitting amongst the top for me.

Just read Pulp as well. What he said ^^^^
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I just lent Pulp to my non-comic-fan brother-in-law. He loved it (no surprise to us). He asked if I had more, so I just sent home Bad Weekend.

I wasn’t really blown away by Bad Weekend. I’ll reread it soon, maybe I missed something in it that left an underwhelming experience for me, but first I’m going to tackle Cruel Summer. I heard it’s Banaramas. Ha!

Yeah once I tackle Cruel I’ll redo Bad Weekend.

Is there a world you want them to revisit? We just had Criminal. I’d like to see Fatale and Kill or Be Killed revisited. The door was definitely left open for Kill or Be Killed but not really for Fatale if I remember correctly.

I wanted them to do arc for Jen in "Criminal". She was the daughter of a thief who grew up and became a cop. Specifically she works for Internal Affairs. That always felt compelling and I wish she had a bigger role in the overall "Criminal" franchise. Or just make it a one-off like "All my heroes are junkies".

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I wanted them to do arc for Jen in "Criminal". She was the daughter of a thief who grew up and became a cop. Specifically she works for Internal Affairs. That always felt compelling and I wish she had a bigger role in the overall "Criminal" franchise. Or just make it a one-off like "All my heroes are junkies".
    Yeah, I remember her. You’re right. They could craft a really compelling story with her in it. Undoubtedly, involving police corruption but with a twist.

So what’s everyone’s favorite Criminal story so far? I’m rereading Coward, Lawless, & The Dead and The Dying, because I read those so long ago, but besides that, I might have to say it’s been Wrong Place, Wrong Time, or The Last of The Innocent. And also Pulp. Such good work, really.

Just read Reckless this evening, and loved it. It will place quite high up on the list of Bru/Phillips favorites, and I am definitely looking forward to the second volume in April already. I will just have to reread the first volume a couple of times to get me through.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    So what’s everyone’s favorite Criminal story so far? I’m rereading Coward, Lawless, & The Dead and The Dying, because I read those so long ago, but besides that, I might have to say it’s been Wrong Place, Wrong Time, or The Last of The Innocent. And also Pulp. Such good work, really.
    Picking favorite Criminal arcs is like picking favorite children. There just all so good. My favorite is probably always going to be the one I reread most recently, and that will change as I revisit them all. But I do have a fondness for the two standalone specials done in magazine format.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Twice-named View Post
    Is there a world you want them to revisit? We just had Criminal. I’d like to see Fatale and Kill or Be Killed revisited. The door was definitely left open for Kill or Be Killed but not really for Fatale if I remember correctly.
    "Kill or Be Killed" has a sequel hook but I don't know if i want them to actually go through with it.

I think a crossover between "Reckless" and one of the other titles could be fun. "Criminal" feels like the obvious choice but I think you could do one with either "Fade out" or "Kill or be killed".

I bought "Reckless" last week. I liked it but felt the ending was underwhelming. I'm still curious about the next two novels coming out next year.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 12-24-2020 at 10:11 AM.

Astonishing Member

There are plenty of tales that could be told in more Fatale volumes. We've seen some stories from WWII, from the Old West, and from the Medieval era, so the cast can keep changing, but the essential conflict remains the same. The Manson-era story arc was of course especially appropriate for this series, but I would also like to see stories exploring similar activities involving the Fatale character and the Bishop character (whatever their current manifestations may be) during other turbulent historical settings such as the dot-com bubble, the collapse of the USSR, and the Trump administration.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

What's with Ed Brubaker writing a blue/pink haired, pierced woman into his books. Is it his wife guest-starring or what? There's Karon in Catwoman, Stacy in Gotham Central and the girl on the cover of Reckless. Maybe there are more and I missed them. Just me being curious.
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 01-27-2021 at 07:09 AM.